TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Jul 26, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #4,411 of 24,683
Hi all,

I've had my Sabres for a few weeks but only just had a chance to try them out.

Initial response is mostly positive. Lovely clean, clear sound, well balanced and comfortable. The braided cables are excellent quality, though tangle easily (and I find the memory wire too long and unwieldy). And I agree with other comments about accessories - amazing!

My only problem is I assume with what others have called driver flex. On insertion there's an unpleasant, sharp noise that sounds a bit like when the bottom of a plastic cup is popped in and out.

If I'm listening while sat down there is no further problem but in my daily walk to work it's pretty horrible, adding a cracking noise every few yards.

Has anyone else encountered this? I believe that one person said it happened to them when the earphones were new but resolved itself after a short amount of usage.

Kevin

Get in touch with jake@trinityaudioengineering.com and he will sort out the issue no problem.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #4,413 of 24,683
Even though I just bought the Pinnacle P1, it is SO hard to resist the PM4, especially at that price...

I bought the P1 on a whim after I got the Sabre's,  I had fit issues with them and I found they sounded a bit dull in comparison to the Sabre's and didn't have as much of that 3D sound. I didn't give them a fair trial (back to Amazon!) though and I think I fell in love with the push-pull driver so I'm probably a bit biased too. Also the fit options with the long filters especially make them one of the few really good options for me at the moment. I can eventually get a perfect seal on any IEM but once I found the exact tip/filter combo that worked for me, I don't have to fiddle with them as much as the last several IEM's I've owned. 

I'm really looking forward to the Air Kickstarter, at first I thought these just had a wire between them but the completely wireless design is going to be a godsend for when winter comes and it's -10C to -40C out which makes cables outside a huge pain. Not sure how much I'd use them otherwise since I usually have room to carry a Fiio X5-ii and wired IEM's on me. I'm sure there's existing products on the marketplace now but it would be cool to see a high quality 3.5mm bluetooth transmitter from Trinity that's optimized for their products. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #4,414 of 24,683
Probably a stupid question but...I assume you won't be able to make and receive calls with the airs? I'm after a pair of wireless phones for uaing when watching things on my iPad and making calls in work (I tend to have long conference calls which are more bearable if hands free) and had planned on a pair of sonys but if I could us the airs then that would be ideal.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #4,415 of 24,683
Probably a stupid question but...I assume you won't be able to make and receive calls with the airs? I'm after a pair of wireless phones for uaing when watching things on my iPad and making calls in work (I tend to have long conference calls which are more bearable if hands free) and had planned on a pair of sonys but if I could us the airs then that would be ideal.

The Air is equipped with a mic so you can take calls while using them.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #4,417 of 24,683
I have been using the Sabres for almost 2 weeks now. I don't know if they are the panacea for dynamic IEMs, but for the preorder price, they are very good (and as others have mentioned, the accessory bundle is a bit over the top).

They have great authoritative bass without overdoing it too much (though I did find the default red filters to perhaps provide bit too much bass for most music. Not so much that it was too much bass full stop, but that it started to rob detail from other frequencies - I am currently using gold for the most part). As a reference point, the dynamic IEMs that I came from directly were the Vsonic GR07 Classics. The GR07s were a tad bass light, so my initial experience with the Sabres being a bit on the bass heavy side and a tad unrefined or lacking of detail\may be due to me being used to the GR07s (At first, I thought the GR07s were a bit treble harsh and occasionally sibilant when I first got them - but then I began to really appreciate the detail they could offer for a moderately priced IEM). In contrast to the GR07s being a bit more neutral sounding (ie, flatter freq response), bass light, and quite detailed, the Sabres seem more bass heavy, perhaps a bit less detailed, but also with quite a nice smooth/warm character that the GR07s lacked. I wish I could keep both as they are dynamic IEMs with different strengths. Alas, the plastic shell on one of the GR07s has started to develop multiple cracks and I fear - after only using them for 6 months - that its days are numbered. And this is what I really appreciate about the Sabres: the quality metal driver enclosures on an IEM at that price point. What good is the best sounding IEM in the world if it's broken?

My left Sabre also exhibits that clicking/suction cup sound that others are calling driver flex. However, I'm almost positive that this has to due with the ear tips as I can't imaging driver flex being that loud. I will have to double check, but I think this also occurred when I tried another ear tip, so maybe it has to do with how the tip sits on the filter/canal tube?

Edit: Just to add that the clicking sound doesn't happen often enough that it really bothers me. Seems to mostly occur when I am placing it in the ear canal and hardly otherwise.

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #4,419 of 24,683
  Sabre Review: https://www.amazon.com/PHANTOM-SABRE--Push-phase-monitor/dp/B01HY01K02/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1469560558&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=trinity+audio

How did you come up with the 7.5 rating when most of your individual ratings were above that? I understand sound is the most important part, but was curious. Thanks.

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #4,424 of 24,683
Been using the Sabres all week, trying to wrap my head around the sound signature and what filters I like most.

Yellow/gold filters are great, but I think my favorites are the orange filters. Ya they're more on the bassy side, but I feel like the added oomph balances out with the aggressive nature of the upper mids/lower treble.

Orange filters signature reminds me of the Dunu Titan 5, while the yellow filters reminds me of the Dunu Titan 3.

Review is starting soon.

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #4,425 of 24,683
Been using the Sabres all week, trying to wrap my head around the sound signature and what filters I like most.

Yellow/gold filters are great, but I think my favorites are the orange filters. Ya they're more on the bassy side, but I feel like the added oomph balances out with the aggressive nature of the upper mids/lower treble.

Orange filters signature reminds me of the Dunu Titan 5, while the yellow filters reminds me of the Dunu Titan 3.

Review is starting soon.

Gunmetal is love, Gunmetal is life. Most natural listen out of all the filters, second being the gold one. Orange is a good beater for the gym, while red is a bit too much and purple is just anemic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back