TRANSPARENCY: The most important requirements
Feb 15, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #16 of 25
It really depends on what you are listening too.  If you are listening to normal stereo mixes and don't have a software or hardware crossfeed/HRTF processor then you'll want a 'phone with a HRTF built into its FR curve like the LCD-2.  That way it will sound more like it should on the speakers it was probably mixed for.  If you use a processor or are listening to binaural recordings or something similar which is taking care of the HRTF, then you'd likely want something with a flatter FR like the HE-6.

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #17 of 25

Quote:

Transducer resolution;
Open acoustic design;
Neutral sound signature (because, after all, there is no truly transparent headphome and every one as it's own peculiar sound signature)

im all agree with this,, but headphone with neutral sound signature is kinda hard to get if you ask for others opinion,, because everybody have their own perception of neutral sound...

for me headphone that have a neutral sound signature is that its sound exactly like what your amp n source sounds like.. either its sound good or bad.. colored or uncolored it depends on your setup not the headphone.. so maybe if you want a neutral/transparent headphone you should have a neutral/transparent setup first..

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #18 of 25
You also need a clean and clear amp to get the most out of transparent headphones. Some tube amps (especially the cheap ones) thicken and muddy the bass.

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
for me headphone that have a neutral sound signature is that its sound exactly like what your amp n source sounds like.. either its sound good or bad.. colored or uncolored it depends on your setup not the headphone.. so maybe if you want a neutral/transparent headphone you should have a neutral/transparent setup first..

For musical enjoyment or professional purposes, yes, I agree.

Quote:
You also need a clean and clear amp to get the most out of transparent headphones.

Check!
Yulong D100 (might upgrade to the A100) - German Maestro GMP 450 Pro (which I might try to mod into a more transparent headphone) and this is actually the reason why I opened this thread... I want to know how to modify the GMP 450 Pro acoustical damping and enclosure in order to make it more transparent than it already is...

Uncle Erik, your expertise is required here!
What are in your opinion the most important characteristics of a relatively transparent headphone?
What do you think...?

Quote:
It really depends on what you are listening too.  If you are listening to normal stereo mixes and don't have a software or hardware crossfeed/HRTF processor then you'll want a 'phone with a HRTF built into its FR curve like the LCD-2.  That way it will sound more like it should on the speakers it was probably mixed for.  If you use a processor or are listening to binaural recordings or something similar which is taking care of the HRTF, then you'd likely want something with a flatter FR like the HE-6.

Interesting point of view... I'll look into some crossfeed plugin for foobar200 and might try to get some binaural recordings to give it a try.

MORE INPUT PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #20 of 25
sony CD900ST or DT 48 :pthey are soooooo transparent IMO :D

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #21 of 25
Uncle Erik is right, a transparent headphone needs a good and clean set up.

The CD900 ST and DT48E are quite easy on set ups actually but they will reveal weaknesses. Since having them I have taken on the habit of warming up the set up with the Isotek Rejuvenation Track or random tracks from the album before actually listening to the album in question.

That written, the cleaner the signal the more justice you do to headphones like the CD900 ST and DT48E. 

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
im all agree with this,, but headphone with neutral sound signature is kinda hard to get if you ask for others opinion,, because everybody have their own perception of neutral sound...

I think you nailed it on the head. Bumping this thread up, as I've been interested in finding transparent headphones for my recently acquired DIYMod + RSA Mustang. I listen to all genres, mostly alternative rock/electronica. Does anyone know how the Ultrasone Pro 900's stack up as a transparent headphone (transparent to your setup, that is)? 

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #24 of 25
I updated the first post with some information compilation.

Some interesting keywords and facts compiled from this thread and my personal experience and search:

Bass presentation;
S-logic design, angled drivers, non direct path/less proximity between transducer and ear canal;
HRTF processing;
Custom equalization;
Custom fit;
Alternative designs/technologies - Sony PFR-V1 Personal Field Speaker, Koss KDE250 Dual element stereophone;

MORE INPUT PLEASE!!!!!!!

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #25 of 25
a headphone will never be transparent due to the headstage limitation, even with very good headstages such as in the HD800.

However you can get as close to transparency as possible with such programs such as Toneboosters Isone, with factors in such aspects as room acoustics and dampening. However you will need to know how to calibrate that properly and doing so, know a good bit of science related to sound.  Grados are not transparent due to it's recessed bass. End of story. Nor do they have the best timbre out there. Timbre is hugely important as is 'warmth' or in scientific terms, reproduction of even harmonics / higher THD (as speakers, even monitor ones, have higher THD than most headphones). Grados being transparent is laughable as you know, there are things called a bass guitar and the epitome of bass, the classical organ....
Only frequency response graphs can show transparency is terms of a lack of colouration. For this, arguably the beyerdynamic T1 is the most 'linear'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back