Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #5,566 of 10,312
Hello guys~

I want to find a replacement cable for my Philips Fidelio X1.

I've attracted by many reviews which talked about Toxic Cables.

Are there anyone can sharing the experience about using Toxic Cable on  Philips Fidelio X1?

Thx~!

Here is the link of someone who did
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/510

I ordered some cables from epiphany accoustics. I will report when I have them.
Don't know if the X1 needs a toxic cable , easy as it is.

Just received a Silver Poison for my He 500. Really wanted a copper cable but Frank had this one around
So.... After my first surprise , a totally different sound, I am totally addicted to the details , improved soundstage and instrument seperation with the Silver Poison. How does he do it? Silver , gold?

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #5,567 of 10,312
Received my SW just before xmas, to partner the Audeze LCD 3's which are slightly reticent in the very high frequencies. Yep, they do the job admirably. The bottom end seemed at first a little less full which stretched towards the mids compared to the stock cable. However, increasing the adjustable gain at the rear of my headamp and correspondingly reducing the volume control has brought everything back to as I like it with a deeper bass again. Just goes to show the cable needs matching electrically like everything else. Frank is a top man!

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #5,569 of 10,312
Just returned to London from my vacation this morning bringing along a brand new LCD-X with me.

On initial audition I found the SQ in the first hr. was terrible but it gradually improves after a few hrs. of continuous running.  I will run it for some time to let the driver units settling in.

When compare with my HD800 IMHO LCD-X is not as transparent and it appears to me the sound is veil like listening to music behind curtain. 

Tomorrow I will send my SW for my HD-800 to Frank for re-termination and I hope the veil effect will disappear when the SW cable is fitted.  

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #5,571 of 10,312
Just returned to London from my vacation this morning bringing along a brand new LCD-X with me.

On initial audition I found the SQ in the first hr. was terrible but it gradually improves after a few hrs. of continuous running.  I will run it for some time to let the driver units settling in.

When compare with my HD800 IMHO LCD-X is not as transparent and it appears to me the sound is veil like listening to music behind curtain. 

Tomorrow I will send my SW for my HD-800 to Frank for re-termination and I hope the veil effect will disappear when the SW cable is fitted.  

eek.gif
 For a second there, i thought you said the cables sounded terrible 
biggrin.gif

I received my X and XC some time ago, although i have not really had a chance to listen to them properly yet. One of my staff is currently borrowing them.

Did you get to try the XC?

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #5,572 of 10,312
Hey guys, definitely going with the silver widow. Me and Frank are just going over termination options so I thought I would ask here for some more opinions.

I have the he500 and I am think about getting XLR balanced termination. I would prefer 4 pin XLR since it's less bulky and seems to be where future inputs are headed. But I currently don't have a way to utilize the 4 pin input as I have the Yulong da8 dac. The integrated amp is a standard 1/4inch output. They also have a dual balanced 3 pin XLR output in the back which I would like to try.

My thinking is getting the termination in the XLR 4pin (planning on a balanced headphone amp in the futre) and just getting adapters for the standard 1/4 headphone jack and an adapter for the dual 3pon XLR. What do you guys think?

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #5,573 of 10,312
Hey guys, definitely going with the silver widow. Me and Frank are just going over termination options so I thought I would ask here for some more opinions.

I have the he500 and I am think about getting XLR balanced termination. I would prefer 4 pin XLR since it's less bulky and seems to be where future inputs are headed. But I currently don't have a way to utilize the 4 pin input as I have the Yulong da8 dac. The integrated amp is a standard 1/4inch output. They also have a dual balanced 3 pin XLR output in the back which I would like to try.

My thinking is getting the termination in the XLR 4pin (planning on a balanced headphone amp in the futre) and just getting adapters for the standard 1/4 headphone jack and an adapter for the dual 3pon XLR. What do you guys think?

If ur amp doesnt have balanced outputs for ur headphone then having a balanced cable wont help.... Just keep it single ended with good quality connectors...it will sound on its best then, as every adapter u use in ur rig interferes with ur soundquality!
On the other hand..if ur like me (i am waiting for my new completely balanced amp) and want ur cable to be future proof..then u can use an adapter... But u can also sell ur single ended cable when that time comes and buy urself a balanced cable when u do get a balanced amp.... I cant look into ur wallet or in ur head when u wanna upgrade to a premium (expensive) balanced amp...so its up to u to decide... Audio is fun huh? :D

Ps...a balanced amp is not always better sounding then a single ended one..it all depends how its built!

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #5,574 of 10,312

eek.gif
 For a second there, i thought you said the cables sounded terrible 
biggrin.gif

I received my X and XC some time ago, although i have not really had a chance to listen to them properly yet. One of my staff is currently borrowing them.

Did you get to try the XC?

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was the SQ from the stock cable with my new LCD-X was terrible when everything was new (in a relative sense when compared with HD800).  But after more than 15 hrs of continuously burning in, this morning I audition it again and I found the SQ has improved a lot.  The bass is definitely better than HD800 but on sound staging, clarity and details I like HD800 better.  I hope the SW can improve the overall performance of LCD-X in particular on transparency and clarity.

