Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 12, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #8,042 of 10,312
I just got my 25.5awg Silver Widow for Fitear TG334 yesterday, have waited a long 5 months for it.

I must admit that sonically the depth and bass extension and details have improved, but I dearly miss the forward mids as the SW sounds rather mid-recessed to me (until you turn the volume up).

Question is: will further burn-in help the mids or should I have gotten another cable (perhaps the Virus)?

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #8,043 of 10,312
  I just got my 25.5awg Silver Widow for Fitear TG334 yesterday, have waited a long 5 months for it.

I must admit that sonically the depth and bass extension and details have improved, but I dearly miss the forward mids as the SW sounds rather mid-recessed to me (until you turn the volume up).

Question is: will further burn-in help the mids or should I have gotten another cable (perhaps the Virus)?

My SW cables needed about 200 hours to fully settle in.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #8,044 of 10,312

about the mids being recessed up until turnin up the volume sounds more like a ampflifier kind of thing..dont forget..the sw is so good it automatically shows all hickups in ur rig without mercy...a cable wont sound different because of volume differences..an amp does especially if the volume pot in the amp isnt up to par with the quality of the Sw..ur older cable probably didnt show it because of the inferior sound qualities...maybe u should try a different (better) amp? as what u just said i never heard off...yes during burn in time a cable changes for the good...but as far i know NO cable sounds different on different volume levels..only ur ears and amps do...another cable wont change that..and a virus will make u loose the details and treble extension that the sw has...and the mids are naturaly more recessed then on the sw anyway..so if the sw in ur opinion haz recessed mids then a virus wont help u also...but maybe try a different amp...who knows that will help. good luck with it...ofcourse we all want THAT perfect cable for us..just like u...

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #8,045 of 10,312
  I just got my 25.5awg Silver Widow for Fitear TG334 yesterday,

Quote:
  My SW cables needed about 200 hours to fully settle in.

+1
about the mids being recessed up until turnin up the volume sounds more like a ampflifier kind of thing.., ...yes during burn in time a cable changes for the good...but as far i know NO cable sounds different on different volume levels..

+1

Hi Softbunlet, 1st of all welcome to this great thread, and congratulation on your cable, the cable sound cool out of the box i know that, but the cable sound does change over the time, specially after 100 hours of burn in, and ofc the brain need to get used to the setup

for me and rookie, we both did experience a lot of details coming to our brains and the SW didn't settle in for quite a lot, it was enjoyable but i didn't show its true color what so ever, it took time for the brain to process that huge amount of details,  thats why we felt the mids wasn't clear, the soundstage isn't big yet, the bass didn't get tighter, and the sound didn't open up at all

then after while both of us (after many listening sessions, and burn it time) posted about the bass getting tighter and controlled, almost way too different than the 1st impressions and sessions, the mids and sound stage changed dramatically, and the true sound did final have been shown

now let me ask you this? why did both me rookie and me did have a long time before the sound settled in?  the answer is the setup / rig, for me i have a Chord Hugo + WA7 (EH Tubes + portaphile 627 old version (arguably the best neutral portable amp)  which is a dream setup for magnetic planer headphones users and CIEM users , thus the change in sound and what we will go throw due the different amount of details and quality is way different that a med-fi setup ,

so i you want to get a lot of details an upgrade to the DAP or DAC and amps will be needed, don't forget that a cable in the end will "deliver"  what truly your setup have, it won't "enhance"  the amp and the dac, not that i am saying your set up is bad or anything, just trying to make your problem more clear to you, cause the mids issue with you 100% isn't from the cable,  

maybe your setup is good as well, so i highly suggest you give the SW 100 hours + burn in time, and enough time for your brain to adjust to the sound, and ofc with a better rig you will be able to hear more details. 

and sorry about the long post but i just want everything to be clear for you, after all you are a fellow head-fier friends and we all here to help our head-fiers friends who love this hobby as much as i do. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #8,046 of 10,312
+1
+1

and sorry about the long post but i just want everything to be clear for you, after all you are a fellow head-fier friends and we all here to help our head-fiers friends who love this hobby as much as i do. 

