Trying to get into Vinyl - Advice
Apr 8, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #46 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the main reasons that popularity of CDs so quickly overtook that of LPs was and still is their ease of use. .

i don't get that. I still can't get a cd to play easily. When I put em on the turntable the needle just slides right off em!

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #47 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't get that. I still can't get a cd to play easily. When I put em on the turntable the needle just slides right off em!

It appears that you have a slight problem with the setting of your anti-skating. Follow the instructions quoted below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The idea of the anti-skate control is to counteract the centrifugal forces exerted on the arm as it spins from a fixed pivot point. It's usually a spring. All you do is put on a record and raise and lower the cuing lever adjusting the anti skate until you make it drop the needle in and out of the same groove ( part of the song) each time.

In addition you will have to increase the speed of turntable by at least 10 times since CD's need to rotate at something like 500rpm. Once you get these two kinks worked out you should be to go. Let us know how you make out.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #49 of 114
As promised today, Friday April 13th is someone's lucky day. The drawing for the (almost) complete vinyl starter setup was held this evening in my home.

Here's the entire event presented in picture form:

HatandNames.jpg

There turned out to be only five entrants into the contest - made for great odds!!

Namesinhat.jpg

Here are all five names in the official contest hat.

Andthewinneris.jpg

My lovely wife draws the winning name.

[size=large]And the winner is:
AnthroxsTurntable.jpg

Anthrox!!! Congratulations!!
[size=x-small]
I will be contacting Anthrox via PM early tomorrow to make the final arrangements. I would to thank everyone who entered and hope that you all can find a way to get into vinyl in the near future.
[/size]
[/size]

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #51 of 114
biggrin.gif
Thanks soloz2, I definitely will enjoy it and a huge thanks to ralphp for the generous giveaway. I'm sure I'll be back asking lots of silly questions about setting it up once i get it.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #52 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthrox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
Thanks soloz2, I definitely will enjoy it and a huge thanks to ralphp for the generous giveaway. I'm sure I'll be back asking lots of silly questions about setting it up once i get it.

Sweet deal! Is this going to be your first vinyl experience Anthrox? I've gone completely mad in the past couple of weeks with my new stuff. I started out with a table, cart, and phono-stage for less than $90. Then five records for ~$15. Now I've got about 15 records, a new TCC TC-750LC phono-stage on the way, a Grado Black on the way, and I'm ordering a new headshell tonight. That puts me up to about $250 in the past two weeks.

Next up is some record cleaning supplies. What all should I get? Is the TTVJ fluid pretty good? How is liquid record cleaner used?

I haven't ordered a new headshell yet, but I definitely want to replace the one I have. I was wrong about it being plastic, it's some kind of metal. My biggest problem with the one I have is the lack of a little cuing handle thingie. Should I just go with one of the cheapo-universal bayonet mount anodized aluminum ones that they sell at most of the vinyl accessories sites for $10?

There is also a Stanton branded one that looks very nice .
Here are the ones I looked at.

$15
Stanton Headshell
media.nl

$15
Gemini Headshell
media.nl

$11
Generic Anodized Alum.
hs

Does anyone know if the first two headshells come with headshell wires? What about the Grado Black?

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #53 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Next up is some record cleaning supplies. What all should I get? Is the TTVJ fluid pretty good? How is liquid record cleaner used?

These are both well regarded manual solutions which come with all the fluids and everything.

http://www.allsop.com/cd-dvd-cleaner...00/orbitrac-2/

http://cgi.ebay.com/KNOSTI-DISCO-ANT...QQcmdZViewItem

It's also worth buying replacement plastic padded goldring type or nagaoka inner sleeves to put your newly cleaned records in.
Simple paper inner sleeves which most records come in, are actually quite abrahsive and leave loads of little surface scratches over time which causes crackles.

For new records you just need a brush to keep the dust off them. This is the best type with a felt pad and carbon fibre bristles. It's sold under a multitude of brand names like Goldring or Clearaudio but they are the same brush basically.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=PE

Quote:

I haven't ordered a new headshell yet, but I definitely want to replace the one I have. I was wrong about it being plastic, it's some kind of metal. My biggest problem with the one I have is the lack of a little cuing handle thingie. Should I just go with one of the cheapo-universal bayonet mount anodized aluminum ones that they sell at most of the vinyl accessories sites for $10?

There is also a Stanton branded one that looks very nice .
Here are the ones I looked at.

It's a shame about your Sanyo one not having a finger lift as it sounds like it's much better quality than any of the Stanton or equivalent DJ headshells which are mostly designed for convenience rather than rigidity ( and don't always come with wires BTW )

Often omitting the finger lift from the design is done to minimise resonances but personally I prefer to hand cue so I think it's necessary.

