TOPPING EHA5 on Apos Audio: Unlock the True Potential of Your Electrostatic Headphones🎧
Apr 17, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #76 of 153
Just got mine today! Ordered from Apos not long after it was listed for sale. It was shipped directly from China.

BUILD:
The sheet metal is pretty thick which is great. Stax SRM-400S metal on the top/side is quite thin in comparison. Jade II amp is like a tank ... which seems excessive for a headphone amp. The size of the EHA5 is ALMOST perfect. It's a bit too tall to fit in a standard 2U rack space, and because of the wider front plate: it's a bit too wide for standard half-rack width. For example: on a standard 19" studio rack shelf: I can sort of fit a Motu MK5 (half-rack-width) next to it - as long as I slide the Motu in from behind but it's a really tight squeeze. I'd suggest for future releases that Topping (and all manufacturers) try to keep in mind standard rack widths & heights. That way consumers can easily stack gear on top of eachother or side by side in standard racks. The SRM-400S/most stax amps are way too long: Even 8 channel speaker amps for actual movie theatres aren't as deep! The SRM-252S is probably 1/5th the volume of even the Topping so that's obviously the most portable/smallest. I guess you do get TWO headphone outputs from the Jade II/Stax SRM-400S amps - which are essentially 2x the size of the EHA5. But how many people in the world are actually going to buy two ES headphones to run from their amp to listen with a friend at the same exact volume as you can't control the 2nd headphone volume separately? So yeah, the dual outputs seems pointless for 99% of users.
The dual TRS/XLR input is nice: the only ES amp I've owned that had that feature. The volume knob is better than the Topping L50 knob. It's similar to the quality of the SRM-400S knob. I don't notice really any difference in volume from left/right at low volumes which is good. (SRM-252S at low volumes is a bit unequal) Jade II knob was the best though as it had indented positions for specific volume levels and felt great.

As far as heat: I've had it on a few hours now and it's not really warm at all. My Motu MK5 is definitely much warmer.

SOUND:
As far as volume: it drives my Stax L300's louder than I'd ever need them to be. I had Jade II headphones before and they took a similar amount of power: so you should be fine with Jade II's also.
I'm not sure if these can take professional level level DAC's (MOTU/LYNX/RME- that pump out over 8V instead of 4V) - If anyone knows for sure: it would be good to know!
I did output full levels from Motu MK5 (8V+) and at the LOW setting on the Topping: it sounded pretty clear without distortion ... but I'd never actually listen that loud.

As far as sound quality: As far as I can remember it sounds as good as the large SRM-400S/Jade II amps I've owned before. I sold my 400S when I saw rumors of this coming out not too long ago - Admittedly I sold the 400S as I was annoyed that I had to have my entire rack stick out from the wall due to how long it was. (Figured It would sound the same/similar - and it seems to)
I do know the SRM-252S didn't have as much bass as the 400S/Jade II amp and was a bit more fatiguing or possibly sibilance/distortion in the high end that could be annoying at loud levels. As far as I can tell - I don't notice any fatigue or distortion or lack of bass the SRM-252S had at louder volumes with the EHA5. Admittedly, the SRM-252S wasn't terrible: I still liked the sound of the 252S + L300 more than all my Planars/Dynamics/IEM's + Topping L50.

RANDOM HEADPHONE COMPARISON: (Some I don't have anymore, but I owned all and compared side by side)
- ALL WITH EQ!!!
I used to mix music - so I generally like things that are flat which may not be your preference. (I don't really like NS-10s - Neumann speakers I do like)

