TRN impressions thread
Jun 28, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #526 of 3,805
I have inquired for you. Yes, you can swap out a dynamic for BA but you will have to change the components on the crossover too. It may not worth the effort or extra cost.

Kind if what I figured.... Oh well, thanks for asking!

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #528 of 3,805
Well, they did give me a lot of freebies... So got to say good things about them once in a while right?

Just like our wives. We can't always win, so might as well not anger them by saying good things.

Strangely, less people in China complain about TRN than KZ. I used to tune for KZ so I know they can receive a few hundreds complains a day.
I like KZ. Their products usually work as advertised. TRN...not so much.

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #530 of 3,805
A comic strip poking fun at KZ dated 2008...

received_10156255333364792.jpeg

Boss: What earphones should we order from Taobao?

Employee 1: Zennheizer

Employee 2: Panda Express

Employee 3: KZ Hifi

Boss: ......

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #531 of 3,805
Strangely, less people in China complain about TRN than KZ. I used to tune for KZ so I know they can receive a few hundreds complains a day.
Strangely, you tend to consistently resort to unfair comparisons to present a highly biased point of view.

What KZ was 10 years ago is irrelevant to the direct current comparison of TRN and KZ, who compete in the same market. It is not like TRN sells their IEMs twice less expensive, because they are less established and "still learning".

Sorry, I will repeat my personal observations again.
(I have no any affiliations, KZ/CCA just earned my respect, so I feel to counteract your comparisons that seems quite unfair).

In my direct experience, the quality of KZ (and CCA) IEMs (10+) that I have is just great (no single problem so far).

A single TRN IEM (X6), that I got, has a problem with popping up tips (those provided in their own package(!!)), and then a connector that does not fit snugly, which is both a QC and design problem. Also the plastic of X6 makes it look as a prototype design.
This TRN product is outright not competitive against KZ/CCA, based on these facts.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #532 of 3,805
Strangely, you tend to consistently resort to unfair comparisons to present a highly biased point of view.

What KZ was 10 years ago is irrelevant to the direct current comparison of TRN and KZ, who compete in the same market. It is not like TRN sells their IEMs twice less expensive, because they are less established and "still learning".

(I have no any affiliations, KZ/CCA just earned my respect, so I feel to counteract your comparisons that seems quite unfair).

In my direct experience, the quality of KZ (and CCA) IEMs (10+) that I have is just great (no single problem so far).

A single TRN IEM (X6), that I got, has a problem with popping up tips (those provided in their own package(!!)), and then a connector that does not fit snugly, which is both a QC and design problem. Also the plastic of X6 makes it look as a prototype design.
This TRN product is outright not competitive against KZ/CCA, based on these facts.

Well, say what you like. I have my own opinions of KZ after 4 years with them (as if working for Trump for one Presidential term).

As consumers, yes, I have to agree their products have improved quite a lot in the last 2 years. As their former tuner, their ways of manipulating this industry is unfair to many competitors (not just TRN).

All I can say is both of us look at KZ from very different perspectives. There are a lot of things about them I can't talk about it here (and I don't think most of you are interested either), all I can say is I don't respect them as a competitor, but I respect them as manufacturer of affordable and good quality head-fi solutions (at least we share the same sentiment).

By the way, that comic strip was from Chinese social media years ago. I happened to remember it and share it here. No other ill intentions.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #533 of 3,805
By the way, I have more KZ IEMs in my possession than any other IEMs. I have witnessed, through my own eyes, how much their products have improved throughout the years, especially the last 2 years.