You can buy a spare one from Sumiko, which just bolts on top of the headshell with the cartridge, here

http://www.needledoctor.com/Sumiko-Finger-Lift

Or if you do want to upgrade the headshell you will need to go for one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADC-TURNTABLE-HE...QQcmdZViewItem

Which is basically an older version of these type of headshells.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AT-MG-10-Audiote...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.audiocubes2.com/category/...ead_Shell.html

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #54 of 114
Quote:

Sweet deal! Is this going to be your first vinyl experience Anthrox? I've gone completely mad in the past couple of weeks with my new stuff. I started out with a table, cart, and phono-stage for less than $90. Then five records for ~$15. Now I've got about 15 records, a new TCC TC-750LC phono-stage on the way, a Grado Black on the way, and I'm ordering a new headshell tonight. That puts me up to about $250 in the past two weeks.

Yeah it is. I think I'm going to go pick up a half-kit for a bugle. I can't resist a chance to DIY something. Then go to the local flea market and maybe some garage sales to get my hands on some cheap vinyl. I can't wait to get started.
icon10.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #55 of 114
Quote:

Yeah it is. I think I'm going to go pick up a half-kit for a bugle. I can't resist a chance to DIY something. Then go to the local flea market and maybe some garage sales to get my hands on some cheap vinyl. I can't wait to get started.
icon10.gif

I would hold off on buying any vinyl just yet since I'm going to be sending you at least fifty, as in five-zero, LPs along with the turntable. Some of the records are very worthwhile, for example The Clash - Sandinista (3 LPs), Elton John - Honky Chateau, Billy Joel - 52nd Street, Eric Calpton - 461 Ocean Boulevard and The Eagles (their first LP), while for some of the others the less said the better
tongue.gif

In addition, you're still going to need to get a phono preamp and a new belt for the turntable so save some of your money for these items.

Ralph

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #56 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would hold off on buying any vinyl just yet since I'm going to be sending you at least fifty, as in five-zero, LPs along with the turntable. Some of the records are very worthwhile, for example The Clash - Sandinista (3 LPs), Elton John - Honky Chateau, Billy Joel - 52nd Street, Eric Calpton - 461 Ocean Boulevard and The Eagles (their first LP), while for some of the others the less said the better
tongue.gif

In addition, you're still going to need to get a phono preamp and a new belt for the turntable so save some of your money for these items.

Ralph

Alright, can do. The first link that comes up in a google search is http://www.turntablebasics.com/belts/technics.html . I know you said you don't know where to get a belt but does anyone else know if this is a good place? Also, is the shure cartridge a MM type?

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #57 of 114
Quote:

Alright, can do. The first link that comes up in a google search is http://www.turntablebasics.com/belts/technics.html . I know you said you don't know where to get a belt but does anyone else know if this is a good place? Also, is the shure cartridge a MM type?

The Shure cartridge is most definitely a MM (moving magnet) type.

Apr 15, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #58 of 114
Quote:

Turntablebasics is an excellent source for a belt.You will also need their mirror protractor and a Shure weight scale.BTW,the Bugle kit is a most excellent choice.As Memepool mentioned earlier,the Jico SAS stylus is the best replacement stylus you can get for your Shure V15 Type IV if the ones you receive don't work out,(have them looked at by a professional under a microscope before using them).

Apr 15, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #59 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turntablebasics is an excellent source for a belt.You will also need their mirror protractor and a Shure weight scale.BTW,the Bugle kit is a most excellent choice.As Memepool mentioned earlier,the Jico SAS stylus is the best replacement stylus you can get for your Shure V15 Type IV if the ones you receive don't work out,(have them looked at by a professional under a microscope before using them).

Would the alignment tool on this site be sufficient? http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm

Also, by Shure weight scale do you mean the stylus force gauge? Is there any way to determine the condition of the stylus myself? I have no idea where I could find someone to have a look at it for me.

Apr 15, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #60 of 114
Quote:

Would the alignment tool on this site be sufficient? http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm

Also, by Shure weight scale do you mean the stylus force gauge? Is there any way to determine the condition of the stylus myself? I have no idea where I could find someone to have a look at it for me.

I'm insulted! To even suggest that I'd send you a bad stylus is just so foul!!
eek.gif

All kidding aside, I believe that the stylus presently on the cartridge and the replacement stylus are both in fairly good shape and should not damage your vinyl. The suggestion that you get both styli looked at is still a good one but I can assure you that the styli still have some mileage to go before they become harmful or worthless.

In addition, all the other recommendations are right on. A good stylus force gauge, replacement inner sleeves and a nice record brush are very worthwhile investments. The Hunt EDA brush is another record brush worth getting.

Plus the tonearm has a finger lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back