Trying to get into Vinyl - Advice
Apr 6, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #31 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "DJ" in a phono cartridge means that the needle and cantilever are constructed so that one can "back spin" the record without harming the needle and cantilever. "Back spinning" is playing or spinning the record backwards in order to locate an exact spot within a track. Also a DJ type cartridge will allow one to "scratch" which is term given when hip-hop and rap DJs move the record back and forth with their hands while the needle is sitting on the record.

As to whether a given DJ type is worn or audiophile quality that's something one needs to judge by visual inspection for wear and playing a record with it to hear how it sounds.

To play a record:

Place the LP on top of the platter, the platter is the large round thing that rotates, so that the small hole in the center of the LP fits over the spindle, the spindle is the little rod in the middle of the platter. Turn on the power, select the proper speed, usually 33 1/3 for 12" LPs and carefully place the tonearm down on the LP near the outside edge. Then listen and enjoy the wonders of analog sound.

Thanks man! I was just worried that I was going to ruin the stylus or something. I kinda knew how it went from seeing people do it on television.

Is there anything wrong with using the cueing lever to lower the tonearm down onto the record? It seems to go much smoother when I do that instead of trying to do it with my hand.

The table sounds better than I expected it to. As indicated in this thread, I have no idea how they're supposed to sound but I was pretty happy that it even played in 2 channel stereo!
icon10.gif

I was surprised, however, that the sound was thin and sibiliant instead of being warm and syrupy. I'm guessing this probably has everything to do with the cartridge. I bought a $50 phono-pre at Guitar Center, so I'm sure there's room for improvement there, too.

How exactly do I go about adjusting the fine tuning for the speed of the platter? Do you want the strobe thingy to be still? I didn't really know, so I just took a CD copy of the only album I have in LP and compared and tried to match the pitch.

A few more questions...

Are all turntables uber-susceptable to skipping because of bumpage? I only had to barely breath on the thing to make it kind of skip.

Next...

If I can't find the specs for the cartridge that's on there right now, how do I know where to adjust the counter-weight. I read up on how to zero it horizontally, so I did that and then moved it up just enough so it let's the arm go down instead of floating. I'm sure that there's a good reason to know exactly how much pressure the stylus needs.

Also, what does the skate control do? I think I read that you're supposed to set that at the same number as the counter weight?

Finally...

What would be the overkill line for a cartridge for this turntable? (Sanyo TP-1020). It has a plastic headshell right now, so I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get an aluminum headshell when I get a new cart.

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #32 of 114
Ingo,

Without having the cartridge specifications handy and without being able to find any information on the Stanton cartridge I would do the following to try and correct the tracking problems that you're experiencing.

First zero out the tracking force. You will know when you're at zero because the tonearm/cartridge will just hang in midair not moving up or down. Then set the tracking force and antiskating force for 2 or 2.5 grams. Hopefully this will work.

Here's a link to the Stanton web site: http://www.stantondj.com/v2/index.asp Well worth checking out since there is a wealth of information on the setup and care of cartridges, turntables and vinyl.

As for your other questions:

By all means use the cueing level to lift the tonearm on and off the record. That's what it's there for.

You were on the right track when you asked about the strobe, i.e. adjust the speed so that little dots/marking on the edge of the platter appear not to move under the strobe.

As for the thin sound I would guess that has a lot to do with the cheap phono preamp. Several people recommended a NAD phono preamp and for a good reason: it's relatively inexpensive and it doesn't sound thin. See if you can return the phono preamp and pick up a NAD, you hear a big difference.

Turntables are very sensitive to vibrations and must be placed on a very stable platform to help minimize these harmful effects. For example my turntable sits on a very heavy duty shelf which is securely mounted to the wall. By "securely" I mean the shelf brackets are attached to the studs behind the sheetrock and not just to the sheetrock. To put it mildly, setting up a proper vinyl playback system is a very big pain in the butt but that lovely analog sound makes it all worthwhile. If you don't have a shelf handy just make sure that the turntable is sitting on a very stable platform like a heavy piece of furniture.

And finally, how much vinyl do you have? I was doing some spring cleaning and discovered a pile of records that I had put aside for some reason. PM me and I'll let you know how many I have, some of the titles and what kind of condition they're in. They're yours for the asking (and shipping costs
biggrin.gif
) if you would like them. Consider them my gift to a vinyl newbie.

