Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #6,721 of 10,312
I have a custom balanced 8wire 22awg dual mono black widow cable (but am already waiting for a venom version of that cable to be built by frank).some people call it the hifimanrookie special..lolz..

.that cable..for the price it costs is a no brainer..until now i didnt come across of any cable capable of delivering of such sweet music for that price....

The Venon that i will get must be out of this world good to beat this, especially paired with a brighter phone like a he500 (which i had for 2 years) code-x (which i own now) or a hd800 it shines!... The ones which have a 8wire BW (whether 'standard' or custommade like mine) know its an excellent cable..punching far above its pricepoint.

About u mentioning 25 % improvement over the standard cable..well that will never happen..no matter how expensive the new cable is.. But that its better...no doubt! U better invest (HUGE!) in ur rig to get that improvement

As sensui also said..many cables are good..u just have to find the right on for ur likings.. Pricewise frank is almost unbeatable with the quality he makes..IMHO ofcourse!!!!!!

I see. I guess 25% is unrealistic and a tad high. I haven't experimented with any cables offered for the HD 800 so forgive my ignorance on the matter, but realistically I'd love at least a 10% upgrade in sound quality or dynamics for a 300$ cable. I think that is fair. We all work hard for our money (well at least I do) so I don't want to get tapped or duped into some snake oil salesmanship, especially in regards to something like cables. Anyway. It's something to think about.

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #6,722 of 10,312
Very
Thank you for your honesty and I am really thinking about grabbing the Copper venom. How is it different from the reverie in your estimation? I'd love to know, especially since they are wickedly priced differently. I also sent Frank a message with some questions regarding the cable in relation to my headphone set up. Right now I've got a Harman Kardon receiver/ Amp which in my opinion powers the HD 800's magnificently partly because they are not power thirsty only being 300ohms. Then I have an ARCAM irDAC which makes my audio sing and does get rid of some of the furious treble and sibilance because of the DAC's good clean and warm analog signal. My feeling and I asked frank about this where getting that cable (copper venom) help with a smoother sibilance while still keeping the HD's amazing dynamics? I still await his response. :wink:

Like I said, both different but work to smoothen out the HD800.

One of the reasons for the HD800 having slightly exuberant trebles, I suspect, is the spc cable use as stock.

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #6,723 of 10,312
Like I said, both different but work to smoothen out the HD800.

One of the reasons for the HD800 having slightly exuberant trebles, I suspect, is the spc cable use as stock.

IIRC stock HD800 cable is also pure copper, but it does have a characteristic sound.  I have also tried other pure copper cables which do not alter the treble presentation.  

I have heard cables that smooth the treble, but this is not something I personally want to do with a cable, I prefer to use transparent cable and Anax mod 2.0 the HD800.  I still feel a good UPOCC cable lends that last bit of timbral and tonal transparency, ideally without affecting transient accuracy.

To be honest though this is just my opinion, and a cable is just as valid way as any to tune the sound of the HD800 if one so pleases.

I have had good experience with litz OCC copper in cotton in the past, do Toxic have anything like this?

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #6,724 of 10,312
The stock HD 800 cable is SPC (Silver Plated Copper).

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #6,725 of 10,312
Jun 10, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #6,726 of 10,312
IIRC stock HD800 cable is also pure copper, but it does have a characteristic sound.  I have also tried other pure copper cables which do not alter the treble presentation.  

I have heard cables that smooth the treble, but this is not something I personally want to do with a cable, I prefer to use transparent cable and Anax mod 2.0 the HD800.  I still feel a good UPOCC cable lends that last bit of timbral and tonal transparency, ideally without affecting transient accuracy.

To be honest though this is just my opinion, and a cable is just as valid way as any to tune the sound of the HD800 if one so pleases.

I have had good experience with litz OCC copper in cotton in the past, do Toxic have anything like this?

