TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Dec 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #9,782 of 24,683
  Hey guys. Since nobody sells Master 4 in my location I need your advice.
I'm currently looking for an upgrade over my Phonak PFE 112.
I loved Phonaks for clarity and precision. Highs were almost perfect for me. And I didn't feel I need more bass. I mostly listen to grunge, indie rock, post-punk, pop-punk, post-rock, post-hardcore, melodic hardcore.

Hi there,

I also owned (and loved!) the Phonak PFE 112, and also loved the clarity, detail and precision.
At the time I wished there was a bit more bass for certain tracks/genres, but otherwise we have largely analogous experience!
beerchug.gif

I listen too to several of the same genres as you.

I can't comment on the other IEM's you suggested, but I do own the PM4.

My personal and subjective opinion about the PM4 is that it is a flawed piece of brilliance.
It has similar levels of detail and clarity as the PFE 112. It has the filter system with 7 different tuning options, such that you can modify the sound signature quite considerably.
This in particular makes it a very 'safe' choice, in that you can customise the sound more or less to your liking.

However, a few people (myself included) have found there to be some issues with the sound.
It only seems to occur on certain genres of music of types of songs; usually complex songs with lots going on at once, and/or songs with a lot of treble and (high) percussion.
In such cases, the treble can be uncomfortably sharp and/or the sound can get a bit congested; it also seems like aspects of the detail are too 'forward'.

However, I'd add that firstly, in most other situations, the PM4 sounds extremely good.
Also, that by piecing together comments from Bob, Brooko, HiSoundFi and so on, it seems like this treble 'heat' has been addressed not only on the PM6, but also on the upcoming new version of the PM4. Of course, wait on some proper reviews, but if this is the case then I'd have no hesitation in recommending the new PM4 as a good replacement for the PFE 112.

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #9,784 of 24,683
Jake will sort once email received. Apologies.

Bob,

could you help check with Jake on my mail concerning some things with PM4...  Probably he will need your guidance on the technical side...

My order #3435..., I merged the escalation at the same time with my friend order #2835 & #3413. I have some questions there and I think Jake may need 
your help to address my questions...

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #9,785 of 24,683

Jake will sort once email received. Apologies.

Bob,

could you help check with Jake on my mail concerning some things with PM4...  Probably he will need your guidance on the technical side...

My order #3435..., I merged the escalation at the same time with my friend order #2835 & #3413. I have some questions there and I think Jake may need 
your help to address my questions...

Cant people send a PM?

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #9,786 of 24,683
I'm currently looking for an upgrade over my Phonak PFE 112. I owned two pairs for 5+ years. First died because of cable, second pair is still working.
Pairing with Cowon D20.
My first option - MEE Pinnacle P1. I have a chance to go to a store and compare them to PFE's.
My second option - Audio-Technica ATH-IM02. Same as above.
My third - Fidue A83. Also can go and try them.
As for the last but not least - Trinity Phantom Master 4... As I said beofre I cannot try them before I purchase and buy.

I loved Phonaks for clarity and precision. Highs were almost perfect for me. And I didn't feel I need more bass. I mostly listen to grunge, indie rock, post-punk, pop-punk, post-rock, post-hardcore, melodic hardcore.
Of course I'll replace my Cowon. Haven't decided yet, but my short-list is: Fiio X3-II (have to say I've read some really controversial reviews...), Cayin i5 and Cowon Plenue D. 

I've used the Fidue A83 and the PM4...so I can speak to those.  Get the VSonic GR07X which I've been listening to for the last week or so.  :)  Just released, tweaked GR07, and it's fantastic.  Fit and finish is much better than the A83 and PM4..and sounds phenomenal too.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #9,788 of 24,683
Also have just taken delivery of the LZ-A4 so will be lining those up against my Trinity collection (and IT03) at some point.

Will look out for any LZ-A4 comparison to Trinity stuff. Thanks.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #9,789 of 24,683
  Hi there,

I also owned (and loved!) the Phonak PFE 112, and also loved the clarity, detail and precision.
At the time I wished there was a bit more bass for certain tracks/genres, but otherwise we have largely analogous experience!
beerchug.gif

I listen too to several of the same genres as you.

I can't comment on the other IEM's you suggested, but I do own the PM4.

My personal and subjective opinion about the PM4 is that it is a flawed piece of brilliance.
It has similar levels of detail and clarity as the PFE 112. It has the filter system with 7 different tuning options, such that you can modify the sound signature quite considerably.
This in particular makes it a very 'safe' choice, in that you can customise the sound more or less to your liking.

However, a few people (myself included) have found there to be some issues with the sound.
It only seems to occur on certain genres of music of types of songs; usually complex songs with lots going on at once, and/or songs with a lot of treble and (high) percussion.
In such cases, the treble can be uncomfortably sharp and/or the sound can get a bit congested; it also seems like aspects of the detail are too 'forward'.

However, I'd add that firstly, in most other situations, the PM4 sounds extremely good.
Also, that by piecing together comments from Bob, Brooko, HiSoundFi and so on, it seems like this treble 'heat' has been addressed not only on the PM6, but also on the upcoming new version of the PM4. Of course, wait on some proper reviews, but if this is the case then I'd have no hesitation in recommending the new PM4 as a good replacement for the PFE 112.

