TOPPING EHA5 on Apos Audio: Unlock the True Potential of Your Electrostatic Headphones🎧
Apr 13, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #61 of 157
This really opens up the world of electrostats to a lot of new people. I’d been tempted to try the Kaldas RR1 or one of the Hive headphones but never wanted to bite because of the high cost of electrostatic amps. With this anyone can afford to play.

IMO Koss/Massdrop did that with the 95X. I got my Koss electrostats for $350 total. They sound great and measure better then the Stax amps the only issue is the Koss box is like 9 watts max and the Stax amps are between 15-30 watts depending on the model.

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #62 of 157
IMO Koss/Massdrop did that with the 95X. I got my Koss electrostats for $350 total. They sound great and measure better then the Stax amps the only issue is the Koss box is like 9 watts max and the Stax amps are between 15-30 watts depending on the model.
The 95X is a great value, and I picked one up myself.

The biggest issue with it though is the proprietary connection for the amp, so you can’t try out other electrostatic headphones with the Koss amp.

Since everyone else seems to have adopted the Stax style plug this unit would give me people a lot more freedom in which headphone they choose, and allow easier comparisons.

Apr 15, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #65 of 157
Ordered since Tuesday and it hasn’t shipped yet. Hope it gets ship out next week.

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #67 of 157
Yep, I ordered on announcement day. Hoping soon. Eager to hear this thing.
I am curious about this offering and don’t expect a miracle. Still I am curious how this will measure up to the SRM-D50 & 353X.

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #68 of 157
Hope it is similar to A90D performances, if so, L700 and EHA5 will be the cleanest, cheapest and highest rated Harman Curve electrostatic items available.

finger cross for good news :)

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #69 of 157
Full review is out!! https://post.smzdm.com/p/a90q52r0/

I translate only the sound if you guys lazy to do it yourself

"Next, let’s talk about the sound. The matching turntable is Haybe RS8, which is exported to Tonic D90se decoding, and then exported to EHA5 in balance. The combined headphones are HIFIMAN JADE2 and STAX SR-407. Both are star models in static headphones. SR-407 is more classic than it needs to be said. It has now been discontinued. SR-407, which can be heard 10 years ago, is definitely rich or expensive; JADE2 as Shangri-La and HE1000 technology The integrated technology is a price-friendly static dream.

Driven by EHA5, although the overall style of the two is different, it still shows a lot of commonalities, such as: the rich details of true and fibrous appearances come, and because of the soft style and the soft and gentle high frequency adjustment, even if the amount of information is quite large, there is no feeling of stimulation at all,There is no flaw or abrupt feeling. The distortion is extremely low, without any extra noise and noise, both of which respond quickly and have strong performance.

If you use pictures to make an analogy, it is that the electrostatic headphones have a higher resolution than the motorized headphones we often hear. The resolution is clearer (, and the sharp marks are less. ) The line is weaker, less irritating, more auditable, and more natural (, the color is more saturated )Human voice is more charm >. Both are very broad and magnificent, and the horizontal is similar to the endless, and the space is quite good. As for all the say that electrostatic headphones eat thrust, I don’t feel much, because there are fewer electrostatic ears. If EHA5 obviously cannot push the electrostatic headphones, that’s a joke, haha.

After talking about common ground, in accordance with the principle of not being afraid of big things, I will forcefully compare the difference between SR-407 and JADE2 here.

SR-407, driven by EHA5, basically represents the tone style of the older generation of electrostatic headphones, that is, in order to achieve a better balance, in order to make up for the short board with low frequency and dive of the electrostatic headphones, STAX has thought of many methods, including but not limited to: increase the roll-out area of low frequency;Reduce the overall sound color and reduce the penetration; and increase the thickness of the low frequency. Through the above three adjustments, the disk of SR-407 is solid and stable, and it can create a fairly good atmosphere. It should be said that the adjustment of STAX was successful, because the strengthening of low frequencies did not affect sweet voice and gorgeous high frequencies.

