TRN impressions thread
May 31, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #136 of 3,805
2019-05-30-0208.jpg
2019-05-30-0208.jpg
My first initial impression on TRN IM2.TRN IM2 is successor of highly regarded IM1 and its derivative IM1 pro from the Chinese audio company,TRN.like its predecessor,It is a V-shaped sound sig IEM used for monitoring and can be use for analytical listening which has a good resolution and great details,This is highly recommended to live performances and acoustics.As I mentioned that it is V-shaped sounding IEM,It means that it has an emphasis on bass/low and treble/highs.The bass is deeper and punchy than IM1 but sometimes a little bit overwhelming on my hearing as I prefer tight and controlled one.it is in between punchy and boomy.The kicks on double bass and frets on bass guitar is pleasing and energetic (Dave Lombardo's double kicks and Cliff Burton bass sounds awesome)This could a good recommendation for bassheads.The mids are now more meaty and more well-bodied than IM1.its is more at the center.not too forward and laid back like IM1.the separation of instrument are well detailed and more coherent like IM1.the soundstage is great as you feel the spacing and layering of each instrument.The imaging is good too as you can hear the exact placing of instruments.The sound of guitars here are crunchy and life like sounding(Try to listen to Jimmy Page, Brian May,Eric Clapton and Malmsteen.)The treble part of this IEM is somewhat mixed bag in my opinion.This sound was less extended compare to the previous model the TRN IM1.it is still a bright sounding and it is well-detailed and clarity on its characteristics.but the good news,it has almost no presence of sibilance in this unit(Freddie Mercury vox is slightly sibilant on my IM1).the sounds crashing of cymbals are accurate and natural sounding with tightness on hi hats almost the same with IM1 but IM1 has more extended sound crashing or should we call it slower decay.The comfort is good in my ears as it fits well in my ear canal.The built of this unit is sturdy and well-engineered as it is made of premium resin material similar to some CIEMs and higher tier pricing IEMs and it has two holes in bore made of aluminum.you can really feel it like a premium one.my next target is either TRN X8 or TRN V90.

Source:LG V20(aux mode)
Accessory:TRN 6 core cable.
Tracks Tested: RHCP -Snow,Queen- Killer Queen,Billy Idol - Eyes without a face,Jane Wiedlin- Blue Kiss.(all of them Flac files for 16 bit to 24 bit.)

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #138 of 3,805
So I’m gonna wait now for next multiple driver TRN, as X6 impressions scare me and IM2 may be over bassified...lol.... I’m digging our friends inside info and future predictions!
Tin T3’s are in bound tomorrow from a member here BNIB so I’ll finally hear a legit Knowles driver and see how much, if any, differences there are.
Whats the next TRN coming thats ok to tell us? I’m not super current on this thread...sorry if its old news.

May 31, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #140 of 3,805
hi, can someone tell me how's the pin-stability on the im2-cable compared to e.g. kz zsn pro? cause the kz's and cca's have those extra covering at the end - will those cables fit on the trn im2?

Stability is good but ZSN Pro feels more secure. This type of connection is known as M-type connector in China (not to be confused with MMCX). M-type connector has its pros and cons. It resolves the issue of loose 2-pin with extra "grip" around the housing. And yes, it will fit IM2.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #141 of 3,805
So I’m gonna wait now for next multiple driver TRN, as X6 impressions scare me...

The X6 isn't as bad as FastAndClean has reviewed. Not that I am defending TRN.... it really isn't that bad. You just have to take note of the points which I have stated before:

1. Use an amp or DAC/Amp. At 58 ohms and 96dB/w, X6 really needs the extra juice to power through (although "high gain" setting isn't necessary).
2. Use balanced output instead of single-ended, if possible.
3. Use memory foam tips to get the best seal around your ears. The better the seal, the thicker the bass and low-mids.
4. Replace the stock cable with 8 or 16 core upgrade cable. TRN will launch the new 16-core SPC cable this month (May 15). Lower resistance of multi-core cable helps with high impedance earphones.
5. Use the highest resolution music source available to you. Trust me on this, low-bit rate MP3 files will sound like crap on the X6.
6. Listen to your music at lower volume than usual. It will give you better overall sound balance and resolution. Also, you won't get fatigued so quickly.

These are the same suggestions TRN posted on their Chinese website, if you follow them closely, your experience will be far from unpleasant.

