TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
May 16, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #16,801 of 24,683
Yeah, it's the Hunter one I see as more of an issue. The PM6, from this angle at least, looks okay. I think the recessed round connector on the Hunter is to fit their cable which you can see in that PM6 pic, but my issue with that is what if you use a 2-pin cable not from Trinity? That's the point of going standard 2-pin in the first place, right? Not everything is going to fit in that hole and even if they did, they're most likely rectangular and now you've got just a ton of empty space for dust and oils and other crap to accumulate right at the connection point. Poor design choice IMO.

To be honest, the hunter and PM6 were supposed to take the modular cable shift they did with the master and icarus, so the "trinity" 2 pin is due to the community's reaction to the modular cable. Considering the type of cables which are supposed to come with the PM6 and Hunters, why any other cable be necessary? Seems like it's a non-issue to me. :)

May 16, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #16,802 of 24,683
Yeah, it's the Hunter one I see as more of an issue. The PM6, from this angle at least, looks okay. I think the recessed round connector on the Hunter is to fit their cable which you can see in that PM6 pic, but my issue with that is what if you use a 2-pin cable not from Trinity? That's the point of going standard 2-pin in the first place, right? Not everything is going to fit in that hole and even if they did, they're most likely rectangular and now you've got just a ton of empty space for dust and oils and other crap to accumulate right at the connection point. Poor design choice IMO.

Same situation occurred previously with their 2 pin design. I had a Vyrus 1 cable fail and used a custom SPC 2 pin I had for a few days util I received the replacement, ugly yes functional yes so bottom line it worked in the interim.

May 16, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #16,803 of 24,683
To be honest, the hunter and PM6 were supposed to take the modular cable shift they did with the master and icarus, so the "trinity" 2 pin is due to the community's reaction to the modular cable. Considering the type of cables which are supposed to come with the PM6 and Hunters, why any other cable be necessary? Seems like it's a non-issue to me. :)
Again, here's the thing....clearly it could've been designed appropriately to fit ANY style. The shells had to be done in such a way as to be able to actually accommodate the rectangular connectors of the standard 2-pin style. The PM6's socket looks to have taken the simple solution, why not the Hunter? Some may not change cables, perhaps even most, but certainly not all. Why would another cable be necessary? I dunno, maybe because the original one will break after a while? 2 years, 6 years, whatever, it's gonna break at some point. And we've all seen how that cable looks (assuming it's still the one that's shipping with the Hunter as opposed to what we see in the PM6 photo) and some people (or is it just gonna be me?) will want to use a different cable simply because that cable, while made of what looks like high-quality cabling, seems bulky as hell. I'd may consider swapping in a new cable just for comfort alone. And you should be quite familiar with the community by now; most people willing to spend that sort of money like to do some experimenting as well and when there's a removable cable, what sort of experimentation gets thrown into the mix along with the usual source and amping? Cable-swapping. Ignoring this or doing a bad job of it is an oversight IMO due to the demographic that the IEM is supposed to cater to. People buying the mid-tier priced products likely want something good that works, so they probably won't be swapping cables. People spending in the even higher tier are more likely to hear what the company releases and go "hmmmm....what can I do to this item that can make it even better?" Some people will swap cables looking for some sort of different sound, some will do it for comfort's sake, and some will do it just for the hell of it. They're doing this thing again where they have to "add something extra" for no apparent reason. Standard 2-pin has the word "standard" as part of its reference name for a reason; stick to it.

Same situation occurred previously with their 2 pin design. I had a Vyrus 1 cable fail and used a custom SPC 2 pin I had for a few days until I received the replacement, ugly yes functional yes so bottom line it worked in the interim.
I echo my statement regarding their proposed launch of the Icarus IV: they don't seem to have learned anything. Simplistic core of the standard 2-pin design: needs to fit the 2 pins, don't care what cable from which manufacturer you use, it should fit with no weird extra space or anything. Feeling fancy? Recess the rectangular bit. Now you have a socket that fits any standard 2-pin cable and doesn't look weird or stupid doing it. Trinity's material choices and their looks are things I can get behind; their functionality designs, however are hit and miss.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #16,804 of 24,683
Same situation occurred previously with their 2 pin design. I had a Vyrus 1 cable fail and used a custom SPC 2 pin I had for a few days util I received the replacement, ugly yes functional yes so bottom line it worked in the interim.

They said that they replaced the cable pins with a sturdier connector and thicker connectors... We'll see how it goes. :wink: At the very least, I'll test my BTG-Audio cable whenever they arrive to see how backwards compatible they are.

May 16, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #16,806 of 24,683
I echo my statement regarding their proposed launch of the Icarus IV: they don't seem to have learned anything. Simplistic core of the standard 2-pin design: needs to fit the 2 pins, don't care what cable from which manufacturer you use, it should fit with no weird extra space or anything. Feeling fancy? Recess the rectangular bit. Now you have a socket that fits any standard 2-pin cable and doesn't look weird or stupid doing it. Trinity's material choices and their looks are things I can get behind; their functionality designs, however are hit and miss.

