Trying to zero in on a compact MP3 solution
Jun 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ablahblah

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm still relatively new to the audio scene, moving past itunes/zune/youtube and into the realm of ripping lossless tracks and such, and I'm trying to figure out whether it'll be worth it getting a lossless player or not.

I know Zune (which i use, with the Zune Pass subscription thing) will downconvert any wma to 320kbps on my windows phone, which is going to be meh to anything lossless I build up. Have decent headphones, or am getting one at least (EPH-100s), and will be listening to a broad, general range of music.

Really, I'm just having trouble finding good, no-frills compact players. Don't care whether an LCD is on it or not, though they're always handy for zeroing on songs, but I just want something relatively small. The Cowon E2 looks like a really nice option, as both a usb drive and music player, though the 4GB size and bad reviews put me off (button issue I think is resolvable by just sticking a little dab of white-out, glue, etc. that'll make a tactile bump to indicate which side is which). I'm really just not familiar with brands though, trying to by looking around forums and stuff at the moment.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 11
I use a rockboxed iPod 5G and I love it. I can play pretty much any format I can think of and I don't have to rely on iTunes anymore....thank goodness!

As far as no thrills though (since I think the iPod is a bit thrilly), consider the Sansa Clip. Very small and compact and can be rockboxed as well so you can play pretty much any format. It also has an microSD slot so memory is expandable.

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Really, I'm just having trouble finding good, no-frills compact players. Don't care whether an LCD is on it or not, though they're always handy for zeroing on songs, but I just want something relatively small

I have the Yamaha IEM's which I was using with a Cowon D2+.

Yesterday I had a Sansa Clip+ arrive. I've Rockboxed it (to get more tweakability eg; 5 band parametric eq, perfect gapless playback etc), which is free and easy. It's marvellous.

Cheap, small, no-frills, sounds great. It's a no-brainer.

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 11
Sounds like the Clip+ is the most practical option, I haven't been able to get a definitive answer on how it compares to the E2 though? Clearly the lack of a microSD card and display on the E2 give the Clip+ the upper hand anyways, but I'm liking the side controls on the E2, availability of BBE presets, and its overall look (I've been waiting for something I can carabiner on, would also be perfect for this one slot in my backpack actually
rolleyes.gif
). Only weird thing is that charging port.

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 11
I have a Cowon S9, I feel for the money my Clip+ is sadly to say the better sounding player.

It took me buying a Cowon to confirm it,. The Cowon lacks in channel separation, Clip+ does not, my Cowon also delivers a smidgen less clarity. 
frown.gif
 The Cowon however has wider soundstage with better bass reproduction, it's much more refined, so is individual instrument separation but not stereo between channels. Remebering I am using BBE to it's full potentail. However, I paid $30 for my Clip+ Vs $150 for an S9. Not only from a price perspective also sound quality, Clip+ I feel is better overall. I want to love my Cowon, it's beautiful but can't get my foot tapping like the Clip+.

This is only my opinion, others may vary, for the price difference it's really a no brainer. Pay less, get more..

To the person above with the Yammies try using the Stock firmware with your EPH compared to rockbox. I've found the stock firmware to give more clarity in the mids and vocals compared, make sure you tweak the stock EQ to your preference. if you don't know how to dual boot (hold the clicker left then press the power button when turning it on)

Goodluck to you all!

Jun 14, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Eh, newbie here, what does audio with ok/bad channel separation compare to audio with good channel separation?

Channel separation is the amount of difference between two channels, it's also known as crosstalk. It's how well the left and right drivers separate their individual signals.For example Mono = 0dB separation as both channels share the exact same signal. Basically I find the Clip+'s left and right signal well isolated from each other at equal volumes 
smile.gif
 and in simple terms you hear left & right individually without them interfering with the other.

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 11
meh, actually, you know the EPH-100's have been highly rated for their 3D soundstage and bass (with the stock eartips), would that possibly play well with Cowons...?

I'm seriously having a mental war here between what's practical storagewise and what's practical style/carry-wise, and both are good players too.

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
meh, actually, you know the EPH-100's have been highly rated for their 3D soundstage and bass (with the stock eartips), would that possibly play well with Cowons...?

I'm seriously having a mental war here between what's practical storagewise and what's practical style/carry-wise, and both are good players too.

I own EPH-100, I have to say as mentioned above they suit the Clip+ more on Sansa original firmware (not rockbox) I have done several tests with all my sources including ipod touch, ipod mini, Sony walkman, Cowon... Clip+ gives me that extra clarity I mentioned above to another member. It's mostly the vocals and mids sound so lush, almost like flowing liquid, you hear every single tonal change clear as day. I can't get the Cowon to do it. or any other headphone combination. If you're thinking of buying EPH-100 then I highly stress a Clip+ for pairing.

It's a match made in heaven on the stock firmware with some EQing on your behalf.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back