I couldnt say it better my friend:)

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #8,047 of 10,312

Thank you.

Joe's was advised that the wait would be long for those who wanted to wait for the OM connector as we did not have these and some opted for alternative and that MO shipped over 3 months ago, while others opted to wait. Sorry for the wait.

As others have suggested, give the cable some burn in and let us know what you think after.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #8,048 of 10,312
  Thank you.

Joe's was advised that the wait would be long for those who wanted to wait for the OM connector as we did not have these and some opted for alternative and that MO shipped over 3 months ago, while others opted to wait. Sorry for the wait.

As others have suggested, give the cable some burn in and let us know what you think after.

Hi Frank, both you and Joe have been very apologetic about it, so thank you both for making this happen. I don't mean to keep harping on it. It's just that this has been the longest I've ever had to wait for any one product/item. Of course, with the overwhelmingly positive reviews and long wait time, I had developed really high expectations of the cable. Not that it disappointed tremendously or anything, I was just wondering if I had made the right choice with Silver Widow, as I am a mids-addict (hence the TG334). Overall, I can appreciate improvements in soundstage and bass impact and depth but the mids have become a bit recessed/thinner relative to the stock cable.

Some questions, if you have the time (I know you're busy :))

- Which cable do you think pairs well with the TG334 (if you've heard it) or are very mids-centric
- Which cable is popular with your customers ordering for Fitear
- What is a good burn in time for Silver Widow? I've seen different figures from 100-400 hours all over Head-Fi :wink:

Thanks again. The build quality of your cable is really excellent.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #8,049 of 10,312
Originally Posted by Shini44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Softbunlet, 1st of all welcome to this great thread, and congratulation on your cable, the cable sound cool out of the box i know that, but the cable sound does change over the time, specially after 100 hours of burn in, and ofc the brain need to get used to the setup
for me and rookie, we both did experience a lot of details coming to our brains and the SW didn't settle in for quite a lot, it was enjoyable but i didn't show its true color what so ever, it took time for the brain to process that huge amount of details,  thats why we felt the mids wasn't clear, the soundstage isn't big yet, the bass didn't get tighter, and the sound didn't open up at all
then after while both of us (after many listening sessions, and burn it time) posted about the bass getting tighter and controlled, almost way too different than the 1st impressions and sessions, the mids and sound stage changed dramatically, and the true sound did final have been shown
now let me ask you this? why did both me rookie and me did have a long time before the sound settled in?  the answer is the setup / rig, for me i have a Chord Hugo + WA7 (EH Tubes + portaphile 627 old version (arguably the best neutral portable amp)  which is a dream setup for magnetic planer headphones users and CIEM users , thus the change in sound and what we will go throw due the different amount of details and quality is way different that a med-fi setup ,

so i you want to get a lot of details an upgrade to the DAP or DAC and amps will be needed, don't forget that a cable in the end will "deliver"  what truly your setup have, it won't "enhance"  the amp and the dac, not that i am saying your set up is bad or anything, just trying to make your problem more clear to you, cause the mids issue with you 100% isn't from the cable,  
maybe your setup is good as well, so i highly suggest you give the SW 100 hours + burn in time, and enough time for your brain to adjust to the sound, and ofc with a better rig you will be able to hear more details. 

about the mids being recessed up until turnin up the volume sounds more like a ampflifier kind of thing..dont forget..the sw is so good it automatically shows all hickups in ur rig without mercy...a cable wont sound different because of volume differences..an amp does especially if the volume pot in the amp isnt up to par with the quality of the Sw..ur older cable probably didnt show it because of the inferior sound qualities...maybe u should try a different (better) amp? as what u just said i never heard off...yes during burn in time a cable changes for the good...but as far i know NO cable sounds different on different volume levels..only ur ears and amps do...another cable wont change that..and a virus will make u loose the details and treble extension that the sw has...and the mids are naturaly more recessed then on the sw anyway..so if the sw in ur opinion haz recessed mids then a virus wont help u also...but maybe try a different amp...who knows that will help. good luck with it...ofcourse we all want THAT perfect cable for us..just like u...