The human voice of SR-407 is relatively close, the knot is large and clear, the contour lines are moderate, the lips and teeth are more obvious, and the human voice has a clear sweet taste. It is a particularly natural, smooth, and pleasant adjustment. The female voice effect is better than the male voice, especially when listening to the Hong Kong platform's lyric slow song, the immersion feeling is quite good, self-sufficient, and full of rhythm.

Switching to JADE2, one ear feeling, the resolution has been upgraded by at least 1-2 levels. The fog that was originally enveloped over SR-407 is gone, and it means a little draining. It's quite transparent and clean. The overall hearing is compared with SR-407, which has a sense of sight: the line sense is more tough, the strength is stronger, and the performance is much better. Specifically, although JADE2's low frequency feeling is not as good as SR-407, the sense of location and hierarchy is better, the depth and separation are better, and the dive is also the better one, and it is more cohesive and flexible. , Comfortable and auditable.

The density of the medium and high frequencies is extremely high, the line is stronger, and the voice is clearer and more sweet on the basis of SR-407. The key is that there is no tooth sound, the mellow is full, and the delicate and pleasant. If you don’t listen to the song of the high frequency detail explosion, you will hardly feel the stimulation. And if it’s a fast song +electrodes+ The second move, it will still be a bit tired after listening for a long time. Therefore, in my opinion, the most suitable for electrostatic headphones is the lyric slow song of the main hitter, or the small-scale string music, which can best take advantage of the vocal, high frequency and dynamic advantages of electrostatic headphones.

So far, I think it's time to answer the two questions at the beginning. In general, EHA5 is a self-branded electrostatic ear with a selling price of only 2,499 yuan. The thrust reserve is relatively affluent. The effects of high-gain drive SR-407 and JADE2 are quite good. The sound field is very open. There is no sorrow at all. At the same time, EHA5 continued the tuning idea of topical science HiFi. The whole is very clean and very correct. There is no obvious tuning tendency in itself. Everything is given to the headphones. At the same time, the underlying noise control is as good as ever, and the quietness is quite good. Facts have proved that the topogs are not enlarged, and they have achieved the EHA5 R&D goal, that is, the quality of the electrostatic ears of the official gear is not bad or even better, and at the same time compress the price toExtreme,Greatly lower the threshold of the static system, so that every fever who loves music can afford static headphones."

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #71 of 157
yeah me to LOL!

I think what I got from it is, it is a neutral, transparent amp that does not color the sound? With low noise and is up to your headphones?

Highlights" Very clean, open, not narrow? Control noise floor?

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #72 of 157
yeah me to LOL!

I think what I got from it is, it is a neutral, transparent amp that does not color the sound? With low noise and is up to your headphones?

Highlights" Very clean, open, not narrow? Control noise floor?
Sounds like the classic colorless topping tuning.

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #73 of 157
So very clean transients but not very dynamic… got it.

That sounds very much like your typical Topping which in my books is “eh”, but looks good on paper.

Nevertheless, blind bought this last week and will check it out.

Will also have an amp-builder friend check out the internals to understand what the topology is like.

Looking forward to it!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 16, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #75 of 157
Full review is out!! https://post.smzdm.com/p/a90q52r0/

I translate only the sound if you guys lazy to do it yourself

"Next, let’s talk about the sound. The matching turntable is Haybe RS8, which is exported to Tonic D90se decoding, and then exported to EHA5 in balance. The combined headphones are HIFIMAN JADE2 and STAX SR-407. Both are star models in static headphones. SR-407 is more classic than it needs to be said. It has now been discontinued. SR-407, which can be heard 10 years ago, is definitely rich or expensive; JADE2 as Shangri-La and HE1000 technology The integrated technology is a price-friendly static dream.

Driven by EHA5, although the overall style of the two is different, it still shows a lot of commonalities, such as: the rich details of true and fibrous appearances come, and because of the soft style and the soft and gentle high frequency adjustment, even if the amount of information is quite large, there is no feeling of stimulation at all,There is no flaw or abrupt feeling. The distortion is extremely low, without any extra noise and noise, both of which respond quickly and have strong performance.

