Topping E70 Velvet DAC Review, Measurements and Comparisons
Jan 7, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #16 of 114
Had a love hate relationship with the cma400i that uses AK4490 it sounded good overall as a DAC, but when changed out to the current ESS offerings it sounded grainy and hard on the ears.

Same with XD05 Plus used as DAC, this use the AK4493eq. It sounds darker and less technical than E70.

What may be the biggest change while still being small is that the soundstage gets pushed further out.

All my testing has been done with A90D and Echo as amps.

I bet that AKM implementation by Topping is better than questyle and xduoo, they usually get better spec data.

Jan 7, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #17 of 114
the bass is more warm and liquidy. you're swimming in the bass rather than having it blasted at you.

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #18 of 114
Here is an early goody that I thought I might drop off. This is the J-test results from the E70 ESS version. FFT noise floor reaches down to -160db. Pretty amazing. There is some broadening at the base from random low frequency jitter, but, it is possibly from my ADC paired with the Spectrum Analyzer software (RME ADI-2 PRO), which is a highly regarded AD/DA itself, and deservedly so. Rather than saying anything negative about the RME, it says something positive about the engineering choices made by Topping.

It is getting quite late on the East Coast, so I will begin testing on the AKM Velvet Edition in earnest tomorrow. I will post the same J-test comparison, curious as to the results, since AKM and ESS use different jitter management strategies.
Topping E70 JTEST 2444 fft.png

Might these differing jitter management strategies be some interest if one of my primary PCM input streams is via optical?

Looking forward to your comparison!

Jan 19, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #19 of 114
How is the testing coming along with the AKM version? I'm still happy with my none AKM edition but still I wonder.

Jan 19, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #20 of 114
How is the testing coming along with the AKM version? I'm still happy with my none AKM edition but still I wonder.

I keep checking back on @MLGrado ’s progress as well. Regarding my previous ask, I believe I’m quite satisfied with reviews for the L70 (ESS) and its jitter management, but I can afford the L70V, and my purchase won’t be until spring anyway…

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 114
Just hooping on this thread, I'm very incline to see what you guys think on the amp

Jan 26, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #23 of 114
The L70 headphone amp?
Sorry, I was thinking of an amp, but i mean DAC!

Honestly I probably going to buy this and pair it with the gustard h16

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #25 of 114
Jan 30, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #27 of 114
Nice mate, going to read you review on the airplane.
Cheers

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #28 of 114
Might these differing jitter management strategies be some interest if one of my primary PCM input streams is via optical?

Looking forward to your comparison!
yes. I will do a J-TEST via optical and see what we get.

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #29 of 114
Updates are in the second post. Thanks for your patience as I am digging deep in the comparison.

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #30 of 114
Updates are in the second post. Thanks for your patience as I am digging deep in the comparison.

Thanks for getting dirty! I’d like to believe the AK DAC will be worth the extra $100. Another reviewer is reporting a significant increase in detail/clarity for the “Velvet”, but any report of any significant difference between DACs of this calibre makes me wary.

Looking forward!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back