Bob said that they'd use their modular cable on all new lines of cables. Icarus IV is no different?

May 16, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #16,807 of 24,683
They said that they replaced the cable pins with a sturdier connector and thicker connectors... We'll see how it goes. :wink: At the very least, I'll test my BTG-Audio cable whenever they arrive to see how backwards compatible they are.
Entirely different base design in regards to the first 2-pin design and the 2-pin design on this currently batch of PM6s and Hunters. Their original 2-pin design (Vyrus 1, Sabre, PM4) used 0.75mm pins; the current 2-pin design (initial production run of PM6 and Hunter) use the 0.78mm pins which is widely used among high-end in-ear audio industry-leaders. It's not a sturdier or thicker connector in so many words, it's just straight-up a different connector. Future IEM production runs (PM6 and Hunter included) will use the system people are seeing on the currently released Master and soon-to-be-released Icarus III: the y-split solution attached at the shells.

Bob said that they'd use their modular cable on all new lines of cables. Icarus IV is no different?
I'm echoing my statement in the sense of "they didn't learn anything". As in, they didn't learn (with the Icarus IV) that you shouldn't launch yet another IEM when there's such a backlog of unshipped IEMs. Likewise, they didn't learn anything from their original tweaking of a connector system; they thought they'd do their own spin on the 0.75mm cable and socket on the first Vyrus, Sabre, and PM4 and look where that got them. Don't change what already works. Make no mistake, I want to see them succeed and would love for them to prove me wrong, but in my eyes, they keep doing things counterproductive to their own interests. To be clear, their interests are to make people happy through the selling of high price/performance ratio portable audio products. And so far, what they've been doing recently has been counterproductive to their mission of making customers happy, mainly because they're still currently failing to fulfill a massive number of orders before opening yet another order window for another sizable amount of orders. I'm obviously not the first nor only person to notice this. The past several hundred pages are testament to self-sabotage if anything; they keep setting themselves up for future problems whether it's through poor initial design or through poor handling of logistics. They've gotta learn to stop doing that; once they do, we can put this ordeal behind us and go back to enjoying their products......if/when they reach us.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #16,809 of 24,683
For those not having received the kombi tips, try to find them on your own or ask Trinity to deliver. In my experience, given that the size fits, they do the trick comfortwise and soundwise. I am currently (still) on black filters, and really enjoying the IEM overall, this evening particularly, with one track, the punchy, tight, and seems to me well controlled bass response.
I've found the kombi tips almost impossible to fit on the filter nozzle at first, and yesteday afternoon found the strategy to do it right. One side or the end of the kombi tip inner green part has to be put first onto the nozzle, after that, while that side is kept attached - pulled over the nozzle, one draws and stretches the rest of the tip over the other part(s) of the nozzle - over the opposite side of the nozzles circumference. I found that that was the only way I could attach the kombi tips successfully.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #16,812 of 24,683
For those not having received the kombi tips, try to find them on your own or ask Trinity to deliver. In my experience, given that the size fits, they do the trick comfortwise and soundwise. I am currently (still) on black filters, and really enjoying the IEM overall, this evening particularly, with one track, the punchy, tight, and seems to me well controlled bass response.
I've found the kombi tips almost impossible to fit on the filter nozzle at first, and yesteday afternoon found the strategy to do it right. One side or the end of the kombi tip inner green part has to be put first onto the nozzle, after that, while that side is kept attached - pulled over the nozzle, one draws and stretches the rest of the tip over the other part(s) of the nozzle - over the opposite side of the nozzles circumference. I found that that was the only way I could attach the kombi tips successfully.

A good alternative for Kombi tips are Monster Supertips from what I've noticed... If anyone is interested in all sizes except largest tips, I might be able to accomodate you. :wink: I only use large and never smaller sizes, I have a brand new pack...

May 16, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #16,813 of 24,683
Trinity blog:
May 15, 2017

Watch out for an up-date and news email being sent to everyone tomorrow.

Its a big one with lots to talk about with lots of news and information for all.

Edit: Long, long overdue I think!

Is it tomorrow already or still today?

May 16, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #16,815 of 24,683
I'm echoing my statement in the sense of "they didn't learn anything".

I'd tend to disagree in saying they didn't learn anything... They are learning, but through failure/issues.

During design of PM6 and hunter, they aimed for the Master-like cabling system with the connector at the Y and chose to listen to the community who wanted a 2-pin cable that didn't suck like what was seen on the PM4. Was it the right decision? Maybe not, time will tell. But they chose to move on to a new cable system which will become their go-to model and they're sticking to it... So unless of major issues with Icarus and Masters, they've learned and evolved on this front. As for the rest of the problems and fails, if they didn't learn from those, you see me shocked. :) Anyone in their situation would at least learn SOMETHING! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back