AKG K371 VS Aeon Closed X: Aeon Closed X: more detailed and more bass, but might trust the AKG's more for mixing for some reason. I sold the Aeon X's keeping the AKG's as for me they were more comfortable for what I used them for and the Sundaras/all ESL's sound better than both.
Truthear X Crinacle Zero IEM: Sound good for IEM's but I prefer all over-ear headphones best.
Sundara: Sound great. I prefer the new Resolve B&K 5128 EQ with added bass though over Harman EQ. They sound much better than Aeon X closed for mixing.
Sundara VS Jade II/L300: The electrostatics sound better. The Bass sounds better too on ES's over the Sundara or Aeon Closed X. The high end definitely sounds clearer on the ES's and I don't think it's due to a 'lack of bass' aka I EQ it in and sometimes even more :p I can't ever seem to EQ the same sound on any Planars to be as clear as the ES's in the high-end though. It's not a night and day difference though - they all sound good. I still suggest Sundara's to all my friends though as for the money you can't go bad.
SUNDARA VS JADE II: Jade II is like a super Sundara.
JADE II vs STAX L300. It's a tossup: With EQ they both sound great. The Jade II's are definitely more comfortable as the rounded shape is better than a rectangle shape that makes it difficult to turn your head, but the cable I was worried about accidentally breaking on the Jades. I think the Stax build would last longer also - considering there's still Lambdas from decades ago that still work. I guess for me they were close enough I just kept the Stax L300's figuring they cost half as much. If they were both the same price or maybe just $100 more, I might go for the Jades for the comfort though.
Raal SR1A vs Stax/Jade II: Raals are the most comfortable as nothing is really on your ears. They only get so loud though before sounding compressed whereas the Jades and Stax just get louder and louder. I'd trust mixing on the ES's more as the low end is more reliable, and simply just getting the exact same angle on the Raals for each ear every time you listen is always another thing that might throw off the EQ you've been using for them.

---
Even though the Sundara/L300/AKG K371/Truthear Zero/Jade II all have pretty consistently high Harman Pref. Score rankings and with EQ should all be quite flat: they definitely don't all sound the same. Overall I prefer ES's consistently the most. The SR1A ribbon I like too (but not their closed-back!)
I have heard Audeze CRBN at a Canjam and thought they sounded great - also the old Dan Clark ES's - I preferred over all of their planar models. I wouldn't mind trying the new Dan Clark Corina headphones also.

Hopefully more companies start making some reasonably priced ES headphones in the future. For example Stax has some crazy expensive headphones, but also the L300's which measure quite flat and are awesome. If some other companies made some $300-800 ES headphones - that would be great even if they still had a 'high-end model' A closed-back ES headphone would be nice too - I've lived in apartments where the Raal SR1A and Jades/Stax headphones could be heard in the next apartment - so I still had to listen to the closed back K371's most of the time anyways which was unfortunate.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #77 of 153
Just got mine today! Ordered from Apos not long after it was listed for sale. It was shipped directly from China.

BUILD:
The sheet metal is pretty thick which is great. Stax SRM-400S metal on the top/side is quite thin in comparison. Jade II amp is like a tank ... which seems excessive for a headphone amp. The size of the EHA5 is ALMOST perfect. It's a bit too tall to fit in a standard 2U rack space, and because of the wider front plate: it's a bit too wide for standard half-rack width. For example: on a standard 19" studio rack shelf: I can sort of fit a Motu MK5 (half-rack-width) next to it - as long as I slide the Motu in from behind but it's a really tight squeeze. I'd suggest for future releases that Topping (and all manufacturers) try to keep in mind standard rack widths & heights. That way consumers can easily stack gear on top of eachother or side by side in standard racks. The SRM-400S/most stax amps are way too long: Even 8 channel speaker amps for actual movie theatres aren't as deep! The SRM-252S is probably 1/5th the volume of even the Topping so that's obviously the most portable/smallest. I guess you do get TWO headphone outputs from the Jade II/Stax SRM-400S amps - which are essentially 2x the size of the EHA5. But how many people in the world are actually going to buy two ES headphones to run from their amp to listen with a friend at the same exact volume as you can't control the 2nd headphone volume separately? So yeah, the dual outputs seems pointless for 99% of users.
The dual TRS/XLR input is nice: the only ES amp I've owned that had that feature. The volume knob is better than the Topping L50 knob. It's similar to the quality of the SRM-400S knob. I don't notice really any difference in volume from left/right at low volumes which is good. (SRM-252S at low volumes is a bit unequal) Jade II knob was the best though as it had indented positions for specific volume levels and felt great.

As far as heat: I've had it on a few hours now and it's not really warm at all. My Motu MK5 is definitely much warmer.

SOUND:
As far as volume: it drives my Stax L300's louder than I'd ever need them to be. I had Jade II headphones before and they took a similar amount of power: so you should be fine with Jade II's also.
I'm not sure if these can take professional level level DAC's (MOTU/LYNX/RME- that pump out over 8V instead of 4V) - If anyone knows for sure: it would be good to know!
I did output full levels from Motu MK5 (8V+) and at the LOW setting on the Topping: it sounded pretty clear without distortion ... but I'd never actually listen that loud.