That's a nice (and expensive) rig you have there Shini44. I use an iPod Classic > HiFi-M8 and have been quite happy with it so far. I am hearing a lot more bass and details at the same volume off the rig and directly out of my iPhone 6. The mids sound relatively pushed back as a result. This is two steps forward, one step back. I am wondering if it will really "open up" the mids with more use or I should sell it off in pristine condition and get another cable.

hifimanrookie, I am turning up the volume to hear the mids and vocals at the same perceived volume as with the stock cable, which means the rest of the music is much louder than I'm used to and I certainly don't want any hearing damage. At that higher volume, it certainly sounds good until my ears start hurting. :)

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #8,050 of 10,312
Hi Softbunlet.
I don't have tg334 or silver widow cable but I do have mh334 and just received my black widow last week.
initially listen I felt mid sound blur and punching on the bass was too over.
But after 50 hours burn in it getting better.
Now I'm enjoy listening to it everyday(after 100 hours burn in).
soundstage more open, sweet mid sound and clear, bass controllable but not over booming.
Thanks to Kiats for recommend me this wonderful cable.

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #8,051 of 10,312

I am wondering if it will really "open up" the mids with more use or I should sell it off in pristine condition and get another cable.

two years ago i was the same as you if not worse, i bought the Toxic Cable scorpion, and i didn't give it enough time, i was like , the sound is strange it field weird and the stock cable is cleaner etc, ofc it will be like this since i heard the stock cable for 200 hours + and i did judge the new cable in 2-3 small sessions then wen't to sell it, and looking back at me from two years ago i think you are doing the exact same, 

no way the stock cable will give you a better sound than a SW cable, and for me the SW always gave me way more mids / sound stage when it did open up, you can even go back few pages and you will see that both me and rookei mentioned the same thing about the mids / sound stage changes over time on the SW, and i had two SWs (old and new) and i went through these phases twice.

bottom line bro, give it 100+200 hours before you judge the cable, cause one day after you gain a lot of exp from head-fi you will regret throwing the SW away, and you might have to wait again, and i am telling you this as someone who did this mistake before due the lack of understanding how the burn in + brain getting used to the sound systems work, thus you think the other cables will do the mids job better, the answer no they won't, cause the SW got silver which always deliver the mids in a good way.

yes i know you are thinking "how can a sound suddenly change and be better later?? " and all did tell me this before many times, and i always hated to wait and had doubts.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #8,052 of 10,312
two years ago i was the same as you if not worse, i bought the Toxic Cable scorpion, and i didn't give it enough time, i was like , the sound is strange it field weird and the stock cable is cleaner etc, ofc it will be like this since i heard the stock cable for 200 hours + and i did judge the new cable in 2-3 small sessions then wen't to sell it, and looking back at me from two years ago i think you are doing the exact same, 

no way the stock cable will give you a better sound than a SW cable, and for me the SW always gave me way more mids / sound stage when it did open up, you can even go back few pages and you will see that both me and rookei mentioned the same thing about the mids / sound stage changes over time on the SW, and i had two SWs (old and new) and i went through these phases twice.

bottom line bro, give it 100+200 hours before you judge the cable, cause one day after you gain a lot of exp from head-fi you will regret throwing the SW away, and you might have to wait again, and i am telling you this as someone who did this mistake before due the lack of understanding how the burn in + brain getting used to the sound systems work, thus you think the other cables will do the mids job better, the answer no they won't, cause the SW got silver which always deliver the mids in a good way.

yes i know you are thinking "how can a sound suddenly change and be better later?? " and all did tell me this before many times, and i always hated to wait and had doubts.

+1 i agree

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #8,053 of 10,312
Hi Softbunlet,
I've listened to TG334 and HiFi-M8 in the different occasion, and I use IPC as the source for my own rig. I suggest you to get the custom 30pins to USB interconnect cable from Frank to improve the sound from the amp. To get more of mids, you can consider Virus or Black Widow, and you can consider Silver Poison if you want the more forward soundstage. I use these cables to adjust the sound I want and working fine. For your reference.

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #8,055 of 10,312
Speaking of which, I'm cooking my personal SW 22 as we speak. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back