Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #6,736 of 10,312
Pity..as he wont be making any anymore..the only 20 originals he will ever make (were all NOS HE5's) are sold out...no more..but u can try to find a very RARE second hand HE5 (not HE5LE!!) and let him transform him into a code-x :wink: it wont be a new code-x headphone..but u will get the soundquality of one :wink:

Am happy for u that u like the abyss..so now ur waiting for the new to come electrostatic TOTL hifiman headphone huh? The new godzilla of headphones? The killer of giants?

BTW..Just got a pm from frank that my new cable will probably be ready around middle next month..yeah!!!!! :D am really curious what he will have cooked up for my cable then..i told him to go wild on it :wink: hope i wont get a cable of REAL snake skin :D

So soon i will also be part of the elite secretious venom family :p

@lugnegaard: i always take at least 100hrs burn-in time for any cable i buy.
And weird that ur own built viper cable sounds worse then ur standard cable, as any toxic cable should sound better then the standard one from the start in my experience...but i never had a viper, so maybe its a viper thingie, maybe it just needs burn in time :rolleyes:
...but ur cable looks good by the way! Very tidy!
Have fun with it :D

We have to teach you the secret handshake, Paolo. ;p Look forward to hearing your impressions.

As for the new hifiman, let me order a nuclear plant to power it first... :)

Jun 13, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #6,737 of 10,312
We have to teach you the secret handshake, Paolo. ;p Look forward to hearing your impressions.

As for the new hifiman, let me order a nuclear plant to power it first... :)

:D

A bit oftopic..but..OMG..5-1 against spain...we totally humiliated them ...poor spain..oops..now back ontopic :D

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #6,739 of 10,312
Hey Frank, I heard that you had a 18AWG Litz copper cable? How much does that cost (HD800, 6ft)? 

Sent him a pm ..thats the correct way for inquiries for pricing.
Small tip: if ur looking for an excellent cable for ur hd800..go for a 8wire 22awg Black widow...or the 18awg retangular solid wire copper venom rc4 (4wire)..both copper cables :wink:

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #6,740 of 10,312
Small tip: if ur looking for an excellent cable for ur hd800..go for a 8wire 22awg Black widow...or the 18awg retangular solid wire copper venom rc4 (4wire)..both copper cables
wink.gif

PM sent. I really want a cable that isn't too thick though and the one that project86 posted a while back looks perfect. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #6,741 of 10,312
PM sent. I really want a cable that isn't too thick though and the one that project86 posted a while back looks perfect. 

Btw 18awg is a thick cable.

.the BW is flexible, looks sexy, is not heavy nor to thick and sounds wonderful, and not unimportant..he is very affordable! and u can choose for different sleeves if i am not mistaken (also silk)..

To give u an idea of how thick a 8wire 22awg Bw is..my dual mono balanced cable.....a 4wire 22awg version is much thinner also..and if thats still to thick..a 26awg BW is also possible. :wink:

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #6,742 of 10,312
If this has been discussed in the past, I apologize in advance.  I'm curious, if anyone who has the Shure SE846 IEM and has one of these aftermarket cables, which one you went with, and how does the new cable sound compared to the stock Shure cable?  Also, do you feel it is worth the price for the auditory upgrade?  (not talking about the comfort of the cables at all).  Thanks for your input.

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #6,743 of 10,312
  Built my Viper today, was a lot of fun. The round 4-braid was a little bit of a challenge but it came out good.

My question is: how long do you have to burn them in? At the moment they doesn't sound so good, the soundstage is very small compared to the stock cable and it lacks body.

Cheers,
Mike

My bad! I has made a mistake in the soldering process and now it sounds awesome!

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #6,744 of 10,312
My bad! I has made a mistake in the soldering process and now it sounds awesome!

