TOPPING EHA5 on Apos Audio: Unlock the True Potential of Your Electrostatic Headphones🎧
Apr 12, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #50 of 153
Apr 12, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #51 of 153
People think that the power supply output is directly used for amplification, but often it is not. For example, the ADI-2 has an additional stage (flyback converter). Which is also why you can use a range of voltage levels (11V-15V) as power supply. For such devices, "upgraded" power supply is meaningless.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #52 of 153
Over on Head-Case, a user (@HifiXMen ?) messaged Topping about the internal topology of the EHA5, and the response was that it's essentially an A90D feeding a step-up transformer. I'm not well-versed in the details of electrostatic amp topologies, but the conversation over there suggests that the EHA5 uses a different overall amp design from the Koss amp. Spritzer has the amp on order; I eagerly await his teardown.

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #53 of 153
Over on Head-Case, a user (@HifiXMen ?) messaged Topping about the internal topology of the EHA5, and the response was that it's essentially an A90D feeding a step-up transformer. I'm not well-versed in the details of electrostatic amp topologies, but the conversation over there suggests that the EHA5 uses a different overall amp design from the Koss amp. Spritzer has the amp on order; I eagerly await his teardown.
Where do I need to follow to read spritzers impressions

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #55 of 153
I honestly expected Schiit to be the first to come out with an electrostatic amp that would break the price/performance barrier, but Topping would have been a close second guess.

This really opens up the world of electrostats to a lot of new people. I’d been tempted to try the Kaldas RR1 or one of the Hive headphones but never wanted to bite because of the high cost of electrostatic amps. With this anyone can afford to play.

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #57 of 153
I honestly expected Schiit to be the first to come out with an electrostatic amp that would break the price/performance barrier
Yet to be seen if it actually is good or not. However, it is more affordable than the Woo WEE, that's been out since 2010.

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #58 of 153
Yet to be seen if it actually is good or not. However, it is more affordable than the Woo WEE, that's been out since 2010.
And the Woo Wee needs another amp on top.

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #59 of 153
It doesn't matter for me what Spitzer says ,..

I am interested in honest Opinions and Reports HERE on the forum on TOPPING EHA5 .
Audiophile Greetings , NOMOS :beerchug:

And there's no one better equipped to deliver honest advice on this amp than Birgir.

I have purchased every piece of my electrostat headphones and electrostat speakers set up after discussion with him and he is rarely if ever incorrect.

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #60 of 153
this is big. i have stax but only the little energizer with rca inputs srm-225 i think. i've been wanting a reasonably price energizer with balanced inputs. This is my next purchase after my wallet recovers from my pc build. Can't wait. Thank you topping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back