Travel suggestions for large headphones?
Oct 5, 2011 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

PrestigeWW

Head-Fier
How do you guys travel with your large cans? For weekend or longer trips, I'd like to take a pair of full size headphones with me instead of my iems.  Still debating between the he-500 and the LCD-2, but that's another issue.  What I don't want to do is have an additional carrying case just for my headphones - I'd prefer just to pack it into my luggage along with the rest of my things, but I'm a little wary about damage, etc.

Whatever steps you take to bring it with you, I'd like to know..

Thanks!

David

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 18
Heya,

Taking a $1000 headphone in a $50 bag with some $40 pants just seems like a bad idea to me.

I take my headphones around in crush-proof pelican cases. (link goes to the cases I use, for dimension specs and cost)

That case fits in my larger suit case. It will survive the plane crash, even if I don't. So someone gets a free headphone out of the disaster. I have one for my HE-500's and D5000's each. Also for my DAC/AMP.

As for just avoiding a case and packing your headphones in a bag, well, good luck with that. I wouldn't. If you are at all worried, get some travel headphones that can take a beating or are less expensive and you don't mind buying again.

Very best,

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 18

Quote:

Taking a $1000 headphone in a $50 bag with some $40 pants just seems like a bad idea to me.

I agree 100%.  I certainly don't want to cram a pair of LCD-2s between my socks and shirts. I'm just hoping there's another solution besides taking a carrying case that will occupy half of my luggage space.  Something with a more slim form factor would be preferable..

The Hippo case looks intriguing.  It's hard to tell whether either the Audeze or HiFiman cans would fit in it though.  HAs anyone used it for such purposes?

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 18
MalV - thanks for the pic, link, and info - I've been wondering the same thing and that solution looks perfect :)

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:

I agree 100%.  I certainly don't want to cram a pair of LCD-2s between my socks and shirts. I'm just hoping there's another solution besides taking a carrying case that will occupy half of my luggage space.  Something with a more slim form factor would be preferable..

The Hippo case looks intriguing.  It's hard to tell whether either the Audeze or HiFiman cans would fit in it though.  HAs anyone used it for such purposes?

If you look at the diameter of your LCD2/HE500, add at least an inch to that for the case, and maybe another inch just for foam/protection. That's how big the case simply must be or it won't fit. I've tried a lot of cases. I found the 6" depth of the inner case to be sufficient, with only a bit of overhead, so it's as small as I went for fullsize headphones like my HE-500 and D5000 (5" to 4" diameters respectively). Flatter cases (less depth) simply will not fit these headphones because you can't swivel the cups to lay flat. If they swiveled, my god, that would be incredible for storage and make it very easy to transport. But they didn't. Again, you can't get slimmer than the diameter of the headphone's cup itself, plus whatever it takes to protect it. So it's going to take space, simple as that.

You could just put it in a pillow case full of socks or cotton balls or something. Again, I use crush proof in case something gets thrown on my bags or as it gets tossed around in the air plane baggage, etc. Or I take it on as my carry on since it's small enough to fit. Plus, I use it on the plane... har har. Looks boss to crack it open and reveal a sweet headphone.

Very best,

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 18
well if u u know they can run on an ipod then i just keep them hanging on my neck

how much were they??

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 18
IMO don't do it, it's just too much of a hassle and there is always more risk of damage compared to just having them at a static location and using them sitting down.
How about a portable headphone like the ATH-ESW9/10, or the Sennheiser/Beyerdynamic portables?

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:

HD800 fits http://www.headfonia.com/headphone-transporter-the-hippocase/

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 18
IMO don't do it, it's just too much of a hassle and there is always more risk of damage compared to just having them at a static location and using them sitting down.
How about a portable headphone like the ATH-ESW9/10, or the Sennheiser/Beyerdynamic portables?

I'm a hifi snob - what can I say? Consider it an addiction. I just won't be happy sitting in a hotel listening to portable cans when I have others that I enjoy more at my potential disposal.

MalVeauX- I certainly admire your willingness to don your cans while sitting in the aisle seat. I'm just too mindful of open-ear headphones like the LCD-2 causing a disturbance to my travel neighbor. Hence my choice of the JH5 for on-the-go scenarios. I'll measure out the case, however, like you suggest. You've got me wondering, though, whether I'm better off just ordering the LCD-2 with the travel case and sucking it up when it comes to the added weight and heft..

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
I'm a hifi snob - what can I say? Consider it an addiction. I just won't be happy sitting in a hotel listening to portable cans when I have others that I enjoy more at my potential disposal.
MalVeauX- I certainly admire your willingness to don your cans while sitting in the aisle seat. I'm just too mindful of open-ear headphones like the LCD-2 causing a disturbance to my travel neighbor. Hence my choice of the JH5 for on-the-go scenarios. I'll measure out the case, however, like you suggest. You've got me wondering, though, whether I'm better off just ordering the LCD-2 with the travel case and sucking it up when it comes to the added weight and heft..

That's what the Denon is for. The HE-500 is for non-public use.
tongue_smile.gif

The Hippo case is great, but it's not crush proof. It's small though and would fit into luggage and be ok if you're the one handling it all the time. For plane travel, well, I'd only ever put it in a travel bag that goes on the plane with you, I wouldn't leave any non-crush proof case to the bag throwers in the belly of the plane, stuff magically gets destroyed that way.

Very best,

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:

Well you're a snob that's going to have to suck it up and a buy a case. Bon voyage.

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #15 of 18
Heya,

Just to show the size of a HIfiman HE-500 with a high end portable tube amp (the GoVibe Porta Tube) in the case I linked earlier:

Fits with cables on and lots of room for more bits like power adapter, etc, and of course, it's own powerful amp in the same case for a travel kit of high end hifi on the go. Completely crush proof.

Lots of powerful audio on the go.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back