Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 30, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #9,961 of 10,312
Still looking for a replacement to the stock cable of the Focal Utopia.

The Hydra 18 looked interesting but pure silver could be too bright.

I would have give it a try but there is a slight problem ;
"Unfortunately as custom cables are made once an order is received and is made specifically for the customer to suite their needs, such as termination types, sleeving, splitter, length and such, we are unfortunately unable to accept any returns on any of our cables on the website. So when placing an order, please bare this in mind, there will be no exceptions to this."
I can understand, even if the manufactured believes in its products, he is not expecting many returns ans most of the material can be reused but I'am not stupid enough to spend $1000 on a cable that I have never heard and can't return.

So NO WAY

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #9,962 of 10,312

"Unfortunately as custom cables are made once an order is received and is made specifically for the customer to suite their needs, such as termination types, sleeving, splitter, length and such, we are unfortunately unable to accept any returns on any of our cables on the website. So when placing an order, please bare this in mind, there will be no exceptions to this."
I can understand, even if the manufactured believes in its products, he is not expecting many returns ans most of the material can be reused but I'am not stupid enough to spend $1000 on a cable that I have never heard and can't return.

So NO WAY
If I'm not mistaken, you're pretty much going to face the same policy with most if not all the popular boutique cable companies.

May 30, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #9,963 of 10,312
If I'm not mistaken, you're pretty much going to face the same policy with most if not all the popular boutique cable companies.

Not really, most of them allow returns, sometimes no enough (14days), most of the time 30 days

Also .some cable companies accept to change the cable terminaisons (with a few exceptions when newer terminaisons would have to be molded). Even if it is far from being free, when one invest on a $1K cable, the cable is not lost if one change his headphone, Utopia againt LCD-4 or vice-versa, of for the next focal flagship.

May 30, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #9,964 of 10,312
Not really, most of them allow returns, sometimes no enough (14days), most of the time 30 days

Also .some cable companies accept to change the cable terminaisons (with a few exceptions when newer terminaisons would have to be molded). Even if it is far from being free, when one invest on a $1K cable, the cable is not lost if one change his headphone, Utopia againt LCD-4 or vice-versa, of for the next focal flagship.
Good to know. My experience has been with Toxic, Effect, Plussound and DHC. BTG has something like a 25% re-stock fee. Norne was the only company I knew of that allowed no questions asked returns, don't know if they still do. I know they mostly all offer retermination and allow damage returns, but I'd be interested to know which companies offer returns if you just don't like the cable. It would certainly provide an option to audition outside of demo tours.

May 31, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #9,965 of 10,312

So NO WAY

You could also look for a used cable to minize your potential loss in case of a resale.

Toxic also has a very nice silver/gold cable, the SW22. I allow myself to mention, that I offer a Silver Widow 22 V2 for sale (Focal Utopia / 2.5mm) here.

May 31, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #9,966 of 10,312
Good to know. My experience has been with Toxic, Effect, Plussound and DHC. BTG has something like a 25% re-stock fee. Norne was the only company I knew of that allowed no questions asked returns, don't know if they still do. I know they mostly all offer retermination and allow damage returns, but I'd be interested to know which companies offer returns if you just don't like the cable. It would certainly provide an option to audition outside of demo tours.

Hi, give me as many cable brands you know who make cables for the Utopia and I'll ask them about their return policy and then post the results. They are a lot of information about the Utopia, the cables but there is no "summary" by topic. Cheers

May 31, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #9,967 of 10,312
Hi, give me as many cable brands you know who make cables for the Utopia and I'll ask them about their return policy and then post the results. They are a lot of information about the Utopia, the cables but there is no "summary" by topic. Cheers
Thanks! All the ones I mentioned make cables with Utopia connectors. Only other cable companies I'm familiar with but don't know the return policy would be Kimber, WyWires, or Whiplash.

Also, if you do get info on these, you might want to post instead on the Focal Utopia thread, as this thread should really only cover Toxic Cables info.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #9,969 of 10,312
You could also look for a used cable to minize your potential loss in case of a resale.

Toxic also has a very nice silver/gold cable, the SW22. I allow myself to mention, that I offer a Silver Widow 22 V2 for sale (Focal Utopia / 2.5mm) here.

