Trying to get into Vinyl - Advice
Apr 25, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #106 of 114
Good luck with whatever you end up doing
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be making a similar decision in the next week or two, once I decide exactly where I want to set up my own vinyl rig.

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #107 of 114
Here's the email I got back:

Quote:

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your enquiry there are 6 fixing holes on the WT2, 3 on the top
and 3 on the bottom rail at 8" (203mm) centres.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Geoffrey Bartram

I'm assuming that means there's a total of 16" between the two sides but honestly his wording confuses me. I think I may email him again just to confirm if that's what he means.

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #108 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthrox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's the email I got back:

Quote:

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your enquiry there are 6 fixing holes on the WT2, 3 on the top
and 3 on the bottom rail at 8" (203mm) centres.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Geoffrey Bartram

I'm assuming that means there's a total of 16" between the two sides but honestly his wording confuses me. I think I may email him again just to confirm if that's what he means.

8" centres (centers for us Americans) means, in this case, that there are three holes and the holes are 8" apart. So the distance between the first and third hole would be 16" (8" + 8") which is perfect for mounting the shelf directly to wall studs that are spaced 16" apart.

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #109 of 114
With all this talk about turntable shelves and such I figured that it was time post some photos for my own home make turntable shelf. I made this shelf many years ago using a piece of very heavy veneered fiberboard, two simple brackets and some black paint. The one thing that I didn't do was space the brackets 16" apart since the wall that the shelf is mounted to is made of fairly thick wood paneling with sheetrock placed over the paneling. Attaching one bracket directly to a stud and the other bracket to the paneling has proven to be very effective.

The photos:

Turntableshelf.jpg

This a view of the from the front. The turntable and shelf are mounted directly above my equipment rack. I have a Linn LP12 with a Lingo power supply. There's even room on the shelf for my Hunt EDA brush and my ZeroDust needle cleaner. I also use a ZeroStat destatic gun which I keep below the shelf but is not in this picture.

Bracket2.jpg

A picture showing both support brackets and the cables running behind the shelf.

Bracket1.jpg

A close up showing the underside of the shelf.

Bracket3.jpg

A close up of one of the brackets.

The dimensions of the shelf are 19" wide and 17.5" deep (not counting the extra inch or so between the back edge of the shelf and the wall) by about an inch thick.

Of all the do-it-yourself projects I've read about on Head-Fi making a decent turntable shelf seems to be one of the easiest ones to actually build and is one of the most effective things one can do to improve the sound of a vinyl rig.

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #110 of 114
Seems easy enough. I guess as long as I'm not cutting the wood myself it should go smoothly enough. As nice as it would be to have a premade shelf, I really don't want to shell out ~$200. I'll head out to home depot once the turntable arrives.

Also, how far away from speakers should i be placing the turntable?

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #111 of 114
Quote:

Also, how far away from speakers should i be placing the turntable?

Just as far as you can within the context of your room.

May 6, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #112 of 114
Alright. Well I got Ralph's turntable friday when I came back from a family vacation. I managed to build the bugle (although there are some problems over time, most likely due to cheap dollar store batteries) and install the cartridge. I've attempted the calibrations but they're harder than I expected. I can't seem to find my level and I've yet to pick up the materials for the shelf. I have to say, calibrating is a lot more difficult than expected. Of course the fact that it's sitting on the ground rather than at a decent height is complicating things. I seem incapable of setting the pitch perfectly but I have a feeling that that's because the table isn't actually leveled right now.

For the hunt eda brush, what would i use to remove dust from the brush itself? I assume blowing on it or wiping it with my hand is an awful idea.

One of the feet is a bit messed up. Is it possible to replace the feet?

May 6, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #113 of 114
Quote:

For the hunt eda brush, what would i use to remove dust from the brush itself? I assume blowing on it or wiping it with my hand is an awful idea.

One of the feet is a bit messed up. Is it possible to replace the feet?

Those velvety type padded brushes that you can use to pick up dust from your coat are good. like this
KC3826_03.jpg

http://www.kabusa.com sell Technics spares including various different types of sorbothane and adjustable feet. Ask them what is the best solution.

You absolutely have to have it on a flat surface before calibrating anything. It's a precision instrument so you need to recalibrate every time you move it.

Be patient. Just wait until you have it all set up properly or you'll probably damage something, most likely a record.

May 6, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #114 of 114
Quote:

(...) For the hunt eda brush, what would i use to remove dust from the brush itself? I assume blowing on it or wiping it with my hand is an awful idea. (...)

Does it still come with that metal rest? I've always used the edge of that thingy...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: In case you have accumulated a thick dust layer on the velvet strip, you could take a small brush for clothing to remove that - like this one: http://www.werbeartikel-discount.com...oducts_id/9132

Users who are viewing this thread

Back