TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
May 16, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #16,817 of 24,683
Did I miss the postponement of the update? Is it still happening?

May 16, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #16,820 of 24,683
I'd tend to disagree in saying they didn't learn anything... They are learning, but through failure/issues.

During design of PM6 and hunter, they aimed for the Master-like cabling system with the connector at the Y and chose to listen to the community who wanted a 2-pin cable that didn't suck like what was seen on the PM4. Was it the right decision? Maybe not, time will tell. But they chose to move on to a new cable system which will become their go-to model and they're sticking to it... So unless of major issues with Icarus and Masters, they've learned and evolved on this front. As for the rest of the problems and fails, if they didn't learn from those, you see me shocked. :) Anyone in their situation would at least learn SOMETHING! :D
I guess a good way to put it is that they aren't consistently applying what they're learning. Like, they learned from the cabling mishap from the first 3 IEMs to develop this new y-split style, applied it to the Master and Icarus III/IV, but then they aren't applying that knowledge again for this first run of PM6s and Hunters; modifying an existing system didn't work well back then, why are they doing it again with the Hunter and the standard 2-pin system?

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #16,822 of 24,683
Can someone explain to me the idea behind the Y-split design? (I have the new Master for a few days now and have difficulties to accommodate to the heavy connector hanging around my neck).
I can't find any apparent reason.
Either its detachable or it's not.

Not useful for the cable tuning crew.
Not replaceable in case of a break at the wrong place.

May 16, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #16,823 of 24,683
On my masters I have plugged in a 4 pole 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm into the balanced connection on the Fiio X5 III and it does indeed work. The one I have is rather long so need a shorter one

May 16, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #16,824 of 24,683
Can someone explain to me the idea behind the Y-split design? (I have the new Master for a few days now and have difficulties to accommodate to the heavy connector hanging around my neck).

Trinity Audio's conclusion was that the traditional removable cable (connection at the shell) resulted in that connection being the most likely failure point followed closely by the jack end. As such, they decided to hard-wire the shell end, but keep the jack end easily replaceable, and thus they went with the y-split solution. Not an original solution (it's been used in other IEMs before, just not very many IEMs), but one they felt gave the most robust outcome.

Personally, I find the fully replaceable aspect much more appealing than the half user replaceable system they're putting in place. It means that with failure at any point, I can swap in another cable and continue to enjoy music. With this system, anything above the y-split has to go through them. Granted, I have a Vyrus 2 and the section above the y-split seems sturdy and all, but on the very off chance it goes, service is still a pain even if they get back to the old times of being super responsive and helpful. The tradeoff here is whether to go for a fully user replaceable system or more [claimed] initial robustness and with this sort of item, my choice would be the fully user replaceable system. Which is why I was happy when they announced this first run of Hunters and PM6s would have standard 2-pin connections, then puzzled when I saw the recent photos of the Hunter and it's recessed round socket.

May 16, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #16,826 of 24,683
Trinity Audio's conclusion was that the traditional removable cable (connection at the shell) resulted in that connection being the most likely failure point followed closely by the jack end. As such, they decided to hard-wire the shell end, but keep the jack end easily replaceable, and thus they went with the y-split solution. Not an original solution (it's been used in other IEMs before, just not very many IEMs), but one they felt gave the most robust outcome.

Personally, I find the fully replaceable aspect much more appealing than the half user replaceable system they're putting in place. It means that with failure at any point, I can swap in another cable and continue to enjoy music. With this system, anything above the y-split has to go through them. Granted, I have a Vyrus 2 and the section above the y-split seems sturdy and all, but on the very off chance it goes, service is still a pain even if they get back to the old times of being super responsive and helpful. The tradeoff here is whether to go for a fully user replaceable system or more [claimed] initial robustness and with this sort of item, my choice would be the fully user replaceable system. Which is why I was happy when they announced this first run of Hunters and PM6s would have standard 2-pin connections, then puzzled when I saw the recent photos of the Hunter and it's recessed round socket.

Y-split cable is an old design and dated and in general just cumbersome. As you mentioned, if the cable gets damaged above the Y split there is nothing you can do about it so there is really no benefit with the Y split cable.
Most high end IEMs either use the 2-pin connectors or MMCX. Last IEM that l have seen with the Y Split cable was the TDK BA200 and it was cumbersome and so not slick.
It's pretty straight forward to me, you either go full industry standard or design your own connectors if you have the time, resources and the experience.
It is such an odd decision to have one run of these odd shape connectors and then switching to the Y split cable - which is probably cheaper Vs. the full detachable cable.

May 16, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #16,827 of 24,683

Try wearing the y split behind your neck as suggested by someone else pages before. I briefly tried that last night and it seemed fine. My issue is when working around the house/pool/boat it always felt like my dap was being pulled out of my pocket into the water or ground. Will give it a full run this weekend that way.

May 16, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #16,829 of 24,683
Ok, help me, seems im so blind. Ok, see i was msg Bob with questions - Which is Masters have frequensy and how much ohms and impendance? and was have this answer by Jake: Have you tried looking on the order page on our site. Ok, what im doing wrong, help me to understood.

May 16, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #16,830 of 24,683
Y-split cable is an old design and dated and in general just cumbersome. As you mentioned, if the cable gets damaged above the Y split there is nothing you can do about it so there is really no benefit with the Y split cable.
Most high end IEMs either use the 2-pin connectors or MMCX. Last IEM that l have seen with the Y Split cable was the TDK BA200 and it was cumbersome and so not slick.
It's pretty straight forward to me, you either go full industry standard or design your own connectors if you have the time, resources and the experience.
It is such an odd decision to have one run of these odd shape connectors and then switching to the Y split cable - which is probably cheaper Vs. the full detachable cable.
Wait, which IEM is older, the TDK BA200 or Sennheiser IE800? Because I know the IE800 also used a y-split design. Anyway, like I said, I prefer fully detachable; it's better for troubleshooting too. If sound cuts, you can determine if it's the cable or if it's the shell; with a y-split, you can only know if it's the bottom half of the cable, but you have no idea if it's the top half of the cable or the shell. I was happy that the run of Hunters I'm in is using standard 2-pin, but then confused at what the socket looked like when the recent Instagram pics of the Hunter in packaging came out.

Also, wouldn't it stand to reason that having a fully detachable cable is actually less cost? Or actually, maybe not now that I think about it. You need 2 female connectors, 2 male connectors, and a male jack for a fully removable cable, but you only need 2 males jacks and 1 female jack on a y-split design. So I guess you need fewer parts with the y-split design, but at the cost of less experimental potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back