TRN impressions thread
Jul 25, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #3,331 of 3,807
The Kirin is so much more well tuned compared to the Dioko. The Dioko is a one trick pony while the Kirin is a versatile unicon. The Dioko only wins in spaciousness and the Kirin is better in every other aspects. While the Dioko is really not bad TBH, the sibilance, the flat clipped top end due to the filters and the rather weak bass, lack of mid detail I prefer to call it unfinished rather than bad. It truly has some potential but the Kirin is a finished product in contrast.

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #3,332 of 3,807
I believe the tuning of the upcoming ST5 could push TRN into another league entirely. They're on an upswing, which is nice to see.
trn-st5-01.jpg

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #3,335 of 3,807
The description from TRN's website:

4BA + 1DD Hybrid Drivers Reference-grade In-Ear Monitor
  • Beryllium-coated 10mm dual-magnet dynamic driver
  • Custom tweeter + midrange combination balanced armature
  • Aviation-grade magnesium alloy housing
Yea I know, I asked TRN a few days ago actually and they told me they are still fine tuning it and could not confirm if it's the same DD.

Jul 25, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #3,336 of 3,807
Yea I know, I asked TRN a few days ago actually and they told me they are still fine tuning it and could not confirm if it's the same DD.
Did TRN provide you with a timeframe for the release as well as the price range? I'm wondering if the price will exceed or match the BAX. For a planar, Kirin seemed like a relative bargain.

Update: I heard from TRN as well. They said the new IEM should be available at the end of the month with the price yet to be determined.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #3,341 of 3,807
$60 - why do they mention Kirin and BAX in the name?

US $59.80 50% Off | TRN ST5 4BA+1DD Hybrid Hanging In Ear Headset 10 Drivers Unit HIFI DJ Monitor Earphone Earbuds Noise Cancelling For BAX Kirin
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mq09uy0
Just to be easier searched I think. They put as many "relevant" keywords as they can.

Aug 5, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #3,342 of 3,807
It's out, same shell as the BAX maybe?

Se7fea806994a4ac288b0cefb3dde5becF.jpg
Case looks shallower than BAX. 2x 30095 in the nozzle for high frequency, 2x 50060 in the body for mids and a beryllium coated DD. So it's essentially a CCA C10 in a metal case with an improved DD. Not groundbreaking but has potential. The 10mm DD is likely to be the same one as the TA1 Max. So how do 4x Bellsing compare to 1x Knowles?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #3,343 of 3,807
Case looks shallower than BAX. 2x 30095 in the nozzle for high frequency, 2x 50060 in the body for mids and a beryllium coated DD. So it's essentially a CCA C10 in a metal case with an improved DD. Not groundbreaking but has potential. The 10mm DD is likely to be the same one as the TA1 Max. So how do 4x Bellsing compare to 1x Knowles?
Well, that's the question. TA1 max have done extremely well, TRN will have their work cut out for them in almost the same price range. 10€ I don't consider to be a price difference. Although in Chi-fi? Personally, though, I feel like the timbre in Ta1 max helps that Knowles one. We will be happy to be surprised. The shell of TRN ST5 is beautiful, at least according to the promo pics.

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #3,345 of 3,807
Well, that's the question. TA1 max have done extremely well, TRN will have their work cut out for them in almost the same price range. 10€ I don't consider to be a price difference. Although in Chi-fi? Personally, though, I feel like the timbre in Ta1 max helps that Knowles one. We will be happy to be surprised. The shell of TRN ST5 is beautiful, at least according to the promo pics.

This also looks like it could royally benefit from being run through a DAC. I've seen this same configuration run both high and low according to pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back