TRN impressions thread
Nov 20, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #3,602 of 3,805
Technically it already exists, the Huawei Freebuds Pro 2 is a DD/Planar hybrid. But it's TWS, not a wired IEM. And if the Freebuds Pro 2 are anything to go by, DD/Planar will be one hell of combination for a hybrid IEM. Great tonality, good technical performance and the imaging is absolutely mental on the Freebuds Pro 2.
My only reservation with TWS is that planars are power hungry. That may not work so well with tiny batteries! :L3000:

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #3,605 of 3,805
I’m curious whether any of you experience specific pairings that form a perfect match, particularly with IEMs that may not resonate with other sources. I use two different TRNs with respective DAPS and they punch above their weight on those, but don’t perform nearly as well elsewhere, even on higher end DAPS.

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #3,606 of 3,805
I believe TRN BAX remains their highest priced IEM, but it's still affordable compared to others of its kind. I give TRN credit for being inventive and prolific.

There was a TRN Golden Ears IEM that was sold at $25K USD a few years back. Apparently made of pure gold.

TRN.PNG

Apparently TRN advertised that whoever bought that IEM would get lifetime discount from them for subsequent IEMs, but I think nobody dared to take the plunge LOL.

Imagine if there were warranty issues and u need to send this $25K thing back to China LOL.

I’m curious whether any of you experience specific pairings that form a perfect match, particularly with IEMs that may not resonate with other sources. I use two different TRNs with respective DAPS and they punch above their weight on those, but don’t perform nearly as well elsewhere, even on higher end DAPS.

Yes synergy is a very important aspect in this hobby.

For example, a bright IEM may not be the best pairing with a bright/analytical source, sometimes it might be better to use a warmer/analoguish source to pair with such bright IEMs to "balance" things out.

In addition to tonal issues, some transducers require more power than a source can provide, or said source needs to have a low output impedance (based on audiophile rules of eights) due to the IEM have low impedance. Some sources have poor noise floor (relevant for high sensitivity IEMs), some sources do not have balanced output etc, so definitely synergy matters.

Nov 20, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #3,607 of 3,805
Been using my ST5 with my Hiby r5g2 and new hakugei healer cable. This is a winning combo.

20221117_195451.JPG

Nov 21, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #3,609 of 3,805
There was a TRN Golden Ears IEM that was sold at $25K USD a few years back. Apparently made of pure gold.

Stolen gold? :wink: For bitcoin millionaires? :)

I wish we could get the owner of TRN's thoughts on why they created this piece of gold poo.

Nov 22, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #3,611 of 3,805
Stolen gold? :wink: For bitcoin millionaires? :)

I wish we could get the owner of TRN's thoughts on why they created this piece of gold poo.

Fool's gold. All that glitters isn't gold.

FWIW, I doubt TRN sold any of these $25K Golden ear IEMs.
It suspiciously looks like the original TRN VX, but maybe it is just gold plated LOL? Who has the balls to break open the shell to check if the insides hold 24 carat golden Bellsings?

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #3,612 of 3,805
Interesting to see how it's priced. Celest is already out there for $50.:thinking:
TRN Xuanwu listed sub $27 for Black Friday deal on AE. Very tempting deal for a 'square planar' + BA combo. Built looks quality as well. Only concern is the implementation of BA near the nozzle, could sound like Trn VX with different bass texture.

Also debating purchase KZ PR1 Pro for that $41 deal. I had KZ PR1 silver edition before, Technicality ahead of other budget sets, bass & treble are fine as well, but mids sound noticeable unnatural on some tracks. Your opinion on getting hands on those again?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #3,613 of 3,805
TRN Xuanwu listed sub $27 for Black Friday deal on AE. Very tempting deal for a 'square planar' + BA combo. Built looks quality as well. Only concern is the implementation of BA near the nozzle, could sound like Trn VX with different bass texture.

Also debating purchase KZ PR1 Pro for that $41 deal. I had KZ PR1 silver edition before, Technicality ahead of other budget sets, bass & treble are fine as well, but mids sound noticeable unnatural on some tracks. Your opinion on getting hands on those again?
Well the TRN Xuanwu is an SPD for half the price of Celest and seems to come with interchangeable jacks on the cable and a medium pair of their new tips. Not an all metal shell like the MT3, TA1 Max or ST5. TRN seems to have lifted their game this year, but it would be a blind buy. How many decent releases have they had this year. Frankly I've lost count. The question is "are you feeling lucky?" :thinking: :astonished:

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #3,614 of 3,805

Looks like similar tuning as the TA1 Max, ST5 and etc. with that lifted bass (I like it) so definitely gonna grab a pair. Also will come with a nice looking cable that I won't use and it's quite unusual that they are telling us the SPD is made by Bellsing. I wonder if it's a variant of the Celest driver.
1669167236295.png

1669167332314.png

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #3,615 of 3,805
Well the TRN Xuanwu is an SPD for half the price of Celest and seems to come with interchangeable jacks on the cable and a medium pair of their new tips. Not an all metal shell like the MT3, TA1 Max or ST5. TRN seems to have lifted their game this year, but it would be a blind buy. How many decent releases have they had this year. Frankly I've lost count. The question is "are you feeling lucky?" :thinking: :astonished:
Looks like similar tuning as the TA1 Max, ST5 and etc. with that lifted bass (I like it) so definitely gonna grab a pair. Also will come with a nice looking cable that I won't use and it's quite unusual that they are telling us the SPD is made by Bellsing. I wonder if it's a variant of the Celest driver.
1669167236295.png
1669167332314.png
The whole package seem to be in the 'can't go wrong' territory with that price tag. I'm holding it for now simply because of potential similarities to Kinera Celest. Don't want same IEMs in the drawer. Will wait feedbacks to confirm that. Instead, I'd pick a set of X7, and another set of BT20s Pro from TRN store. Crazy deals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back