TRN impressions thread
Oct 12, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #2,431 of 3,805
Just received a review unit of the TRN V90S.

The usual TRN dearth of accessories are provided: a filmsy stock cable and a few tips. Well the more expensive TRN VX provided similar accessories for almost double the price, so I guess this is okay in my book. Anyways, most of us in this hobby will probably tip or cable roll some aftermarket stuff in.

The shell is nice, comfortable and light. Well constructed metal shell. No driver flex for me.

OOTB impressions:
Tuning wise, this is a deep V shape set. Technicalities are good. Soundstage is pretty good, and this might be partially explained by the distant lower mids. I found the lower mids almost absent on some tracks I am familiar with, so this is not a set for mid lovers. Guitars can be a bit subdued in the TRN V90S due to this deep V shape.

BA timbre is unfortunately present for acoustic instruments.

Subbass > midbass, minimal midbass bleed. Subbass extension is great. Bass is of good quality in being well textured and quite accurate. I think bassheads will like the quantity and texturing and extension.
Mids as above are a bit distant in the lower mids. Upper mids are boosted but only on rare occasions did they get shouty. Mild sibilance. Quite safe upper mids, compared to the TRN VX and TRN BA8.

Will burn in and do some tip/cable rolling. I think bassheads will like this set. Mid lovers best give it a miss though, due to the overly depressed lower mids. Technicalities amd fit are good. I really like the bass texturing and extension. I think it will do well with bass forward music, eg EDM.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/audioreviews/permalink/4665180610188880/

There's some graphs above by KopiOKaya on the TRN V90S, and also comparing it to the original TRN V90 and TRN BA8.

8kHz area is a resonance peak artefact.
TRN V90S.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #2,432 of 3,805
assuming what you say, the timbre sounds plasticky, a bit sterile, but offers more clarity?

how is the bass compared to KZ Zax or ZS10 Pro? Have you EQ the IEM for better mids?
Hi, I have all the V90s, ZAX and ZS10 Pro, in terms of bass, the ZS10 Pro is punchier but the sound stage is much smaller so can feel quite congested. For V90s and ZAX I think they probably have the same driver or similar drivers, the ZAX's bass is stronger but I just can't hear too much difference between them in terms of definition and you can always adjust the EQ to get your desired bass response

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #2,433 of 3,805
Hi, I have all the V90s, ZAX and ZS10 Pro, in terms of bass, the ZS10 Pro is punchier but the sound stage is much smaller so can feel quite congested. For V90s and ZAX I think they probably have the same driver or similar drivers, the ZAX's bass is stronger but I just can't hear too much difference between them in terms of definition and you can always adjust the EQ to get your desired bass response

nice, thank you, now, I am a bit relieved.

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #2,434 of 3,805
nice, thank you, now, I am a bit relieved.
IMO the V90s has the highest CP than the rest. I adjusted the EQ to regain some mids and I prefer the sound more than the ZAX on some vocal tracks due to the slightly higher definition in the upper ranges. The ZAX requires no EQ to sound good thou and may sound better on instrumental tracks and always sounds fuller. There is also an elastic/plastic sound signature for the ZAX in the upper range thou. You can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #2,435 of 3,805
Well, managed to kill the sound out of one of my BT20S last night while rotating the connector around, as I had done on my old pair of BT20. I did this for use with mmcx earbuds and possibly IEM's like a Nicehck DT100, mmcx modded sony mh755 &/or moondrop crescent.

Old BT20:
20181219_172433.jpg

20190317_220532.jpg

Since I knew it was just the wire in the ear hooks that was damaged, I decided I'd try my hand at modding them to have a straight MMCX connector with soft ear hooks.

During dissassembly I found out they use a relatively strong spring steel wire in the ear hook and this is why it's so hard to re-form/shape. I would work them with my fingers back and forth, until in the shape I wanted. Originally I applied light heat from my temp adjustable heat gun (when doing the BT20) but I now know that was unnecessary.

