TRN impressions thread
Jun 30, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #3,271 of 3,805
That graph is the TA1, not the TA1 Max, he labeled it wrong. Here's the correct graph.

8pAoFN5.png
I've got both coming, it will be interesting to compare them.

Jul 1, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #3,272 of 3,805
Jul 1, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #3,274 of 3,805
Still not a fan of the Kirin (with no EQ). It has the same issues that Muse Power reviews pointed out. Needs power, crap tuning.

It does sound much better after significant correction. For the price, you could almost forgive it knowing that correction is needed before buying.

The Dioko may change things though. If the Dioko tuning beats the Kirin, the Kirin has no reason to exist anymore. Even price matched, it wouldn't make sense to go with the Kirin.

While the 7hz Timeless also needs correction, I prefer it over the Kirin. I can still use the Timeless without EQ and not hate what I'm hearing, which I can't say for the Kirin.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #3,275 of 3,805
Still not a fan of the Kirin (with no EQ). It has the same issues that Muse Power reviews pointed out. Needs power, crap tuning.

It does sound much better after significant correction. For the price, you could almost forgive it knowing that correction is needed before buying.

The Dioko changes things though (maybe). If the Dioko tuning beats the Kirin, the Kirin has no reason to exist anymore. Even price matched, it wouldn't make sense to go with the Kirin.

This is why I skipped the Kirin. Looking at the graph alone it seems pretty obvious that it’s the same one as in the Muse Power. Maybe that driver can be tuned to sound right, but it hasn’t happened yet.

Jul 1, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #3,276 of 3,805
This is why I skipped the Kirin. Looking at the graph alone it seems pretty obvious that it’s the same one as in the Muse Power. Maybe that driver can be tuned to sound right, but it hasn’t happened yet.
It's overwhelmingly obvious things sound "off" right out of the box. It does sound pretty good when corrected, but so does my TA1 Max. Actually the TA1 Max is more enjoyable when you compare both sets EQ'ed.

After trying all three sets, it's apparent TRN doesn't really put much effort into tuning. I'm not an audio engineer, but I'm able to notice and fix things that TRN doesn't notice? It's unlikely they want their sets to sound "muffled", "shrill", "bloated", or "shouty" at certain frequencies, so I'm thinking it's just ignored.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #3,277 of 3,805
It's overwhelmingly obvious things sound "off" right out of the box. It does sound pretty good when corrected, but so does my TA1 Max. Actually the TA1 Max is more enjoyable when you compare both sets EQ'ed.

After trying all three sets, it's apparent TRN doesn't really put much effort into tuning. I'm not an audio engineer, but I'm able to notice and fix things that TRN doesn't notice? It's unlikely they want their sets to sound "muffled", "shrill", "bloated", or "shouty" at certain frequencies, so I'm thinking it's just ignored.

That’s how I feel about the Muse. They wasted a bunch of marketing speak on how they tuned the Power… and it’s not tuned much at all. They don’t sound at all natural and it sounds like Kirin is the same.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #3,278 of 3,805
That’s how I feel about the Muse. They wasted a bunch of marketing speak on how they tuned the Power… and it’s not tuned much at all. They don’t sound at all natural and it sounds like Kirin is the same.
The Kirin tuning is the same. It's just not good. That's why I'm excited for the 7hz Dioko.

I have the same tuning preference as Crinacle. Up the bass under 200hz and keep it clean, then follow Harman or near IEF Neutral. It's really not that difficult to target.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #3,280 of 3,805
I can't say I am enjoying the DIOKO more than the Kirin now hopefully it's because of the wrong filter applied (again!). It has a very clean sound but somewhere in the top end sounds clipped and overly smoothed to my ears and also there is too little bass and mids. The Kirin is more fun to me as I can play with cables and gain settings to fine tune the sound. Let's see how it sounds after I have the filters replaced.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #3,282 of 3,805
IMG_20220702_162645_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg

Small mod for TRN Kirin. Mid nozzles + stock 7Hz Timeless mesh = tighter sound, more precise bass and stronger impact

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #3,284 of 3,805
I can't say I am enjoying the DIOKO more than the Kirin now hopefully it's because of the wrong filter applied (again!). It has a very clean sound but somewhere in the top end sounds clipped and overly smoothed to my ears and also there is too little bass and mids. The Kirin is more fun to me as I can play with cables and gain settings to fine tune the sound. Let's see how it sounds after I have the filters replaced.
The last few Crincale collabs haven't gone very smoothly. The wrong filters sent with the first batch is a bummer.
Luckily they stopped production, are sending correct filters to those affected, and are fixing the issue very quickly.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #3,285 of 3,805
IMG_20220702_162645_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg
Small mod for TRN Kirin. Mid nozzles + stock 7Hz Timeless mesh = tighter sound, more precise bass and stronger impact

Good point. Waiting for my unit, I'll try with the mesh of different Trinity filters, that I still have at home.

I can understand some of the complaints, but I look at this model from a different perspective: first, it seems that the detail retrieval is here, and I was looking for that. After burn in, it seems that the Reference filter gives, in stock form, a good sound profile for some. Lastly, having the option to replace filters and testing different dampening materials, not forgetting the EQ alternative, gives more alternatives to find the sweet spot. Logically, a lot of people would prefer buying the S12 (that was as low as 125€, VAT included, in Summer Sale), connect it to a source, and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back