TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
May 16, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #16,848 of 24,683
You're not doing anything wrong as far as I can tell. Their web page for the Master (and really any of their IEMs) don't quote frequency response or impedance. I'd just say generally assume that response is the usual 20-20k and impedance is probably 16-32Ohms. I know they're really not big on describing things in numbers, but the rest of the industry does it, I figure they should do it in at least the simplest of capacities.

Excuse my ignorance but how does a company like Trinity Audio allow itself not to provide any data such as impedance, frequency graphs etc?
These are not too complicated to measure and publish. Instead Bob said the Master has a technical sound signature and the Icarus III has the emotional sound signature. Based on what l read about the Master it's definitely not analytical or neutral though.

The only thing l can think of is that they have a manufacturer in China producing for them as per their specs, put their branding on it and call it a day. Trinity is completely hands off, hence there is no technical data no assembly being done in house and stuff keeps changing constantly

May 16, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #16,849 of 24,683
Excuse my ignorance but how does a company like Trinity Audio allow itself not to provide any data such as impedance, frequency graphs etc?
These are not too complicated to measure and publish. Instead Bob said the Master has a technical sound signature and the Icarus III has the emotional sound signature. Based on what l read about the Master it's definitely not analytical or neutral though.

The only thing l can think of is that they have a manufacturer in China producing for them as per their specs, put their branding on it and call it a day. Trinity is completely hands off, hence there is no technical data no assembly being done in house and stuff keeps changing constantly
You are NOT excused for your ignorance! :dizzy_face: Mainly because you don't need to be. That's exactly my point. They're an audio company; they sell earphone products. Why are they incapable of posting the simplest of specs for their IEMs? Literally everyone that sells an earphone has at least frequency response range and impedance written somewhere. Online, on the physical package itself, doesn't matter, they at least have it; it exists. Heck this is even one of the things that's easy to get away with lying about. You can't tell people things have been shipping if no one receives anything over the course of 2 months, but if you said frequency response is 20-20kHz and impedance is 16Ohms, no one would bat an eye; worst case scenario, someone says it seems more like a 32Ohm impedance rather than a 16Ohm impedance. And 20-20kHz adheres to their policy so far in terms of "as far as you know". Because as far as you know, it does produce frequencies in the range of human hearing. Frequency response graphs are a different matter (few companies actually release their own frequency graphs), but frequency response range? Easy, just say it's in the range of human hearing.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #16,850 of 24,683

Regarding to the text in the quote I have put in the bold, I beg to differ / disagree, and agree partially with Bobs assesment, partially = regarding the Masters.
They have analytical sound signature - or "technical", as you call it, detailed, resolved, nice detail retrieval.
I would definitely regard it as analytical IEM. About neutral, I wouldn't want to venture into that field of debate, since that is really a tough subject.

May 16, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #16,851 of 24,683
Regarding to the text in the quote I have put in the bold, I beg to differ / disagree, and agree partially with Bobs assesment, partially = regarding the Masters.
They have analytical sound signature - or "technical", as you call it, detailed, resolved, nice detail retrieval.
I would definitely regard it as analytical IEM. About neutral, I wouldn't want to venture into that field of debate, since that is really a tough subject.

Thanks. Actually technical is Bob's term so l won't take the credit for it.
To me analytical sound signature is something like Ety. Highly detailed and flat. Technical, don't even know how to describe that but perhaps something like the Westone UM series? I don't know.
Neutral to me is flat sound signature with a little bit of bass boost. I can think of the PSB M4U4 as being very neutral, uncolored and true to the track.

May 16, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #16,853 of 24,683
To me analytical sound signature is something like Ety. Highly detailed and flat. Technical, don't even know how to describe that but perhaps something like the Westone UM series? I don't know.
Neutral to me is flat sound signature with a little bit of bass boost. I can think of the PSB M4U4 as being very neutral, uncolored and true to the track.