As far as sound quality: As far as I can remember it sounds as good as the large SRM-400S/Jade II amps I've owned before. I sold my 400S when I saw rumors of this coming out not too long ago - Admittedly I sold the 400S as I was annoyed that I had to have my entire rack stick out from the wall due to how long it was. (Figured It would sound the same/similar - and it seems to)
I do know the SRM-252S didn't have as much bass as the 400S/Jade II amp and was a bit more fatiguing or possibly sibilance/distortion in the high end that could be annoying at loud levels. As far as I can tell - I don't notice any fatigue or distortion or lack of bass the SRM-252S had at louder volumes with the EHA5. Admittedly, the SRM-252S wasn't terrible: I still liked the sound of the 252S + L300 more than all my Planars/Dynamics/IEM's + Topping L50.

RANDOM HEADPHONE COMPARISON: (Some I don't have anymore, but I owned all and compared side by side)
- ALL WITH EQ!!!
I used to mix music - so I generally like things that are flat which may not be your preference. (I don't really like NS-10s - Neumann speakers I do like)

AKG K371 VS Aeon Closed X: Aeon Closed X: more detailed and more bass, but might trust the AKG's more for mixing for some reason. I sold the Aeon X's keeping the AKG's as for me they were more comfortable for what I used them for and the Sundaras/all ESL's sound better than both.
Truthear X Crinacle Zero IEM: Sound good for IEM's but I prefer all over-ear headphones best.
Sundara: Sound great. I prefer the new Resolve B&K 5128 EQ with added bass though over Harman EQ. They sound much better than Aeon X closed for mixing.
Sundara VS Jade II/L300: The electrostatics sound better. The Bass sounds better too on ES's over the Sundara or Aeon Closed X. The high end definitely sounds clearer on the ES's and I don't think it's due to a 'lack of bass' aka I EQ it in and sometimes even more :p I can't ever seem to EQ the same sound on any Planars to be as clear as the ES's in the high-end though. It's not a night and day difference though - they all sound good. I still suggest Sundara's to all my friends though as for the money you can't go bad.
JADE II vs STAX L300. It's a tossup: With EQ they both sound great. The Jade II's are definitely more comfortable as the rounded shape is better than a rectangle shape that makes it difficult to turn your head, but the cable I was worried about accidentally breaking on the Jades. I think the Stax build would last longer also - considering there's still Lambdas from decades ago that still work. I guess for me they were close enough I just kept the Stax L300's figuring they cost half as much. If they were both the same price or maybe just $100 more, I might go for the Jades for the comfort though.
Raal SR1A vs Stax/Jade II: Raals are the most comfortable as nothing is really on your ears. They only get so loud though before sounding compressed whereas the Jades and Stax just get louder and louder. I'd trust mixing on the ES's more as the low end is more reliable, and simply just getting the exact same angle on the Raals for each ear every time you listen is always another thing that might throw off the EQ you've been using for them.

---
Even though the Sundara/L300/AKG K371/Truthear Zero/Jade II all have pretty consistently high Harman Pref. Score rankings and with EQ should all be quite flat: they definitely don't all sound the same. Overall I prefer ES's consistently the most. The SR1A ribbon I like too (but not their closed-back!)
I have heard Audeze CRBN at a Canjam and thought they sounded great - also the old Dan Clark ES's - I preferred over all of their planar models. I wouldn't mind trying the new Dan Clark Corina headphones also.

Hopefully more companies start making some reasonably priced ES headphones in the future. For example Stax has some crazy expensive headphones, but also the L300's which measure quite flat and are awesome. If some other companies made some $300-800 ES headphones - that would be great even if they still had a 'high-end model' A closed-back ES headphone would be nice too - I've lived in apartments where the Raal SR1A and Jades/Stax headphones could be heard in the next apartment - so I still had to listen to the closed back K371's most of the time anyways which was unfortunate.
I placed order on last Tuesday, when did u place yours? I have not received any tracking from Apos.

