Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 15, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #5,717 of 10,312
Would PM to Frank be the way to place an order for a cable? 

Yep :wink: and dont forget to check his product list on his headfi profile with pricing :p

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #5,718 of 10,312
Hi Friends

i have the 8 wire hybrid and silver widow for hd800 for sometime now and i wanted to short comparison this two great cable.
The set used in this set up Flac->Foobar->Alo Greenline USB->Fostex HP-A8->HD800
After comparing these two cable with my hd800 i noticed that the 4 wire silver widow stands to the 8 wire hybrid quiet well.

Treble: The silver widow had more extension here and i realised that it was abit brighter than the 8 wire hybrid and the 8 wire hybrid gives a smoother treble and also brighten the treble abit than the stock cable but darker than the widow. both are great cable and the widow slightly wins in detail and the 8 wire wins in smoothness, both have very clear treble.

Mid: This is where i feel that the 8 wire shine here, the 8 wire warm the sound of the hd800 makes it really enjoyable with female vocal without having it too warm like copper cable and making it too bright with silver cable, the 8wire have done its job well done here but the silver widow is not a slouch either here, i noticed that the silver widow is less intimate than the 8 wire in the mid and less warm, piano does sounds better with the silver widow because of the more realism it gives
Bass: the silver widows gives a tighter bass to the hd800 but the 8 wire gives it more impact and deeper bass.

detail: the silver widow slightly edges the 8 wire in term of detail.

imaging and soundstage: the 8 wire have a bigger soundstage which quiet surprising and i like the imaging of the 8 wire abit more than the silver widow here, the silver widow have better instrument seperation. the 8 wire makes the vocal to be slightly upfront.

overall i really enjoy these two cables but i prefer the 8 wire on the hd800 with my set up, im gonna get an lcd 3 hopefully next month and im gonna sent my silver widow back to frank to terminate the connector, and one thing i noticed is that the silver widow doesnt change the sound signature by much with the hd800, its like keeping everything the hd800 had and making them alot better than stock cable while the 8 wire also does the same on some things like keeping the sound to be very clean but it also changes a couple of thing like making it abit warmer and more impact in the bass.
please take this comparison with a grain of salt because im not an expert and i just write what i hear with my ear so there might be slight bias because of my sound preference.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #5,719 of 10,312
Yep
wink.gif
and dont forget to check his product list on his headfi profile with pricing
tongue.gif

Thanks for the tip 
smile.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #5,720 of 10,312
hey Frank,
 i just got the perfect partner for the perfect cable u cooked for me...just look at them together...a pair made in heaven with that THICK cable with those real carbon connectors and black nylon sleeving..simply perfect! just wanted to show u that..damn..have to wait for at least another month or so for my amp...

ps.the phone is one of the 20 Code-X'ses..and i am the third person worldwide to get one..but mine is not brown like the others! and it isnt sealed with modern wood oil...but with old fashioned bee-wax i understand..like the olddays...thats why it has that hundred years old look and feel!
biggrin.gif

ps...the model on the pic is my 11year old princess...she volunteerd to show how comfy it is
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #5,721 of 10,312
Jan 16, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #5,722 of 10,312
overall i really enjoy these two cables but i prefer the 8 wire on the hd800 with my set up, im gonna get an lcd 3 hopefully next month and im gonna sent my silver widow back to frank to terminate the connector, and one thing i noticed is that the silver widow doesnt change the sound signature by much with the hd800, its like keeping everything the hd800 had and making them alot better than stock cable while the 8 wire also does the same on some things like keeping the sound to be very clean but it also changes a couple of thing like making it abit warmer and more impact in the bass.

I have two HD800s and one LCD-X.  If you are going to buy LCD 3 I suggest you compare it with LCD-X before making a final decision.  IMHO LCD-X sounds better than LCD 3 after comparison but of course it very much depends on personal preference 
wink_face.gif
.  I also had a SW for H800 but like you I sent it back to Frank for re-termination to LCD-X and it matches wonderfully with this CANs. IMHO the SW has overshot the HF of HD800 by a little bit even though it improves the bass, the sound stage, music separation and produces more air to the CANs. 

If you ask me, after owing LCD-X for more than a month I started to love LCD-X a little more than HD800 even though the higher midrange to HF department are not as good as HD800 however the SQ of LCD-X is more musical in particular when playing jazz vocals.  Just for example when playing Rebecca Pidgeon's Spanish Harlem the HF shaker sound can be heard clearly on HD800 and each one is a bit different BUT with LCD-X the shaker sound is very faint and barely audioable even with SW being used. However the strong point of LCD-X is that you will find Rebecca's voice has fuller body and better feeling than HD800.  These are just my impressions.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #5,724 of 10,312

Just received my cable from Frank today, I've seen many people talk about how 'sexy' his cables are and always thought pfffft it's a bloody cable guys, how could it look sexy but wow it really is sexy ha Something about it had me admiring it's beauty every few minutes :) Haven't had a chance to actually test/listen with it yet but can't wait to later! Just glad to have my headphones back, it's a been a long week without them! Big thanks to Frank aswell of course

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #5,725 of 10,312
@Hifimanrookie What pads are those with your HE-500s ?

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #5,727 of 10,312
  @Hifimanrookie What pads are those with your HE-500s ?

Those are not He-500, they're Code-Xs, which are modified He-5LEs. The pads are custom made, but I'd have to go back to the CodeX thread to check. They are similare to Audez'e pads.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #5,728 of 10,312
Those are not He-500, they're Code-Xs, which are modified He-5LEs. The pads are custom made, but I'd have to go back to the CodeX thread to check. They are similare to Audez'e pads.

AManAnd88Keys not HE5LE (those have a different kind of drivers).. but one of the 20x NOS HE5's he still had in stock...yes NOS....unused...RARE as hell :wink:
And ur right..custom made pads..and very very very soft....as is the headband with memory foam stitched in it :wink:

Maguire yes she is a princess..and it was a complete shock that she loved the looks..as she is more in the bling bling stuff like her mum...she wanted pics with them on her head to put on her facebook... When i heard that my jaw fell to the floor of the shock..lolz

More info on the code-x thread.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #5,729 of 10,312
@AManAnd88Keys not HE5LE (those have a different kind of drivers).. but one of the 20x NOS HE5's he still had in stock...yes NOS....unused...RARE as hell
wink.gif

And ur right..custom made pads..and very very very soft....as is the headband with memory foam stitched in it
wink.gif

@Maguire yes she is a princess..and it was a complete shock that she loved the looks..as she is more in the bling bling stuff like her mum...she wanted pics with them on her head to put on her facebook... When i heard that my jaw fell to the floor of the shock..lolz

Ah, thanks for the correction! I bet it sounds really good.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #5,730 of 10,312
AManAnd88Keys not HE5LE (those have a different kind of drivers).. but one of the 20x NOS HE5's he still had in stock...yes NOS....unused...RARE as hell :wink:
And ur right..custom made pads..and very very very soft....as is the headband with memory foam stitched in it :wink:

Maguire yes she is a princess..and it was a complete shock that she loved the looks..as she is more in the bling bling stuff like her mum...she wanted pics with them on her head to put on her facebook... When i heard that my jaw fell to the floor of the shock..lolz

Has your superamp been delivered yet? I've not been in the HE-500 thread since I flogged mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back