Apr 6, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #34 of 114
Yeah, I've been keeping up on this thread for some time. I found an analogue shop a few days ago and went for a visit. They had a used Thorens table that originally went for around 1K and they were selling it for $280 because of age... but it was absolutely beautiful. I wanted to get it right then and there, but realized that I don't have any records or a phono pre (other then the one in my Marantz 1030 integrated, but I would rather not use the tape out to my headphone amp)

alas... I'm waiting till my wife graduates and gets a job... then we'll have more $

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #35 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...) other then the one in my Marantz 1030 integrated, but I would rather not use the tape out to my headphone amp (...)

Why not? There's no technical reason against it... And I'd think it should be "other than", btw...
wink.gif

Quote:

(...) then we'll have more $

You two, yes, most probably - you for yourself, questionable.
evil_smiley.gif
Anyway, the probability is fairly high that the nice vintage models won't be as interesting anymore then: For a lot of fine vintage models the prices on ebay and of quite a few vintage hifi dealers already went up to rather ridiculous levels. I.e., the longer you wait, the harder it will get to make a good deal.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #36 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by daggerlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're handy with a soldering iron, you should consider the Hagtech Bugle phono stage. It'll run you about $60 but it's reputed to compete in sound with phono stages up to $600 in price.

Looks interesting, anybody have one of these and can comment ? Sound quality, hard/easy to build etc.

Has anyone heard theTCC TC-750LC Phono Preamp? They seem to get decent reviews and are inexpensive.

Apr 6, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #38 of 114
Quote:

check out Stanley's offerings. the TCC DAC is a cheaper version of what he sells. If the phono stage is anywhere near the MKIII DAC i have it would be worth the small investment
http://www.homehifi.co.uk/main/main.html

I just bought that phono-pre to replace the one I'm taking back to Guitar Center.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #39 of 114
To all my fellow Head-Fiers who have been following this thread hoping to get some information on how to set up a starter vinyl playback system I have some good news for you.

As a way of making up for some of my earlier not so nice comments and also as a way of saying thank you to Head-Fi I am extending a similar offer to the one that I made to Ingo (see post #32 below) to another lucky Head-Fier.

Here's the deal:

I have a somewhat beat up but still working Technics SL-B2 turntable along with some LPs available for the just the cost of shipping. Anyone interested please PM me within the next 7 days and I will put all the names in a hat (I have lots of hats
icon10.gif
) and announce the winner next Friday, April 13th. So if you're not superstitious join in the fun.

Here's what you will be getting:

1) The Technics SL-B2 turntable which comes with a tonearm and a dust cover. The dust cover's hinges are broken so the dust cover must be taken completely off when the turntable is in use. The turntable is need of a good cleaning. The turntable is a belt drive model and the belt is missing. I do not know where to get a replacement belt so please do not ask me.

2) There is a cartridge mounted on the tonearm but it appears to be pretty much shot so I will also include a used Shure V15 Type IV cartridge along with an extra stylus (also used). You will have to remove the old cartridge and mount this cartridge onto the tonearm. Instructions for mounting the cartridge are included with the cartridge. Welcome to the world of vinyl playback. Consider it a baptism by fire.

3) A used Discwasher D3 record brush along with a small bottle of D3 cleaning fluid which is used with the D3 brush. Instructions for use are included.

4) About a dozen LPs (all used) to get you started.

So basically what the winner will be getting is a turntable which needs a new belt along with a good cleaning. A cartridge which needs to be mounted on the turntable. A nice record cleaning brush. And some LPs to get you started.

What the winner will not be getting is a phono preamp, which is required to play vinyl.

As stated earlier all the winner needs to do is cover the cost of shipping from zip code 07430. Sorry but I will only ship to the continental USA and Canada.

So please PM with your name if you're interested in being entered into the contest. If you any questions you can post them to this thread and I will try to answer them.

Here's a picture of what is included. Note these two LP will be included along with 10 other LPs (to be determined).

Turntablegiveaway.jpg

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #40 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought that phono-pre to replace the one I'm taking back to Guitar Center.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Do let us know what you think of it when it arrives.

Apr 7, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #42 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are giving away a shure vn45he stylus then you are
an increadiby giving person, they are rare like rocking
horse droppings. The winner wil be a lucky camper.
Link to a recent ebay auction of said stylus.
http://tinyurl.com/2su5e5

Thanks for the information on the Shure stylus, I wasn't aware that people are willing to pay so much for a used stylus. However that doesn't change my mind about including the stylus and cartridge in this giveaway. Besides I also have a used Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge with an extra stylus that I'm keeping as a spare since I have a Grado Reference cartridge presently mounted on my tonearm and retipping requires that the cartridge be returned to Grado.