Unfortunately, TRN X8 is still largely based on the X6 with four additional drivers. If you think X6 is "scary", then avoid X8 as well and look elsewhere. I heard from a friend in the Chi-Fi industry that CCA A10 sounds heavenly... Maybe you can give that a shot.

IM2 may be over bassified...

Try these EQ settings:

31.25 Hz, Q: 0.80, Gain: -4.50 dB
62.5 Hz, BW: 2.80, Gain: -2.50 dB
125 Hz, BW: 3.0, Gain: -1.50 dB

so I’ll finally hear a legit Knowles driver and see how much, if any, differences there are.

I have the T3 even before Massdrop's launch sales. If you think they really use genuine "Grade A" Knowles drivers, then you are being naive.

Currently toying with their new P1 planar IEM. This thing needs at least 400 hours before they can sound good. So unfortunate Chris magnetised his with that levitating novelty earphone display.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #143 of 3,805
Stability is good but ZSN Pro feels more secure. This type of connection is known as M-type connector in China (not to be confused with MMCX). M-type connector has its pros and cons. It resolves the issue of loose 2-pin with extra "grip" around the housing. And yes, it will fit IM2.

thnx, so i'm gonna get an im2 and buy this cable too:

HTB1aiPVbcrrK1RjSspaq6AREXXai.jpg

br, spectron

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #145 of 3,805
I have the T3 even before Massdrop's launch sales. If you think they really use genuine "Grade A" Knowles drivers, then you are being naive.

Currently toying with their new P1 planar IEM. This thing needs at least 400 hours before they can sound good. So unfortunate Chris magnetised his with that levitating novelty earphone display.
Sir,
how about audiosense,
US $106 | AUDIOSENSE T300 3 Knowles Balanced Armature Driver Hybrid in-Ear Monitor with MMCX Detchable Redefining sound quality
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bgpIfLUk

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #147 of 3,805
Sir,
how about audiosense,
US $106 | AUDIOSENSE T300 3 Knowles Balanced Armature Driver Hybrid in-Ear Monitor with MMCX Detchable Redefining sound quality
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bgpIfLUk

Not sure. Never tried their products. I don't buy IEMs. They were either given to me as samples or test units. I don't deal with Audiosense, so nothing from them.

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #148 of 3,805
4. Replace the stock cable with 8 or 16 core upgrade cable. TRN will launch the new 16-core SPC cable this month (May 15). Lower resistance of multi-core cable helps with high impedance earphones.

...I heard from a friend in the Chi-Fi industry that CCA A10 sounds heavenly...

Since you repeated it several times about the cables, please help me understand the physics/logic behind it.

I actually thought that high-impedance IEMs are useful to bring the best of the source (if they can be properly driven), minimizing effects of the cables.

If we consider two cables: first 0.8 Ohm (average generic one) and 0.2 Ohm (a very decent upgrade), then for 58 Ohm IEM, the difference between 58.2 and 58.8 Ohm is just 1%, while for 14 Ohm IEM - 14.2 and 14.8 are different by almost 5%, which is definitely appreciable.

Then, in my experience , it is often more helpful to add some impedance, while using those low-impedance IEMs, like KZ AS10, rather than using low resistance cables. In fact, that was the reason that I decided to order X6 despite a bit scary reviews.

P. S. I happened to order X6 together with CCA A10, so I may put together my impressions, also comparing with my favourite KZ AS10 and CCA C16 (and BA10 ).

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #149 of 3,805
Hey folks the links you folks are posting go to an AE home page not to a specific product.
Its happening a-lot but folks are unaware of the situation. I don’t know how to specifically post a link even then its 50/50 chance. Does anybody know why they are getting messed up?
Slater you need a new link below your sig with “How to properly post a link”.....lol
Haha, can you have that by Monday?....lol lol lol!

Jun 1, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #150 of 3,805
Hey folks the links you folks are posting go to an AE home page not to a specific product.
Its happening a-lot but folks are unaware of the situation. I don’t know how to specifically post a link even then its 50/50 chance. Does anybody know why they are getting messed up?
Slater you need a new link below your sig with “How to properly post a link”.....lol
Haha, can you have that by Monday?....lol lol lol!

When it does that, it means the person posted a link using the Aliexpress phone app. For others to use the link, they also need the phone app. The app is free to install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back