Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 17, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #8,461 of 10,312

Thanks a lot, Shini44. I am not sure if it is worth the extra money to have only one reference connector and one "standard" (6.3mm jack) at the Venom. If it would be possible to have both sides with reference connectors, it would be clear for me.

No, stick with the standard connector. No point in having the reference connector on just one end.

Also, if you will be using your set with 1/4" sources only, there is absolutely no benefit in having it terminated to XLR and having an adapter. Only benefit is that i get to sell you an adapter with the cable :wink: same with the reference connectors on one end only.

Thank you to all my existing customers for helping new customers in making their choices.

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #8,462 of 10,312
  No, stick with the standard connector. No point in having the reference connector on just one end.

Also, if you will be using your set with 1/4" sources only, there is absolutely no benefit in having it terminated to XLR and having an adapter. Only benefit is that i get to sell you an adapter with the cable :wink: same with the reference connectors on one end only.

Thank you to all my existing customers for helping new customers in making their choices.

oh didn't know he wanted it on one end XD

that doesn't make sense hehehe. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #8,464 of 10,312
Hmm. Instead of laughing about newbies you could have read my initial post carefully. Exactly this was my assumption while I was asking for experienced advise/confirmation. Or did I understand your comment wrong?

i am laughing at me, how come someone who helps all, laugh on those who he helps? -.-'' 

its ok you are new :p so a misunderstand or two could happens etc. 

i am a bad lazy reader XD hehehe.

anyway you can go without the reference connectors, first you need to know what you want? what do you want to be added to the LCD-3?  warmth in the mids? punchier bass? or faster and more controlled bass?  so i be able to help you with picking the right cable

in the end its about preference 

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #8,465 of 10,312
  i am laughing at me, how come someone who helps all, laugh on those who he helps? -.-'' 

its ok you are new :p so a misunderstand or two could happens etc. 

i am a bad lazy reader XD hehehe.

anyway you can go without the reference connectors, first you need to know what you want? what do you want to be added to the LCD-3?  warmth in the mids? punchier bass? or faster and more controlled bass?  so i be able to help you with picking the right cable

in the end its about preference 

OK. Thx for clarifying and your support.

Honestly I really like the sound of my LCD-3 and I am not really missing something. Answering your question, I would say I am looking first of all for a longer cable and of course not loose any sound quality with the new cable.

As I need a longer cable, I would like to get a great one because I like to buy once and be happy for a long time. Reading a lot in this great thread and taking a look at the (not up to date) website, gave me the impression to go with Franks reference cable Venum. Not only he describes the Venum as the best he heard for the LCD, but also I like the design and making a lot.

Using only a Hugo TT with 6.3mm jack, I will not order the adapter version and because the 6.3mm end is not available as reference connector, I was not sure if it would make any sense to go for the reference end only at the headphone side. This is now confirmed - it makes no sense.:wink:

What does the Venum do with the sound of the LCD?

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #8,467 of 10,312

What does the Venum do with the sound of the LCD?

the Venom (silver) there is copper two, but for LCD its the silver to go with

the Venom Silver is the cleanest sounding cable in the whole toxic cable family, its ultra smooth, and the reference one helps to make the whole chain deliver what its suppose to deliver,  because the stock connectors will stay in the way of these smooth notes

i mean if you want to get the best out of it, and make it sound 100% as it what it is, then yeh the reference connectors are what to go with

so you should expect a very very smooth and clean sound, better separation between the frequencies, faster bass and more textured, which is nice with the LCD-3 ofc. yet don't expect the bass to get punchier, this is not a SW22 or copper cable after all, its a pure silver, for the Treble ofc it will be better, but smooth in the same time. 

it doesn't take from the sound, but refined it a lot as you see while making it sound even smoother

if you don't want to spend you can go with the SW22 cable,  this one is for extra fun, punchier bass, fast and textured but not as smooth/transparent/clean as the Venom Silver, but ofc more fun and engaging. 

so if you are looking to make it sound extra fun and engaging then the SW22 won't hurt, yet if you want to make it sound clean (not saying SW22 isn't clean) and what ever i wrote up there, then go with the Venom Silver + reference connectors. 

i got to tell you the SW22 is known for being clean , fast , very good bass texture, but when i moved to Venom Silver , all of these points got a whole upgrade!!! made the SW22 sound dirty hehhe

but hey i love the SW22 way more because its what i love in a sound, i listen to j-pop and i love the treble/bass to be engaging and dynamic while being clean and textured , so the SW22 for me it is

remember its about what you want, i explained as much as i can, the rest is for you to choose ^^ 

hope this help you. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #8,469 of 10,312
  hi all normally take how many day to received the order , mine order post out on 5-1-16 ..

Can depend on your location, UK is usually next day, EU usually 5-7 days and rest can take around the 2 week mark unless you opt for FedEx/UPS.  When i am at the workshop tomorrow, i will look for your tracking number, with this you can get a clearer idea of when to expect it.

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #8,470 of 10,312
Received my Toxic-Cables Virus today :) As it was already built it only took a few working days to be delivered.

Far too early to give a proper review of the cable, especially as I have a Mjolnir 2 burning in. What I will say, is that Frank has been very quick with all of my questions, very helpful and polite. I couldn't complain about a thing.

The photos of the Virus do it no justice what so ever, this cable looks spectacular, they even glisten in the light. Needles to say, the build quality is top notch. Even if the materials used did nothing for the music, I'd still buy this cable - its just that nice. I'll likely pop it into the temporary trade thread for people to try out in a couple of months, or simply just to look at. Hah. Its a 4 pin XLR to LCD, incidentally.

Currently listening to the punchiest, clearest audio that has ever been produced by my LCD-2. Will be comparing it to a pure silver (dragon) in the coming months.

Take away notes:

Great communication with Frank
Great build quality
The virus is the sexiest cable on Earth.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #8,472 of 10,312
Frank......these SW22's with those adapters from 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm/6.3mm single ended......absolutely stunning in craftsmanship and sound quality.  Really brings out the lush mids of the TG334's (I already posted the K10U earlier hah).....ok maybe the Hugo has something to do with it, but I'm going to chalk it up to the cable.  Thanks!

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #8,474 of 10,312
I bought the toxic cables hybrid silver/copper Virus headphone cable for my Audeze LCD 3. It was delivered promptly following helpful dialogue with Frank.

After sustained listening and comparisons with the stock cable I can report my personal impressions:

Treble is brighter, but mids and bass are constrained (a noticeable reduction of extension) and very much drier. The treble emphasis gives the impression of a slightly wider and higher soundstage but I believe this to be the audible effect of brightness, not a true expansion of soundstage. The price for this is an overly dry and hard sound, with a loss of clarity, imaging and the essential organic and detailed quality in the mid range and bass which so characterise the LCD 3. It is less composed in sound presentation than the stock cable which is, in my opinion, far superior. The hybrid does not, in my opinion, do justice to the LCD3.

I recognise that this is counter to others' experience (which prompted me to purchase the cable in the first place), but these are my genuine impressions.

Unfortunately, Frank will not accept a return on the basis that this was a custom cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back