However what it does change is that I ask just one small favor from those of you reading this thread:

Please don't start another thread telling all about the giveaway and pointing to this thread since one of the main reasons I set up the giveaway within this thread is to keep the number of entrants low and to keep people from entering just so they could resell the items for a profit. Basically if someone comes across this thread in the next week and they would like to enter, fine but I'm not trying to make this thing widespread.

Also if you want to tell a friend who needs an almost complete starter vinyl setup by all means do so but do it privately, please.

Thanks, Ralph

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #43 of 114
Quote:

I was surprised, however, that the sound was thin and sibiliant instead of being warm and syrupy. I'm guessing this probably has everything to do with the cartridge. I bought a $50 phono-pre at Guitar Center, so I'm sure there's room for improvement there, too.

Sounds like you got a good deal there. I think the 1020 is another basic Sanyo direct drive from the late '70s pretty much the same as the ones I found reviewed. Should have a pretty good quality tonearm on there, just check to make sure it doesn't rattle at all when you pick it up to hand cue.

What you do is first remove the stylus (with it all turned off) by giving it a slight pull forwards gripping the plastic sides of the front cartridge assembly gently between thumb and forefinger. Then hold the cueing handle of the headshell and move it around gently to see if you can hear or feel any looseness in the arm bearings in either the horizontal or vertical planes. The arm should be silent and smooth in action with no rattles.

Getting it running at true speed should be simply a case of checking the strobe marking on the side of the platter with the little light.

Once you are satisfied it's running well then put it on a surface which issolates it as much as possible from footfalls or from airborne vibration from speakers for instance. A wall shelf is a good idea if your floor is made from suspended wooden floorboards rather than concrete.

A cheap isolation platform to put under the deck can be made with a large marble chopping board from Ikea and some sorbothane feet. Use a small spirit level to get the deck absolutely level by adjusting it's feet. Getting the deck on a good surface will improve the amount of detail you hear and tighten up the bass.

The cart you have on there sounds like a Radio Shack version of the Stanton 500 perhaps? It's most likely to be a pretty basic conical stylus so probably not worth replacing. It might be possible to fit a better Stanton tip like the 680EEE. Unscrew the headshell and take the whole thing to a Stanton dealer to find this out, otherwise a new cart like a Grado Black or Shure M97 should be possible for between 40-60 USD.

Quote:

Also, what does the skate control do? I think I read that you're supposed to set that at the same number as the counter weight?

The idea of the anti-skate control is to counteract the centrifugal forces exerted on the arm as it spins from a fixed pivot point. It's usually a spring. All you do is put on a record and raise and lower the cuing lever adjusting the anti skate until you make it drop the needle in and out of the same groove ( part of the song) each time.

Quote:

It has a plastic headshell right now, so I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get an aluminum headshell when I get a new cart.

The TP1100 had a heavy headshell so maybe your's isn't original. It's unlikely to be plastic from this period, perhaps a composite of some sort which just feels really light like plastic? The headshell material should be as rigid as possible and varying this is a way of adding or subtracting arm mass which is useful for fitting different cartridge types.

For instance a highly regarded cart from this period like the Shure V15III was designed for a lower mass arm so there was a trend towards lower mass arms and fitting a headshell made of an extremly lightweight material like magnesium was a way of making a medium mass arm work better with a V15. The same goes for most of the popular AT carts like the 440ML.

You'll find lots of exotic headshells on Ebay even a Japanese one made from Ebony! Look out for an ADC magnesium one.

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #44 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the information on the Shure stylus, I wasn't aware that people are willing to pay so much for a used stylus. However that doesn't change my mind about including the stylus and cartridge in this giveaway.

That's incredibly decent of you and will make a great starter set up for someone.
As far as the V15 is concerned, people pay silly prices for the originals but you can get superior replacements from the JICO company in Japan here http://www.export-japan.com/marketin...sort=2a&page=6
Although not for the VMR as yet unfortunately ( I also have one of these
lambda.gif
)

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #45 of 114
Another big jump in vinyl playback quality is a clean stylus and
record it self. For the OP try and get a cleaning brush and maybe
some fluid for the records. You can clean your stylus with a small
piece of Mr.Clean magic eraser, gently. Cabon fibre brushes
are available in most places that sell DJ equipment there are
lots of ways for vinyl playback to go wrong but when its right....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back