Good for u..as u saying that ur viper cable sounding worse then ur standard cable sounded a bit weird to me :wink:

Have fun listening! But still...it needs around 100hrs or so to be fully burned in and on its best...in my experience anyway.... :D

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #6,745 of 10,312
Small tip: if ur looking for an excellent cable for ur hd800..go for a 8wire 22awg Black widow...or the 18awg retangular solid wire copper venom rc4 (4wire)..both copper cables :wink:

+1

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #6,746 of 10,312

IIRC stock HD800 cable is also pure copper, but it does have a characteristic sound.  I have also tried other pure copper cables which do not alter the treble presentation.  

I have heard cables that smooth the treble, but this is not something I personally want to do with a cable, I prefer to use transparent cable and Anax mod 2.0 the HD800.  I still feel a good UPOCC cable lends that last bit of timbral and tonal transparency, ideally without affecting transient accuracy.

To be honest though this is just my opinion, and a cable is just as valid way as any to tune the sound of the HD800 if one so pleases.

I have had good experience with litz OCC copper in cotton in the past, do Toxic have anything like this?

I did the "Anaxilus" modification on the inside of my HD800 cups as well.  The damping material on the periphery of the drivers significantly reduced sibilance (with only a mild loss of the sound-stage size) but did not eliminate it.  I found it necessary yo use the Copper Venom cable in addition to the Anaxilus mod to eliminate the sibilance and stridency in the HD800 sound.  That and a very clean amp,

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #6,747 of 10,312

IIRC stock HD800 cable is also pure copper, but it does have a characteristic sound.  I have also tried other pure copper cables which do not alter the treble presentation.  

I have heard cables that smooth the treble, but this is not something I personally want to do with a cable, I prefer to use transparent cable and Anax mod 2.0 the HD800.  I still feel a good UPOCC cable lends that last bit of timbral and tonal transparency, ideally without affecting transient accuracy.

To be honest though this is just my opinion, and a cable is just as valid way as any to tune the sound of the HD800 if one so pleases.

I have had good experience with litz OCC copper in cotton in the past, do Toxic have anything like this?

I did the "Anaxilus" modification on the inside of my HD800 cups as well.  The damping material on the periphery of the drivers significantly reduced sibilance (with only a mild loss of the sound-stage size) but did not eliminate it.  I found it necessary yo use the Copper Venom cable in addition to the Anaxilus mod to eliminate the sibilance and stridency in the HD800 sound.  That and a very clean amp,

Or, no Anax mod and some Silver Widows......
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #6,748 of 10,312
+ 1

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #6,749 of 10,312
Or, no Anax mod and some Silver Widows......:D
Or, no Anax mod and some Silver Widows......:D

You are joking, I hope.

While the Silver Poison and Silver Widow are great for the Audeze LCD2/3, they are not good matches for the HD800, which is positively allergic to silver. Both the positive qualities of the HD800 (tight bass, details) and it's flaws (sibilance, stridency, lack of bass volume and impact) become accentuated. The overall sound become overly analytical, sizzling and rather unpleasant. The bass also becomes too quick, thin and lacks impact. You don't want to go there.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #6,750 of 10,312

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

You are joking, I hope.

While the Silver Poison and Silver Widow are great for the Audeze LCD2/3, they are not good matches for the HD800, which is positively allergic to silver. Both the positive qualities of the HD800 (tight bass, details) and it's flaws (sibilance, stridency, lack of bass volume and impact) become accentuated. The overall sound become overly analytical, sizzling and rather unpleasant. The bass also becomes too quick, thin and lacks impact. You don't want to go there.

Pardon while I disagree....Mike's mod is a great thing for many people. It is not useful for me. I have also found the SW's to be a terrific pairing with the HD800's. I would point out that I consider cables to be a final frosting. They are not the be all for sound by themselves. However, as part of a chain they can be that last bit that really makes the sound complete.

If you are finding fault with HD800's, "Look to thy chain". I am running a north of $10K chain that took a lot of time to perfect to my tastes and it is wonderful. All the elements do their part. Weakness anywhere will be identified.

So....Thanks for your opinion, that is what we do here, however, your experience does not define everyone else's....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back