Internals of the right ear hook, R+, R- & spring steel wire:
20190807_182102.jpg

The earbuds I wanted to twist the MMCX connector orientation for, were already on the cable I ended up using as the donor/sacrifice for the mod (plus I have a brand new spare of that same cable). After a bit of time modding them, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

20190807_185558.jpg

I kind of wish the MMCX version came this way, as that is how the original pictures of the BT20 looked.
Would you mind sharing, how exactly did you disassemble it? I need to open up a faulty earpiece on my BT20S Pro and could use some advice.

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #2,436 of 3,805
Would you mind sharing, how exactly did you disassemble it? I need to open up a faulty earpiece on my BT20S Pro and could use some advice.

I used a box cutter razor blade to break the glue free on one longer side of the cover, then I used a guitar pick as a wedge to go around it and break the rest of that glue free. I also popped it free with the pick. There was a post that has to be broken, not sure of the Pro version will have it.

Oct 15, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #2,437 of 3,805
I used a box cutter razor blade to break the glue free on one longer side of the cover, then I used a guitar pick as a wedge to go around it and break the rest of that glue free. I also popped it free with the pick. There was a post that has to be broken, not sure of the Pro version will have it.
Thanks. It seems the Pros are constructed a little differently. I tried using the box cutter, but only managed to mess the cover up. Oh well. I'll try to purchase a single earpiece from a different seller. Already contacted official TRN store about it.

Oct 16, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #2,438 of 3,805
I just got my BT20s Pros in last week and have been using them daily with both the v90 and Blon-05. So far really loving the tws version of the Bt20s.

My small opinion of the BT20s pro is that they have upgraded the feel of the adapter, the old bt20s(which i still have) caused the back of my ears to hurt when i used them for longer than a few hours. I can say that trn fixed this with the new version. I can fall asleep with these on and have no pain. I also like the ability to buy more adapter cables to use these same bt20s pro adapters for both .75, .78 and MMCX and even an adapter called .75 c pin? I ordered the adapter cables from aliexpress, but ordered the bt20s pro off of amazon. So far this is my new fav TWS bt earphones. I tend to listen to both music and audio books. So mono half of the time and so far, so good. Only time will tell. For me, this was a great upgrade.

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #2,439 of 3,805
very disappointed with TRN, received my V90s, right ear monitor is dead, fading in/out for no reason. I thought it was a fit issue.

The silver cable that I have received also not too pliable... good thing the BT20s came in perfect condition.

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #2,440 of 3,805
very disappointed with TRN, received my V90s, right ear monitor is dead, fading in/out for no reason. I thought it was a fit issue.

The silver cable that I have received also not too pliable... good thing the BT20s came in perfect condition.

That’s why anyone who paid $15,000 for the gold TRNs is nuts. Their QC track record is abysmal

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #2,441 of 3,805
That’s why anyone who paid $15,000 for the gold TRNs is nuts. Their QC track record is abysmal

Well the Bellsing drivers inside may be pure gold haha. But maybe it may be out of phase or unsoldered LOL.

Anyways, TRN just provided a $10 discount coupon on Aliexpress for the $15000 golden ears TRN for 11/11. Wowzer, best deal for 11/11!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #2,442 of 3,805
so the right ear IEM came back to live, but using other cable not the upgraded silver cable by TRN.

This is my impression overall 3/5

Pro: nice casing

Cons: hard to get good seal, one of the worst IEM in terms of fit, unnatural timbre, recessed mid, unimpressive bass, congested sound stage, poor separation and clarity, standard cables and accessories subpar compared to other IEM in the same price range.

I just got V90s yesterday, out of the box, it looks okay with metal casing, came with usual TRN box with standard silicone eartips and regular tangled cable.
I also received TRN silver cable, knowing that V90s having trouble in mid and treble side, silver cable at this point seems like a no brainer.
So I plugged the silver cable to the IEM; however what I got with it was a fading in/out sounds from the right ear monitor. The right ear monitor then stopped completely after 30 minutes. Very poor quality control probably. Knowing that TRN may have condensation problem previously I left it out overnight.

This morning I tried it again, surprisingly the right ear monitor is back to live. However, the sound was nowhere near any IEM in the same class or price range of V90s.