If you use pictures to make an analogy, it is that the electrostatic headphones have a higher resolution than the motorized headphones we often hear. The resolution is clearer (, and the sharp marks are less. ) The line is weaker, less irritating, more auditable, and more natural (, the color is more saturated )Human voice is more charm >. Both are very broad and magnificent, and the horizontal is similar to the endless, and the space is quite good. As for all the say that electrostatic headphones eat thrust, I don’t feel much, because there are fewer electrostatic ears. If EHA5 obviously cannot push the electrostatic headphones, that’s a joke, haha.

After talking about common ground, in accordance with the principle of not being afraid of big things, I will forcefully compare the difference between SR-407 and JADE2 here.

SR-407, driven by EHA5, basically represents the tone style of the older generation of electrostatic headphones, that is, in order to achieve a better balance, in order to make up for the short board with low frequency and dive of the electrostatic headphones, STAX has thought of many methods, including but not limited to: increase the roll-out area of low frequency;Reduce the overall sound color and reduce the penetration; and increase the thickness of the low frequency. Through the above three adjustments, the disk of SR-407 is solid and stable, and it can create a fairly good atmosphere. It should be said that the adjustment of STAX was successful, because the strengthening of low frequencies did not affect sweet voice and gorgeous high frequencies.

The human voice of SR-407 is relatively close, the knot is large and clear, the contour lines are moderate, the lips and teeth are more obvious, and the human voice has a clear sweet taste. It is a particularly natural, smooth, and pleasant adjustment. The female voice effect is better than the male voice, especially when listening to the Hong Kong platform's lyric slow song, the immersion feeling is quite good, self-sufficient, and full of rhythm.

Switching to JADE2, one ear feeling, the resolution has been upgraded by at least 1-2 levels. The fog that was originally enveloped over SR-407 is gone, and it means a little draining. It's quite transparent and clean. The overall hearing is compared with SR-407, which has a sense of sight: the line sense is more tough, the strength is stronger, and the performance is much better. Specifically, although JADE2's low frequency feeling is not as good as SR-407, the sense of location and hierarchy is better, the depth and separation are better, and the dive is also the better one, and it is more cohesive and flexible. , Comfortable and auditable.

The density of the medium and high frequencies is extremely high, the line is stronger, and the voice is clearer and more sweet on the basis of SR-407. The key is that there is no tooth sound, the mellow is full, and the delicate and pleasant. If you don’t listen to the song of the high frequency detail explosion, you will hardly feel the stimulation. And if it’s a fast song +electrodes+ The second move, it will still be a bit tired after listening for a long time. Therefore, in my opinion, the most suitable for electrostatic headphones is the lyric slow song of the main hitter, or the small-scale string music, which can best take advantage of the vocal, high frequency and dynamic advantages of electrostatic headphones.

So far, I think it's time to answer the two questions at the beginning. In general, EHA5 is a self-branded electrostatic ear with a selling price of only 2,499 yuan. The thrust reserve is relatively affluent. The effects of high-gain drive SR-407 and JADE2 are quite good. The sound field is very open. There is no sorrow at all. At the same time, EHA5 continued the tuning idea of topical science HiFi. The whole is very clean and very correct. There is no obvious tuning tendency in itself. Everything is given to the headphones. At the same time, the underlying noise control is as good as ever, and the quietness is quite good. Facts have proved that the topogs are not enlarged, and they have achieved the EHA5 R&D goal, that is, the quality of the electrostatic ears of the official gear is not bad or even better, and at the same time compress the price toExtreme,Greatly lower the threshold of the static system, so that every fever who loves music can afford static headphones."

"If you want to experience the unique sense of hearing of the electrostatic system and value the price/performance ratio, just buy it directly, and you will not be cheated at all".

"In a word, I personally think that EHA5 is an electrostatic prince with exquisite workmanship, beautiful price, and comprehensive power. It is suitable for every friend who is trying the electrostatic headphone system for the first time. It is very worth recommending."

So far so good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back