Thanx, but I don't understand why they add 1% of gold which is a poor conductor (but very expensive) and I still wonder is silver will not be too bright for the Focal Utopia. I think Toxic silver cables would fit better HD650, Oppo PM3, Audeze and some HiFiMan and wouldn't give great results on HD700 / 800, Focal. I might be wrong but their policy, which I understand, is "no return" so all I can do is transpose on their cable my previous experiences occ copper / occ silver

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #9,970 of 10,312
Thanx, but I don't understand why they add 1% of gold which is a poor conductor (but very expensive) and I still wonder is silver will not be too bright for the Focal Utopia. I think Toxic silver cables would fit better HD650, Oppo PM3, Audeze and some HiFiMan and wouldn't give great results on HD700 / 800, Focal. I might be wrong but their policy, which I understand, is "no return" so all I can do is transpose on their cable my previous experiences occ copper / occ silver

From what I hear, compared to copper cables (Focal Utopia default cable, Black Dragon V2), gold seems to add low bass. The SW22 does not have the mid-bass hump of the Black Dragon, it just digs a bit deeper and is also more airy in the treble, with better sense of space and openness. It may still be slightly brighter overall than some copper cables, but it never sounds sibilant to my ears. While some may like the warmer sounding mids of copper cables, bass and treble are better with SW22's silver/gold. The SW22 is similar to good pure silver cables, but with low bass that I never heard from a pure silver cable.

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #9,971 of 10,312
From what I hear, compared to copper cables (Focal Utopia default cable, Black Dragon V2), gold seems to add low bass. The SW22 does not have the mid-bass hump of the Black Dragon, it just digs a bit deeper and is also more airy in the treble, with better sense of space and openness. It may still be slightly brighter overall than some copper cables, but it never sounds sibilant to my ears. While some may like the warmer sounding mids of copper cables, bass and treble are better with SW22's silver/gold. The SW22 is similar to good pure silver cables, but with low bass that I never heard from a pure silver cable.
Focal Utopia stock cable is only OFC. And you compared silver/gold cable to copper ones.
Regarding conductors, gold is only, far below copper and closer to the forth, aluminium, than to the second :
1 : Argent (63 x 106 S.m-1)
2 : Cuivre (59,6 x 106 S.m-1)
3 : Or (45,2 x 106 S.m-1)
4 : Aluminium (37,7 x 106 S.m-1)

I guess that if gold added low bass, major brands would have used it in some of their cable. But I've no way to listen to it so you opinion might be more valid than mine, specially on DAPs. What kind of music are you listening to and what is your return policy lol

Jun 3, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #9,972 of 10,312
Focal Utopia stock cable is only OFC. And you compared silver/gold cable to copper ones.
Regarding conductors, gold is only, far below copper and closer to the forth, aluminium, than to the second :
1 : Argent (63 x 106 S.m-1)
2 : Cuivre (59,6 x 106 S.m-1)
3 : Or (45,2 x 106 S.m-1)
4 : Aluminium (37,7 x 106 S.m-1)

I guess that if gold added low bass, major brands would have used it in some of their cable. But I've no way to listen to it so you opinion might be more valid than mine, specially on DAPs. What kind of music are you listening to and what is your return policy lol

From what I remember, SW22 has only 1% gold, so there is not much influence on eletrical conductivitiy. I listen most to Rock, Pop, Metal, Electronics. My offer in the classifieds is a private sale without return.

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #9,973 of 10,312
Sorry but to wait 6 months to get a cable which you have already paid the whole amount is something unacceptable regarding the attitude of a customer from a seller.

At least you could have send an email informing all the buyers about the issue of delay or at least post at your site an informative article.

Its the least you can do to show your respect to them.

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #9,974 of 10,312
From mid December to yesterday. Partly was because I changed my order halfway

Thanks for the reply/ advice. I'll go ahead an order a
Hello all,

Would appreciate opinions on an upgrade cable for my Shure SE846's. Prefer a relaxed sound signature so assuming an all cu cable would fit the bill - any SE846 users out there willing to share their views?

Thanks in advance.
From mid December to yesterday. Partly was because I changed my order halfway
Thanks for that.

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #9,975 of 10,312
Sorry but to wait 6 months to get a cable which you have already paid the whole amount is something unacceptable regarding the attitude of a customer from a seller.

At least you could have send an email informing all the buyers about the issue of delay or at least post at your site an informative article.

Its the least you can do to show your respect to them.

Sorry, i have posted updates on Facebook along with one just now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back