Yes I did compare LCD-XC with LCD-X for a short while before I bought the X.  IMHO the SQ from XC is not as good as X and comparatively the music is more "veil" even though the price of XC is more expensive than the X.  Might be I was wrong as the comparison was only for a short while. As a whole LCD-X is a good pair of headphones but I need to manipulate it with cables and amplifiers to make it sing.

When I have Frank's SW returned to me after re-termination work I will make a head to head comparison of LCD-X with HD800.  

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #5,575 of 10,312
Hello,

This is my first post in this thread.

A few weeks before Christmas I finally received the desperately awaited Silver Widow.
Out of the box my Audeze LCD-2 rev.1 was already good - I thought - then the moment came when I upgraded to the balanced Silver Widow. After appr. 2 days burn-in time I could not wait any longer ...
"Savouring" back & forth from the standard single ended to Frank's Silver Widow ... what you hear is absolutely amazing.
It is a difference like day & night or black & white. Unbelievable, Frank, what you have built! You must be very proud. THANK YOU!

I can't describe how happy I am now with my dream team:

Audeze LCD-2 rev. 1 with Toxic Cables Silver Widow connected to the wonderful Bryston BHA-1

This is my solution now as I could not "re-decorate" our living room for best listening results (yes, there is also a MAF existing
wink.gif
).
The only downside is when I'm enjoying my headphones I forget everything around me - my husband included.
Therefore yesterday we had our coffee together listening both ... so - as I really wanted to impress him - he could listen to the LCD-2 and I got the Denons.
Fully aware that he is the most critical listener I know, I was very excited to see his reaction.
At the end he simply said: "this was the first time I did not miss anything listening to headphones".
This was much more I expected, as I know he does not like headphones in general.

We listened to some of our favourites:
Roger Waters - Amused to death/The ballad of Bill Hubbard (because I had to wear the Denons ...)
Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat/ First we take Manhattan
Sigur Ros - Inni Disc 1/ Sevn-G-Englar (my favourite!!!)
Stereo Hoertest vol 6 - Maria Pihl/Malvina Utan Mörker

... all music that's either giving goosebumps or makes you cry - no matter which gender you are.

Wishing a very happy New Year to Frank and anybody who likes to enjoy music!
dt880smile.png

best regards
Sylvia

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #5,576 of 10,312
Recently aquired a vegan LCD-2. So many more Toxic opportunities to poison these headphones now. Hehe.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #5,578 of 10,312
I received a set of ultrasone 2900 cans in trade a week-and-a-half ago with two stock cables and a toxic cable (silver poison, I think). The 3.5mm stock cable made treble from my ipod-only music grating to almost hd700 levels and grainy through a pa2v2 amp. The 6.3mm stock neutrik cable made things noticeably better and proved best suited for my ipod from all 3 cables (toxic cable wouldn't work properly, even on a rega ear amp), but things definitely changed once I switched to plug-in sources. On my appletv, lg shelf system and rega ear amp, the toxic cables made the v-shaped response on the 2900s much more balanced, neutral, and transparent than the stock 6.3mm neutrik cable. I tried to give the stock neutrik cable another try, but I now noticed intermittently grainy signals in the sub-bass and sub-treble, not to mention a now-recessed mid-range, which is something that everyone reports on their review for this can. Thanks for making such quality-demanding cables to place me from "mid-fi" stock can levels to digital hi-fi levels and TOTL competitor in electronica genres. Heck, I will eventually post the same for other genres as well.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #5,579 of 10,312
If ur amp doesnt have balanced outputs for ur headphone then having a balanced cable wont help.... Just keep it single ended with good quality connectors...it will sound on its best then, as every adapter u use in ur rig interferes with ur soundquality!
On the other hand..if ur like me (i am waiting for my new completely balanced amp) and want ur cable to be future proof..then u can use an adapter... But u can also sell ur single ended cable when that time comes and buy urself a balanced cable when u do get a balanced amp.... I cant look into ur wallet or in ur head when u wanna upgrade to a premium (expensive) balanced amp...so its up to u to decide... Audio is fun huh?
biggrin.gif

Ps...a balanced amp is not always better sounding then a single ended one..it all depends how its built!

Decided to go with the future proof 4 xlr pin and the 1/4 adapter. I'm actually not sure when I'm going to upgrade the amp either.. the money isn't necessarily the issue (been saving up), I just want to make sure that I get something that I will truly enjoy. So I want to try the amps in person at meets or what not.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #5,580 of 10,312

On the other hand..if ur like me (i am waiting for my new completely balanced amp) and want ur cable to be future proof..then u can use an adapter... But u can also sell ur single ended cable when that time comes and buy urself a balanced cable when u do get a balanced amp.... I cant look into ur wallet or in ur head when u wanna upgrade to a premium (expensive) balanced amp...so its up to u to decide... Audio is fun huh?
biggrin.gif

Decided to go with the future proof 4 xlr pin and the 1/4 adapter. I'm actually not sure when I'm going to upgrade the amp either.. the money isn't necessarily the issue (been saving up), I just want to make sure that I get something that I will truly enjoy. So I want to try the amps in person at meets or what not.

That is what I did for my HD800 Silver Widows...Flexibility is good....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back