I tried different tips to get a good seal, finally I got a good nice fit seal from the TFZ Tequila foam tip and comply tip medium size.

I let it burn for 2 hours, because I really don't like the sound at all, it's not a sound that will grow on you.

Coming from CCA CA16, KZ ZAX, KZ ZS10 Pro, and TFZ Tequila, this one IEM is poorly tuned. I even compared with my KZ ED9 and free ROKU JBL, and my KZ ED and free ROKU JBL still sound better that this one.

I might get a lemon, I already notified TRN store for possible replacement.

I have to play a bit with EQ, but V90s is not an EQ friendly IEM. Without EQ, having a good seal, still not produce good enough bass, this is definitely not an IEM for bass lover.
I am not a bass lover, but the amount of bass produced by V90s is a joke. Mids are recessed and thin. Treble is dampened, not bright at all, causing the music that I listened to feel like being cramped into one space.

I will post more after more burning, or after they replaced the IEM.

But this one I can't recommend for you to buy from TRN.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #2,443 of 3,805
so the right ear IEM came back to live, but using other cable not the upgraded silver cable by TRN.

This is my impression overall 3/5

Pro: nice casing

Cons: hard to get good seal, one of the worst IEM in terms of fit, unnatural timbre, recessed mid, unimpressive bass, congested sound stage, poor separation and clarity, standard cables and accessories subpar compared to other IEM in the same price range.

I just got V90s yesterday, out of the box, it looks okay with metal casing, came with usual TRN box with standard silicone eartips and regular tangled cable.
I also received TRN silver cable, knowing that V90s having trouble in mid and treble side, silver cable at this point seems like a no brainer.
So I plugged the silver cable to the IEM; however what I got with it was a fading in/out sounds from the right ear monitor. The right ear monitor then stopped completely after 30 minutes. Very poor quality control probably. Knowing that TRN may have condensation problem previously I left it out overnight.

This morning I tried it again, surprisingly the right ear monitor is back to live. However, the sound was nowhere near any IEM in the same class or price range of V90s.

I tried different tips to get a good seal, finally I got a good nice fit seal from the TFZ Tequila foam tip and comply tip medium size.

I let it burn for 2 hours, because I really don't like the sound at all, it's not a sound that will grow on you.

Coming from CCA CA16, KZ ZAX, KZ ZS10 Pro, and TFZ Tequila, this one IEM is poorly tuned. I even compared with my KZ ED9 and free ROKU JBL, and my KZ ED and free ROKU JBL still sound better that this one.

I might get a lemon, I already notified TRN store for possible replacement.

I have to play a bit with EQ, but V90s is not an EQ friendly IEM. Without EQ, having a good seal, still not produce good enough bass, this is definitely not an IEM for bass lover.
I am not a bass lover, but the amount of bass produced by V90s is a joke. Mids are recessed and thin. Treble is dampened, not bright at all, causing the music that I listened to feel like being cramped into one space.

I will post more after more burning, or after they replaced the IEM.

But this one I can't recommend for you to buy from TRN.

I am almost certain your pair is faulty. I only agree with you on recessed mid, but mine has detailed bass, good stage and supreme clarity especially on vocal. It may sound unnatural due to the recessed mid but after EQ I think the sound reproduction is very realistic. I also have CA16, ZAX and ZS10 Pro and I prefer this over them. I paired mine with a copper-gold-silver cable and this combo is just the best for vocal tracks imho. Can't ask for more.

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #2,444 of 3,805
I am almost certain your pair is faulty. I only agree with you on recessed mid, but mine has detailed bass, good stage and supreme clarity especially on vocal. It may sound unnatural due to the recessed mid but after EQ I think the sound reproduction is very realistic. I also have CA16, ZAX and ZS10 Pro and I prefer this over them. I paired mine with a copper-gold-silver cable and this combo is just the best for vocal tracks imho. Can't ask for more.
I agree with your assessment except for the fact that you say EQ makes it sound more realistic, perhaps look into how EQ works but it is anything but realistic. Plus so many other variables people never mention: individual ear anatomy, ear tips used, unit variance, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back