Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #4,561 of 10,317
Good problem to have Frank......just shows how amazing the quality of your cables really are and they speak for themselves.  You have a customer for life from me.....just received those fitears silver widow......MAAAAAAAGNIFICIENT.  Will post some pics when I get my DX100 back to do it some justice. 
L3000.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #4,562 of 10,317
Quote:
What's funny about that is that it doesn't matter. Unless you were there at the live concert or the recording session and remember exactly who stood where and from which directions the different sounds hit your ear it's completely irrelevant. It's important for studio engineers and such so that they connect their studio gear the right way. For them it's of course very important!
wink.gif

Actually for some music it really does matter - classical for example because the orchestra is usually set out in a particular way and the whole point of the recording process is to capture that layout as realistically as possible. So when I'm listening to a symphony for example I typically expect the violins to be on the left and cellos on the right etc (as I hear it). That's one of the reasons why providing a realistic sound stage is such a crucial goal for headfi equipment - and all audio actually - when the aim is to capture a group of players performing together.

Sorry to go off topic...

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #4,563 of 10,317
Quote:

Actually for some music it really does matter - classical for example because the orchestra is usually set out in a particular way and the whole point of the recording process is to capture that layout as realistically as possible. So when I'm listening to a symphony for example I typically expect the violins to be on the left and cellos on the right etc (as I hear it). That's one of the reasons why providing a realistic sound stage is such a crucial goal for headfi equipment - and all audio actually - when the aim is to capture a group of players performing together.

Sorry to go off topic...

good point.....

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #4,564 of 10,317
hey guys, i just got a viper. wanna know if it will corrode to give greenish colour as it has a base material of copper.But I'm not sure as won't the silver plating prevent it? If yes, how long will it take? I'm in singapore, pretty humid here. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #4,565 of 10,317
Quote:
hey guys, i just got a viper. wanna know if it will corrode to give greenish colour as it has a base material of copper.But I'm not sure as won't the silver plating prevent it? If yes, how long will it take? I'm in singapore, pretty humid here. 

I don't think that it will. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #4,566 of 10,317
oh ok, cos the dealer here was telling me that it has a chance of oxidising cos of the humidity and will turn green...and i really cannot stand the sight of green oxidation, so if it does, im planing to sell it away. Really wont oxidise? ( hope someone can like affirm, put my worries to rest :) )

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #4,567 of 10,317
Quote:
oh ok, cos the dealer here was telling me that it has a chance of oxidising cos of the humidity and will turn green...and i really cannot stand the sight of green oxidation, so if it does, im planing to sell it away. Really wont oxidise? ( hope someone can like affirm, put my worries to rest :) )

It might, but to be sure you might want to get the White Widow which is SPC Litz I believe which doesn't oxidize. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #4,568 of 10,317

Hey bro, from Singapore here too. None my SPC cables turned green. The silver oxidizes from well, silver to grey but that's it. Heck, my very first copper cable is still shiny!

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com
Aug 29, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #4,569 of 10,317
Hey there! :) this really help alot! May i know how long have you been using your spc and copper cable for?
btw i just receieved mine, which side is right and left? Theres one side with a red dot on the OM connector though

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #4,570 of 10,317
The Viper does has the potential to go green, especially in humid countries such as Singapore when being used as an IEM cable. The sweat and climate does not mix well with the IEM cable. The Poison and litz cables will not have this problem.

For headphone cables, i have had no such reports, as the cable hardly makes any contact with with sweat and such.

After using the Viper, give it a nice wipe with a very slightly damp microfibre cloth, let it dry and then store it back it the bag it comes in with the 2 dessiccant bags that the IEM cables come with. This will help keep the cable dry from the humid climate, when not in use. The cable can be stored like this with the IEM still attached.

On a side note, the Back Widow is now available for IEM cables and headphone cables in a 26AWG version and being a litz cable, should not suffer from greening.

For OM IEM cables, the red would be right and blue dot left. When wearing the cable, the dots should be facing the ceiling, for correct polarity.

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #4,571 of 10,317
Quote:
The Viper does has the potential to go green, especially in humid countries such as Singapore when being used as an IEM cable. The sweat and climate does not mix well with the IEM cable. The Poison and litz cables will not have this problem.

For headphone cables, i have had no such reports, as the cable hardly makes any contact with with sweat and such.

After using the Viper, give it a nice wipe with a very slightly damp microfibre cloth, let it dry and then store it back it the bag it comes in with the 2 dessiccant bags that the IEM cables come with. This will help keep the cable dry from the humid climate, when not in use.

On a side note, the Back Widow is now available for IEM cables and headphone cables in a 26AWG version and being a litz cable, should not suffer from greening.

For OM IEM cables, the red would be right and blue dot left. When wearing the cable, the dots should be facing the ceiling, for correct polarity.

What would be the cost of a BW IEM cable? 

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #4,574 of 10,317
Now I'm satisfied that cables do make a difference, the only remaining audiophile bone of contention for me is bit rates and sampling frequencies. I still cannot tell the difference between 16/44 and 24/192.

BTW, does your Toxic Cable have anything on it to indicate which is L and which is R?

Can't tell them apart (16 vs 24 bit) even with the silver?

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #4,575 of 10,317
Hey guys,

I received (luckily) an already made Silver Poison Cable from Frank earlier this week.

In terms of performance I really was surprised at how much difference to the audio quality. Being it my first custom cable i cant compare it to anything else but it really is a significant improvement over the stock cable with the right audio source.

I only have two issue (which I hope you guys can help me with):
1. The cable coils way to much making it difficult for me to stay mobile comfortably.
2. Because there is no memory wire behind the ears, the cable keeps flopping over my upper ear (seriously annoying).

Do you guys have any fixes for these problems?

Thanks

Ed 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back