I've used the Fidue A83 and the PM4...so I can speak to those.  Get the VSonic GR07X which I've been listening to for the last week or so.  :)  Just released, tweaked GR07, and it's fantastic.  Fit and finish is much better than the A83 and PM4..and sounds phenomenal too.

Thanks guys! Will be looking for GR07X and PM4 to test them. Still interested in MEE P1 though.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #9,791 of 24,683
I'm currently looking for an upgrade over my Phonak PFE 112. I owned two pairs for 5+ years. First died because of cable, second pair is still working.
Pairing with Cowon D20.
My first option - MEE Pinnacle P1. I have a chance to go to a store and compare them to PFE's.
My second option - Audio-Technica ATH-IM02. Same as above.
My third - Fidue A83. Also can go and try them.
As for the last but not least - Trinity Phantom Master 4... As I said beofre I cannot try them before I purchase and buy.

Of course I'll replace my Cowon. Haven't decided yet, but my short-list is: Fiio X3-II (have to say I've read some really controversial reviews...), Cayin i5 and Cowon Plenue D. 

It's funny, I had a coulple Phonak 022 which broke because of the cable, and I have a Mee P1 and a PM4. I suggest the P1, the PM4 doesn't have the clarity and the bass is like a rumble underground.

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #9,792 of 24,683
It's funny, I had a coulple Phonak 022 which broke because of the cable, and I have a Mee P1 and a PM4. I suggest the P1, the PM4 doesn't have the clarity and the bass is like a rumble underground.

I haven't heard the P1, so I can't comment on that, but I would say that if you have the time/patience, it might be better to at least wait and see what reviews and feedback the upcoming updated version of the PM4 is getting. Initial reviews from Jackpot77 sound very encouraging; issues with the current PM4 sound signature seem to have been addressed and the sound is reported as being more organic(something I missed from the Phonak).
Plus there's going to be a hugely increased range of sound signature customisation options with the new triple-bore filters and so on. The bass can be at Phonak or lower levels through use of appropriate filters, and that's without even having heard the upcoming increased range of filter options :)

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #9,793 of 24,683
Hey guys,

After solid use of these phones for a few weeks of the PM4  I can't help but feel very disappointed.

As I have posted before, I am getting horrible harsh tones using the V with dampener + Foam ear tips. Vocals for example from the new Kings of Leon album are painful to listen so I can't listen to the album really and many others like Mars Volta Deloused in Comatorium. Also some high pitch solos and when listening to rock the middle range of riffs doesn't sounds crisp and are painful. I have tried to switched to the normal flange ones but only helps a little with this. I've tried to play around with my equalizer but still can't get it right, seems dumb to just kill all 4k frequencies and play about with everything. A product should just work from out of the box. I use a Fiio X3 Generation 2. I only want to use foam as I love the bass for listenin to things like Metallica and other rock music also you can beat the seal you get from this type of ear tip.

The sound also keeps cutting out of either earphone and I have to keep playing with it. I also find that at times I just take the earphones out of my pocket and one of the earplugs is missing or just falls off. I have made sure many a time they are in correctly, I know 1 side has a groove which just smoothly fits in but I still get the same problems.

Perhaps I got a bad batch? I'm considering trying the RHA 20.

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #9,794 of 24,683
Hey guys,

After solid use of these phones for a few weeks of the PM4  I can't help but feel very disappointed.

As I have posted before, I am getting horrible harsh tones using the V with dampener + Foam ear tips. Vocals for example from the new Kings of Leon album are painful to listen so I can't listen to the album really and many others like Mars Volta Deloused in Comatorium. Also some high pitch solos and when listening to rock the middle range of riffs doesn't sounds crisp and are painful. I have tried to switched to the normal flange ones but only helps a little with this. I've tried to play around with my equalizer but still can't get it right, seems dumb to just kill all 4k frequencies and play about with everything. A product should just work from out of the box. I use a Fiio X3 Generation 2. I only want to use foam as I love the bass for listenin to things like Metallica and other rock music also you can beat the seal you get from this type of ear tip.

The sound also keeps cutting out of either earphone and I have to keep playing with it. I also find that at times I just take the earphones out of my pocket and one of the earplugs is missing or just falls off. I have made sure many a time they are in correctly, I know 1 side has a groove which just smoothly fits in but I still get the same problems.

Perhaps I got a bad batch? I'm considering trying the RHA 20.

Have you contacted jake@trinityaudioengineering.com

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #9,795 of 24,683
A couple of weeks with the Master 4 and now we are offered an upgrade / discount program to the reworked Master 4... the Phantom Master! 
basshead.gif

Who is going to make this jump? I feel it is incredibly generous of Trinity Audio to offer this, at the same I feel the these will be what the Master 4 should have been from the start; without any cable connection and other QC issues (although the replacement pair I received is flawless)

They do look good though. But in my opinion, a trade-in with lower costs would be better than keeping the 4's and paying  £60.00 for the upgrade. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back