Well, I can only reiterate, and for no naïve reasons, that I wouldn't venture into the "neutrality" phrasing here, for many reasons, if of any help, my references for the comparisons to some extent are AKG K701 run of the matching headphone amp, and Grado GS1000 to a lesser extent, as I've given these a good run with Quad Pa One (which i sadly do not own). Both cans are known for detail, layering, separation, very articulate and "clear" sound signature.

You could equal Bob's term "technical" to what we call analytical, I presume.

Unfortunately neither do I have listened to Westones nor PSBs, but there are two reviewers here that were less enthusiastically inclined towards Masters, based on some measurements and comparisons with the IEMs and cans they like/have listened to.

While I have disagreed to some extent on the portion of the comparison of the Masters with AKG Q701 (not K701), I do respect both of their frame of references as well as some measurements (black filter assessment confirms what my ears hear with Masters as well) - i just happen to enjoy the Masters for what they are, fully aware of their price segment, with heavy rebate. Very good IEM indeed, if you ask me.

Analytical - to me very suitable with right filters to modern EDM productions that require headphone capable of good rendering and detail and subtlety retrieval. I am listening now to the EDM broadcast from BBC radio one in high quality (highest available) - and boy, do these render complex passages well, not thrown off by anything, really excellent separation without loss of dynamics...

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #16,854 of 24,683
Ugh, just woke up in my time zone.... expecting to read the announced email update - and what the actual, heck?
DON'T announce on your website that you will send an update tomorrow if you can't fulfil it. Just...stop...

I so agree... Now's not the time for false promises AGAIN.

May 16, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #16,855 of 24,683

Maybe he was referring to the differences between the dynamic drivers being employed in the two models. The push/pull off the Phantom's providing "technical" speed and impact, vs the larger driver of the Icarus providing rich and warm "emotion". Could be wrong about this though

Edit* with the customizable filters, the frequency response can be all over the place. That will be tougher to compare than with traditional single tuned IEMs

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #16,856 of 24,683

One might go for the data on the predecessor PM4 (if I am right) - 16 ohm, 20-20k freq. , although I was a bit surprised not to see those specs available on the Masters page, I wonder if thery wer not available earlier on.

May 16, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #16,857 of 24,683
I so agree... Now's not the time for false promises AGAIN.

And l actually was thinking this time is for real. Also I believe they are due for an update about the Phantom Air. I have a friend here who ordered them but hasn't heard anything since they said "2 weeks or even less" for the fix.
Their broken promises and ETA are completely off. This is not how you do it.
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me

May 16, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #16,858 of 24,683
Maybe he was referring to the differences between the dynamic drivers being employed in the two models. The push/pull off the Phantom's providing "technical" speed and impact, vs the larger driver of the Icarus providing rich and warm "emotion". Could be wrong about this though

Edit* with the customizable filters, the frequency response can be all over the place. That will be tougher to compare than with traditional single tuned IEMs

This actually made me order the Masters IEM as I prefer more "clinical" approach to the sound, although I can imagine that the Icarus III will be as good as well, only a different flavor. I learned my lesson in demoing the tube amp, and with certain cans or components the touch or fullness and warmth does the magic indeed...

May 16, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #16,859 of 24,683
One might go for the data on the predecessor PM4 (if I am right) - 16 ohm, 20-20k freq. , although I was a bit surprised not to see those specs available on the Masters page, I wonder if thery wer not available earlier on.

Yeah, but the PM4 is completely different earphones. The Master is not an improved PM4 as Bob said, as it happen they just stopped production of the PM4 and announced the Master. As far as I'm aware of this info was never available for the Master although people asked for it.

May 16, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #16,860 of 24,683
Yeah, but the PM4 is completely different earphones. The Master is not an improved PM4 as Bob said, as it happen they just stopped production of the PM4 and announced the Master. As far as I'm aware of this info was never available for the Master although people asked for it.

My bad then... funny to see PM4 still available online at some retailers, for the full price.. Good looks and - detachable cable ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back