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #79 of 153
Mine arrived today as well. Has not (yet) destroyed my headphones. :)

Overall, clean sounding and decent power. This won't be the next Blue Hawaii or a Carbon, but at $400 I'm impressed. I know it's not saying much, but at $500, a Topping D10B DAC + the EHA5 are better than the $1260 Stax D50 in every way. More power, less harsh/bright, less clipping. This is a very preliminary impression, but I'd put it roughly on par with some of the Stax amps I've heard in the past -- 353X, 717/727, etc.

And it runs very cool as well, which is a big plus for me.

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #80 of 153
Well now, that's more than a couple of owners reporting that they haven't seen any smoke (yet)...this is positive!

Having read some comments on other fora it would appear that this might disappoint some who have been expecting the worst.
I must admit that I too was not exactly optimistic but build is certainly better than expected and it seems to perform.

Awaiting further feedback whilst wondering if I can make place next to my 353X...

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #81 of 153
I have received mine and have used it for about 11hours by now.
The amps I have are Stax SRM-500T(Tube) and SRM-727A(TR), so I compared EHA5 mostly to 727A.
Headphones I used were STAX SR-507 and SR-009, and I used Gustard X16 DAC and Fiio M11 Plus LTD LO function for source.

Pros: -Nice build quality with attractive looks, since STAX amps you can get are mostly silver and very long
-XLR connection with pass-through function, which is very convenient to access non-electrostatic amps
-Very low noise level, which makes EHA5 (kinda) distinguishable from STAX amps I have
-It doensn't get very hot and stays much cooler compared to STAX amps

Cons: -Small pop noise on the left side when I turn it off (Not so sure how others feel, maybe it's problem for mine only)
-Somewhat lame volume knob, since I can feel the small gap between the outer shell and volume switch inside when I turn it slightly.
-Safety issues, which most of us are very concerned about:sob:

In terms of sound, personally, it was very hard for me to catch out audible differences between EHA5 and 727.
-727 is a bit more harsh on highs compared to EHA5 in my personal impression, emphasizing the "airy-feeling" for STAX headphones.
-Also, I feel that EHA5 has lower noise level which provides more silent background and gives more clear impressions with more distinguishable bass.
-However, these characteristics may feel different to every users, and I would probably have hard time distinguishing the two if I was blind-tested:L3000:

Personally, I think it will be a very good choice for estat begginers, since it is very well priced compared to other amps offered in market.
Entry- level STAX 252S amp lacks both in function and power, with only RCA inputs availabe and sends out loud pop noise when it is shut down.
The next step for STAX TR amp is 400s, but price starts at over $1,000 and there is a big gap between 252s and 400s.
Brands other than STAX are still availble, but you guys know how expensive they are even from entry level, and goes up real high.....

With these things in mind, I concluded that Topping has built a very nice electrostatic headphone amplifier at a reasonable price ,with good functions.
Seeing that it drives 009 very well like 727, I personally can recommend the EHA5 as long as you are not too concerned about safety issues.
Even former-flagship 727 doesn't have pass-through function, which makes it very inconvenient to use other amplifier for planar or dynamic headphones.
About safety issues, I'll have to keep an eye on that for sure, but headphones or amp didn't have malfunctions for today's use.
However, for users who already have a decent amp, I am not so sure if you would be satisfied with EHA5, unless you feel lack of power.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #82 of 153
I usually unplug my headphones before turning off/on the A90D. I wonder if it'll be safe to do this with EHA5....

This is great news so far though...keep the impressions coming! It's a good time to get back into estats. :jecklinsmile:

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #83 of 153
Same level as the 717 and is equal if not better than 727 is a win win.

If this is the case, its about a $4000 item for $400.

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #84 of 153
Same level as the 717 and is equal if not better than 727 is a win win.

If this is the case, its about a $4000 item for $400.
The 717 is considerably better sounding to my ears compared to the 727 stock. Mine is still no where to be found.

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #85 of 153
717 is considerably better sounding
Totally agree.

Legendary 717 is technically one of my favorite amplifiers ever made. I like it more than BHSE, Carbon and varieties of T2 models. All these Uber expensive estat amps are unnecessary once I understood and own the 717.

Controversial, 😜 no one should ever pay more than $2000 for a estat amp 🙄

Apr 18, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #86 of 153

BUILD:

SOUND:

- ALL WITH EQ!!!

