Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 4, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #8,431 of 10,312
Happy New Year to you all, new to the site and was hoping for some helpful advice. Do apologise if this has been asked a thousand times before.

Ive been looking around for a while for ways to improve the sound of my Audeze LCD-3 headphones, fantastic as they are, but we can't help but tinker can we. I thought i would start with a replacement cable, but as im sure your all more than well aware its a mine field out there. Anyway one name kept coming up and that was Toxic Cables.

I've read a lot about the products and it would seem Frank has a very loyal following, which means quite a lot I think. However i've had a look at the website and his product list on his profile, but to be honest I'm not sure where to start.

So my question is, what would you guys recommend for my setup. Oh yes forgot to mention I use the Audeze with a Chord Hugo TT DAC.

I'm also considering a headphone amp, any recommendations would be great, and was wondering if going fully balanced would be of benefit.

Any help would be much appreciated. I believe Frank is located in Kent, so potentially i'm not a million miles away in Essex, not sure what he is like for loans. Cables that is not money, but then again
wink_face.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #8,433 of 10,312

Ive been looking around for a while for ways to improve the sound of my Audeze LCD-3 headphones, fantastic as they are, but we can't help but tinker can we. I thought i would start with a replacement cable, but as im sure your all more than well aware its a mine field out there. Anyway one name kept coming up and that was Toxic Cables.

I think for the Audeze line, you won't find anything better on the market than Frank's Silver Widow.  I've sold off all my Audeze headphones for now (lcd-2, lcd-3, lcd-x, lcd-xc) and they've all been magnificent with either the Silver Widow 24 gauge or Silver Widow 22 gauge.  I will be running the LCD-4 (when it gets built) with my Silver Widow 22 for sure with a heavy duty Neutrik 4 pin XLR connector since all my amps are balanced.  I think you should talk about the amp pairings with the TT in another thread though to not derail the thread...or you could PM guys (I'd gladly try to help you) that you think has gear you're interested in pairing with the TT. 

So many of Frank's cables came in.....beautiful interconnects, so much Silver Widow goodness for my earphones and HE1000....I'm too ashamed to show my rack now as it's pretty empty now (in transition to new electrostat equipment and I have to setup my new Bryston BDP-2) so I'll get a shot of that later....but for now a small teaser, simply fantastic:

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #8,435 of 10,312
Well I tried to make an order but with no replies I'll keep my money in my pocket instead. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #8,437 of 10,312
I haven't heard from Frank in over a week, he maybe busy or away. Im sure he will respond.

I can appreciate he is very busy, however there is a fine line between business with someone and no contact at all. I think 11 working days with no contact is poor.

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #8,438 of 10,312
Apologies for non reply, i get dozens of emails each day and sometimes when i need to look in to something for certain emails, i can forget to come back to them as i am usually working on cables at the same time as replying to messages.

If someone does not get a reply within 48hrs, please send a quick reminder.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #8,441 of 10,312
  Thanks Frank.....Looks like I will know soon enough myself if I can hear the difference between the 24g & 22g....
beerchug.gif

Didn't find the time to reply.  But yes there is a pronounced difference IMO going from the SW24 to the SW22.  I don't want to make the claim it extracts more details from the music but it seems to make the music much more focused IMO.  Might be a combination of detail retrieval and staging....but the overall feel is that everything tightens up and the music seems more focused.  See if you can hear a difference back to back.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #8,442 of 10,312
Hi sensui123, Thanks for your thoughts on the SW22g. I like what you say about it....

This is going to be the cable I will use for a newly acquired Tralucent 1plus2. .....Who, by the way is chomping at the bit knowing he will get paired with this cable.

As currently not getting the most out of this IEM, as I am using Silver Poison cable, which by the way has turned it into a detailed monster, but just lacking that bass impact that I originally heard on the Aussie tour using their stock Silver & Gold cable. Since the SW is made of the same - like ingredients, although different measures & came in 22 gauge....Also knowing that Frank was the cook.....Well just seamed a no brain er....

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #8,443 of 10,312
  Hi sensui123, Thanks for your thoughts on the SW22g. I like what you say about it....

This is going to be the cable I will use for a newly acquired Tralucent 1plus2. .....Who, by the way is chomping at the bit knowing he will get paired with this cable.

As currently not getting the most out of this IEM, as I am using Silver Poison cable, which by the way has turned it into a detailed monster, but just lacking that bass impact that I originally heard on the Aussie tour using their stock Silver & Gold cable. Since the SW is made of the same - like ingredients, although different measures & came in 22 gauge....Also knowing that Frank was the cook.....Well just seamed a no brain er....

i am currently using my 1p2 with the SW22 and all i could say is it sounds much better than the original Silver & Gold cable, and certainly SW22 could give you the great bass you are hoping to have. Now i am pairing it with the TUR-06 and the combo blows a lot of things away
hope you enjoy your upcoming cable 
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #8,444 of 10,312
  i am currently using my 1p2 with the SW22 and all i could say is it sounds much better than the original Silver & Gold cable, and certainly SW22 could give you the great bass you are hoping to have. Now i am pairing it with the TUR-06 and the combo blows a lot of things away
hope you enjoy your upcoming cable 
beerchug.gif

Now that's music to my ears M42a.......I was probably one of the first few with the SW24 & absolutely  loved that cable....Now time for the SW22 to show me what it can bring.....Make my 1plus2 Sing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back