Topping D50
Aug 22, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #1,052 of 1,054
I found no difference between an iFi power supply and an apple iPad power supply when I used them with my D50. Both are switching power supplies in that they use a power transistor to create a high frequency voltage which is then stepped down to produce the DC voltage required (e.g. 5V) and then that is smoothed out. It's this smoothing (and the accuracy of the high frequency voltage) that is done better in the commercial switching power supplies. Relative to an LPS, they are quite compact and efficient (and cheap).

A linear power supply is a big ugly box that supplies a nice, clean DC output voltage, but it operates very inefficiently, so it generates a large amount of wasted heat. LPS's are usually 'cleaner' than switching power supplies for their DC outputs, so may have a positive impact on the sound from audio equipment. They usually cost a lot more than switching power supplies.

Here's an old picture of my headphones system were you can see an LPS next to my D50.

BSiGmyO.jpg

I found no difference between an iFi power supply and an apple iPad power supply when I used them with my D50. Both are switching power supplies in that they use a power transistor to create a high frequency voltage which is then stepped down to produce the DC voltage required (e.g. 5V) and then that is smoothed out. It's this smoothing (and the accuracy of the high frequency voltage) that is done better in the commercial switching power supplies. Relative to an LPS, they are quite compact and efficient (and cheap).

A linear power supply is a big ugly box that supplies a nice, clean DC output voltage, but it operates very inefficiently, so it generates a large amount of wasted heat. LPS's are usually 'cleaner' than switching power supplies for their DC outputs, so may have a positive impact on the sound from audio equipment. They usually cost a lot more than switching power supplies.

Here's an old picture of my headphones system were you can see an LPS next to my

Here's an old picture of my headphones system were you can see an LPS next to my D50.

BSiGmyO.jpg
It's a Streamer the One in White?
A Bluesound Node i2

Aug 22, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #1,053 of 1,054
It's a Streamer the One in White?
A Bluesound Node i2
Yes, it was a Node 2i. I didn't like it so I sold it - the WiFi signal was extremely poor (Node 2i in one room and WiFi router in next room around 5m away with barely any signal!) and it had no USB Audio output so I was using S/PDIF coaxial output on the Node 2i to the D50. Sound quality was fairly good. However, the coaxial output on the Node 2i was always 'live' so the Topping D50 always thought there was a signal on its coaxial input. This meant that the D50 never went into sleep mode. And Bluesound support wasn't very good a few years ago. Hopefully it's improved now.

I'm still waiting for a good quality streamer with I2S output to appear. I have also tried the Zen Stream but it had several shortcomings for me.

A 5V linear power supply for the D50 is a good option for a small improvement in sound quality.

Aug 22, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #1,054 of 1,054
Yes, it was a Node 2i. I didn't like it so I sold it - the WiFi signal was extremely poor (Node 2i in one room and WiFi router in next room around 5m away with barely any signal!) and it had no USB Audio output so I was using S/PDIF coaxial output on the Node 2i to the D50. Sound quality was fairly good. However, the coaxial output on the Node 2i was always 'live' so the Topping D50 always thought there was a signal on its coaxial input. This meant that the D50 never went into sleep mode. And Bluesound support wasn't very good a few years ago. Hopefully it's improved now.

I'm still waiting for a good quality streamer with I2S output to appear. I have also tried the Zen Stream but it had several shortcomings for me.

A 5V linear power supply for the D50 is a good option for a small improvement in sound quality.
In the next few months i Will change Home and I have to change My setup..
Mini PC fanless vs Streamer..
The quality of Daphile Is Better than the One from a Streamer?I Don't use tidal Spotify ecc but Only FLAC ripped by My CD..
Intel Nuc+Daphile (or Audio Nirvana ecc)is cheaper than a Streamer..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back