Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #6,706 of 10,312
Just bought this snake,

10371678_611540375608021_7186052713797154183_n.jpg

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #6,709 of 10,312
Hi folks, I apologize if this has been asked before, but if I would like to order some cables from Frank, would it be easier to email or PM him? Sorry guys, first timer here....so trying to get some sense of how things work here....

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #6,710 of 10,312
Hi folks, I apologize if this has been asked before, but if I would like to order some cables from Frank, would it be easier to email or PM him? Sorry guys, first timer here....so trying to get some sense of how things work here....

I find PM is the best way to reach Frank. Give him a few days, and he will reply. If you don't receive a reply after a few days, PM him again.
He does reply to each and every PM he receives.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #6,714 of 10,312
  WOW!! I made an order last wednesday (30 feet of Viper) and got it today! That is seriously fast!!

Haha. I wish I could relate. :)

However, my order is more complicated and involves a fair bit of labour.

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #6,715 of 10,312
Hi everyone. This question is for avid HD 800 users. My question is does buying the copper venom occ toxic cable really make at least a 25% upgrade in sound quality as opposed to the original stock cable the 800's come with when paired with a warm tube amp, say the WOO AUDIO WA6E model?? Love to hear people's experience with this matter. I'm in the process of wanting to limit the HD 800's weighty treble and syballus. Much help is needed and I think 1800$ to 2000$ will solve this matter.
Also. Is CABLE PRO's copper cable being a 650$ price tag really all that better than the toxic OCC venom?

Love your help my fellow. Audiophiles.

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #6,716 of 10,312
Hi everyone. This question is for avid HD 800 users. My question is does buying the copper venom occ toxic cable really make at least a 25% upgrade in sound quality as opposed to the original stock cable the 800's come with when paired with a warm tube amp, say the WOO AUDIO WA6E model?? Love to hear people's experience with this matter. I'm in the process of wanting to limit the HD 800's weighty treble and syballus. Much help is needed and I think 1800$ to 2000$ will solve this matter.
Also. Is CABLE PRO's copper cable being a 650$ price tag really all that better than the toxic OCC venom?

I think you are not being realistic in expecting a 25% "upgrade" (what is that anyway, can't be measured when it comes to SQ and everyone's hearing is different) from a cable.  To tame the HD800, you need to carefully pair the amp/DAC to the headphone and then fine tune with cables afterwards. 

That said, the copper venom I can say has made the most difference out of all the cables I purchased.  It is a definite improvement and matches very well with the HD800 maintaining the clarity/resolution and helping with the fatigue.  To me, if there is 1 cable to buy for the HD800, it has to be the copper venom from Frank.

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #6,717 of 10,312

I have the cablepro reverie. I would not conclude that it is better than the copper Venom merely because it costs more. I would just say that they are different.

In any event, Frank's cables are really fantastic value and so should not be judged on price point. :)

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #6,718 of 10,312
Very
I have the cablepro reverie. I would not conclude that it is better than the copper Venom merely because it costs more. I would just say that they are different.

In any event, Frank's cables are really fantastic value and so should not be judged on price point. :)

Thank you for your honesty and I am really thinking about grabbing the Copper venom. How is it different from the reverie in your estimation? I'd love to know, especially since they are wickedly priced differently. I also sent Frank a message with some questions regarding the cable in relation to my headphone set up. Right now I've got a Harman Kardon receiver/ Amp which in my opinion powers the HD 800's magnificently partly because they are not power thirsty only being 300ohms. Then I have an ARCAM irDAC which makes my audio sing and does get rid of some of the furious treble and sibilance because of the DAC's good clean and warm analog signal. My feeling and I asked frank about this where getting that cable (copper venom) help with a smoother sibilance while still keeping the HD's amazing dynamics? I still await his response. :wink:

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #6,719 of 10,312
Very
Thank you for your honesty and I am really thinking about grabbing the Copper venom. How is it different from the reverie in your estimation? I'd love to know, especially since they are wickedly priced differently. I also sent Frank a message with some questions regarding the cable in relation to my headphone set up. Right now I've got a Harman Kardon receiver/ Amp which in my opinion powers the HD 800's magnificently partly because they are not power thirsty only being 300ohms. Then I have an ARCAM irDAC which makes my audio sing and does get rid of some of the furious treble and sibilance because of the DAC's good clean and warm analog signal. My feeling and I asked frank about this where getting that cable (copper venom) help with a smoother sibilance while still keeping the HD's amazing dynamics? I still await his response. :wink:

I have a custom balanced 8wire 22awg dual mono black widow cable (but am already waiting for a venom version of that cable to be built by frank).some people call it the hifimanrookie special..lolz..

.that cable..for the price it costs is a no brainer..until now i didnt come across of any cable capable of delivering of such sweet music for that price....

The Venon that i will get must be out of this world good to beat this, especially paired with a brighter phone like a he500 (which i had for 2 years) code-x (which i own now) or a hd800 it shines!... The ones which have a 8wire BW (whether 'standard' or custommade like mine) know its an excellent cable..punching far above its pricepoint.

About u mentioning 25 % improvement over the standard cable..well that will never happen..no matter how expensive the new cable is.. But that its better...no doubt! U better invest (HUGE!) in ur rig to get that improvement

As sensui also said..many cables are good..u just have to find the right on for ur likings.. Pricewise frank is almost unbeatable with the quality he makes..IMHO ofcourse!!!!!!

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #6,720 of 10,312
I think you are not being realistic in expecting a 25% "upgrade" (what is that anyway, can't be measured when it comes to SQ and everyone's hearing is different) from a cable.  To tame the HD800, you need to carefully pair the amp/DAC to the headphone and then fine tune with cables afterwards. 

That said, the copper venom I can say has made the most difference out of all the cables I purchased.  It is a definite improvement and matches very well with the HD800 maintaining the clarity/resolution and helping with the fatigue.  To me, if there is 1 cable to buy for the HD800, it has to be the copper venom from Frank.

I think what you said is a fair assessment. Buying the right DAC/Headphones to pair with is indeed a trail a error process, but think I have found a real winner with the 800's and the ARCAM. It's definitely a match and now I want to experience and experiment with different cables offered for the 800's. ALso, I do appreciate your honesty of how you feel the Copper Venom has made a difference. I would love to hear more from you in this matter. First of all, how does it differ or maybe surpass the already 8-stage copper wiring of the original (stock) cable that comes with the HD's? Love to hear what you have found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back