Undeniably, they made good quality products. BUT, they have gone through hell as well, from both local and international customers. Now it is TRN's turn to go to hell (sounds odd but it is true). I am not against it. In fact, it is healthy growth for a young company.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #534 of 3,805

There is a very easy solution for the tips that come off. Use a little rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip and clean the out side of the nozzle and inside of the tip. This removes any oily residue and the tips will stay on better. It is too bad that your first TRN earphone had issues. I have the V10, V20, V30, IM1,IM1 Pro, X6 and IM2. Other than an issue with the clear cover on the metal plate on the IM1, I have no quality issues with my TRNs. If you check my profile you will see that I also have lots of KZ earphones and have had few issues with them, however I never liked the wire in the cable so up until the ZSN I have changed all my KZ cables with TRN cables. The build quality of the IM1 Pro, X6 and IM2 that I received was excellent. In my opinion my IM1 Pro in black is the best looking earphone I own. I have to use a magnifying glass to see the line between the body and top cap of the earphone. What I like about TRN is that they are willing to offer a variety of turnings. While the V20 and V30 are KZish their tuning for the IM series and X series are very different. If I have any criticism/suggestion for TRN it would be, too better describe their intended signature in their promotional material so that purchasers better understand how the earphone they are purchasing is intended to sound. I realized a while ago that my likes and dislikes in earphones is not the norm. I am finding the X6 a refreshing change from the KZ style tuning. I do understand how someone purchasing the X6 expecting the usual V shaped tuning would be disapponted and confused by the tuning of the X6. During the last Ali sale I ordered the V60, V80 and H1 so I will have all the TRNs. Looking forward to the X8. Hello from London Ontario.

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #535 of 3,805
I have been constantly reminding TRN not to screw up X8 and their future products. I guess to the point that Ming is getting sick of it... (he was avoiding me last few days). So don't worry. I will keep an eye on them. If they screw up X8, I told them I will quit.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #536 of 3,805
I have been constantly reminding TRN not to screw up X8 and their future products. I guess to the point that Ming is getting sick of it... (he was avoiding me last few days). So don't worry. I will keep an eye on them. If they screw up X8, I told them I will quit.
the best thing for them to do in my opinion is to buy something really good and use it as reference point, to try to tune their product as close as posible

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #537 of 3,805
There is a very easy solution for the tips that come off. Use a little rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip and clean the out side of the nozzle and inside of the tip. This removes any oily residue and the tips will stay on better. It is too bad that your first TRN earphone had issues. I have the V10, V20, V30, IM1,IM1 Pro, X6 and IM2. Other than an issue with the clear cover on the metal plate on the IM1, I have no quality issues with my TRNs. If you check my profile you will see that I also have lots of KZ earphones and have had few issues with them, however I never liked the wire in the cable so up until the ZSN I have changed all my KZ cables with TRN cables. The build quality of the IM1 Pro, X6 and IM2 that I received was excellent. In my opinion my IM1 Pro in black is the best looking earphone I own. I have to use a magnifying glass to see the line between the body and top cap of the earphone. What I like about TRN is that they are willing to offer a variety of turnings. While the V20 and V30 are KZish their tuning for the IM series and X series are very different. If I have any criticism/suggestion for TRN it would be, too better describe their intended signature in their promotional material so that purchasers better understand how the earphone they are purchasing is intended to sound. I realized a while ago that my likes and dislikes in earphones is not the norm. I am finding the X6 a refreshing change from the KZ style tuning. I do understand how someone purchasing the X6 expecting the usual V shaped tuning would be disapponted and confused by the tuning of the X6. During the last Ali sale I ordered the V60, V80 and H1 so I will have all the TRNs. Looking forward to the X8. Hello from London Ontario.

Thank you for very useful suggestions!
The tip pop-up (just literally jumping out) was with the pristine new X6 and tips right out of the box. It was drastic with one earpiece, on which also the socket fit is far from perfect (a part of the design issue, in my opinion).
I solved the fit of the tips using a more rigid core but many (if not most) tips do not fit onto such a nozzle with a very gentle rim.

I learned to live to respect X6 tuning - I may listen to Miles Davis recordings one day :wink: though it does not work for me with many violin recordings in terms of timbre distortion, rather than a preference for the V-shaped tuning.

Hello from KW :)

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #538 of 3,805
I do not think the X6 was screwed up at all. I think mine is excellent. Meanwhile my IM2 has arrived in the country I ordered it in blue so it would not be the same color as the X6..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back