Agree on effect of cables. You are looking at the Black Widow.. :)

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #6,727 of 10,312
^^^^ thanks everyone. This is quite helpful in my decision making to pursue smoothing out the HD's very bright treble and sibilance. I have to admit the ARCAM irDAC has made a wonderful contribution to the HD 800's sound base. The ARCAM carries a very strong analog signal which does help smooth out the HD's treble, but not at very high volumes. Anyway, the ARCAM is a great buy and a great pairing with the HD's. I think my next purchase to seal the relationship of my headphones and DAC beautifully, will be a TOXIC cable (Copper Venom.) :wink:

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #6,728 of 10,312
^^^^ thanks everyone. This is quite helpful in my decision making to pursue smoothing out the HD's very bright treble and sibilance. I have to admit the ARCAM irDAC has made a wonderful contribution to the HD 800's sound base. The ARCAM carries a very strong analog signal which does help smooth out the HD's treble, but not at very high volumes. Anyway, the ARCAM is a great buy and a great pairing with the HD's. I think my next purchase to seal the relationship of my headphones and DAC beautifully, will be a TOXIC cable (Copper Venom.) :wink:

Congrats! Always nice to come to a decision :)

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #6,729 of 10,312
Congrats! Always nice to come to a decision :)

My friend..since when do u have a abyss??? I just saw it in ur signature! Damn..thats uberhigh league! Does it perform according to its huge pricetag? I read contradictionary info about that... Nice headphone collection u have mate, especially ur iem selection.... Do u have a toxic cable for every headphone (and iem) u have? :xf_eek:
And i see u have the higher end hifiman phones as well...pity u didnt get an original code-x, when u could (as i did).as that would certainly complement ur collection..it was a last minute decision..as i wanted to get a he6..

But for sure it could be one of ur favorite phones to listen on, as they are extraordinary..am still stunned that i managed to get one...and feel lucky... :wink:

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #6,731 of 10,312
My friend..since when do u have a abyss??? I just saw it in ur signature! Damn..thats uberhigh league! Does it perform according to its huge pricetag? I read contradictionary info about that... Nice headphone collection u have mate, especially ur iem selection.... Do u have a toxic cable for every headphone (and iem) u have? :xf_eek:
And i see u have the higher end hifiman phones as well...pity u didnt get an original code-x, when u could (as i did).as that would certainly complement ur collection..it was a last minute decision..as i wanted to get a he6..

But for sure it could be one of ur favorite phones to listen on, as they are extraordinary..am still stunned that i managed to get one...and feel lucky... :wink:

Heheh! It's a recent acquisition. Well, properly driven, it is an amazing headphone. The speed, the clarity and the depth and width of the soundstage... Not to mention the deep impact of the bass.

And yes, I would have at least one Toxic cable for each of the headphones or iems, where possible. Sometimes, more than one. :) I swap around with my Fitear customs, for example. Will need to discuss with Frank what my ideas for a Toxic cable for the Abyss...

Oh well... I just wasn't sure. At that point in time. :) But who knows in the future...?

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #6,733 of 10,312
Built my Viper today, was a lot of fun. The round 4-braid was a little bit of a challenge but it came out good.

My question is: how long do you have to burn them in? At the moment they doesn't sound so good, the soundstage is very small compared to the stock cable and it lacks body.

Cheers,
Mike

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #6,735 of 10,312
Heheh! It's a recent acquisition. Well, properly driven, it is an amazing headphone. The speed, the clarity and the depth and width of the soundstage... Not to mention the deep impact of the bass.

And yes, I would have at least one Toxic cable for each of the headphones or iems, where possible. Sometimes, more than one. :) I swap around with my Fitear customs, for example. Will need to discuss with Frank what my ideas for a Toxic cable for the Abyss...

Oh well... I just wasn't sure. At that point in time. :) But who knows in the future...?

Pity..as he wont be making any anymore..the only 20 originals he will ever make (were all NOS HE5's) are sold out...no more..but u can try to find a very RARE second hand HE5 (not HE5LE!!) and let him transform him into a code-x :wink: it wont be a new code-x headphone..but u will get the soundquality of one :wink:

Am happy for u that u like the abyss..so now ur waiting for the new to come electrostatic TOTL hifiman headphone huh? The new godzilla of headphones? The killer of giants?

BTW..Just got a pm from frank that my new cable will probably be ready around middle next month..yeah!!!!! :D am really curious what he will have cooked up for my cable then..i told him to go wild on it :wink: hope i wont get a cable of REAL snake skin :D

So soon i will also be part of the elite secretious venom family :p

@lugnegaard: i always take at least 100hrs burn-in time for any cable i buy.
And weird that ur own built viper cable sounds worse then ur standard cable, as any toxic cable should sound better then the standard one from the start in my experience...but i never had a viper, so maybe its a viper thingie, maybe it just needs burn in time :rolleyes:
...but ur cable looks good by the way! Very tidy!
Have fun with it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back