---

There is one closed back option that may or may not work for you. Consider the Stax SR 003 with the CES-A1. Even without the CES-A1, I doubt anyone sitting across from you will barely hear them. The big downside is not all people like iem phones.

Apr 18, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #87 of 153
Yeah, not a fan of IEM's. I guess there were Stax 4070 closed-backs ... but they are now $4k on ebay! I'm not in that apartment with super-thin walls anymore luckily! But new closed-backs Electrostatics would be nice. I could see myself getting rid of all normal headphones and only having electrostatics though if that happened.

EHA5 Update:
I do notice an annoying sound like a tiny high-pitched fan in the Topping EHA5 wall-wart power supply though when power is going into it but the EHA5 is turned off. (coil whine?) When I turn the power switch on the EHA5: the noise goes away. If the wall-wart is plugged into power but not into the EHA5 it makes no noise.
I can hear it about 4 feet away (when the wall wart is at the back bottom of my rack behind lots of other gear)
I have a computer not far away with pretty quiet fans but it's still a RTX4080 so not even those fans are loud enough to completely block it out.
*I did test without any XLR connections/connection to sound card/etc to make sure and with/without headphones plugged in.

Not sure if that's how they all sound or if I just got a sort of crappy power supply. At least it's not the actual EHA5: just the power supply. (And I'm glad it's only there when you're not using it) But I feel like I need to disconnect power from the wall wart every time I'm not using it though. If anyone else has this problem let me know - or if theirs doesn't have this problem: I'll know it's just a bad power supply hopefully. It's a pretty lightweight cheap looking power supply compared to the Topping L50 wall wart which is larger/much heavier and makes no noise whatsoever.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #88 of 153
Yeah, not a fan of IEM's. I guess there were Stax 4070 closed-backs ... but they are now $4k on ebay! I'm not in that apartment with super-thin walls anymore luckily! But new closed-backs Electrostatics would be nice. I could see myself getting rid of all normal headphones and only having electrostatics though if that happened.

EHA5 Update:
I do notice an annoying sound like a tiny high-pitched fan in the Topping EHA5 wall-wart power supply though when power is going into it but the EHA5 is turned off. (coil whine?) When I turn the power switch on the EHA5: the noise goes away. If the wall-wart is plugged into power but not into the EHA5 it makes no noise.
I can hear it about 4 feet away (when the wall wart is at the back bottom of my rack behind lots of other gear)
I have a computer not far away with pretty quiet fans but it's still a RTX4080 so not even those fans are loud enough to completely block it out.
*I did test without any XLR connections/connection to sound card/etc to make sure and with/without headphones plugged in.

Not sure if that's how they all sound or if I just got a sort of crappy power supply. At least it's not the actual EHA5: just the power supply. (And I'm glad it's only there when you're not using it) But I feel like I need to disconnect power from the wall wart every time I'm not using it though. If anyone else has this problem let me know - or if theirs doesn't have this problem: I'll know it's just a bad power supply hopefully. It's a pretty lightweight cheap looking power supply compared to the Topping L50 wall wart which is larger/much heavier and makes no noise whatsoever.
I've had that wall wart buzz on the included power brick of my Topping A50s. Same conditions: if the A50s was connected but not on, the power brick produced that horrible buzz, but not when the amp was on. I haven't noticed that buzz after I started using the P50 for my A/D50s stack, so I think it's just a poorly built power brick.

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #89 of 153
In case you haven't seen it, Spritzer has examined the amp and absolutely loved the design and everything about the amp!

Just kidding, he absolutely tore it apart in every way imaginable. It looks like Topping joins the ranks of Woo, Viva, Rudistor, Ray Samuels, Hifiman, Linear Tube Audio, most Stax amps, Wells Audio, Bottlehead, and numerous others in the electrostatic reject bin.

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #90 of 153
In case you haven't seen it, Spritzer has examined the amp and absolutely loved the design and everything about the amp!

Just kidding, he absolutely tore it apart in every way imaginable. It looks like Topping joins the ranks of Woo, Viva, Rudistor, Ray Samuels, Hifiman, Linear Tube Audio, most Stax amps, Wells Audio, Bottlehead, and numerous others in the electrostatic reject bin.
Where is his breakdown on the amp? Is it on head-fi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back