Topping D50
May 19, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #61 of 1,054
First impressions.

Frankly, it is not easy to find notable difference between Q5 (2x AK4490) vs T50 (2x ESS9038Q2M), though there seems some subtle difference between two. I won't be able to pass A/B test at this point. Quite surprising, but true.

It might be because I use Apple Music (AAC) for testing purposes, but I am not sure. I connected them to mcth-ether c flow.

May 19, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #62 of 1,054
This would be true, if technicalities are the same as frequency response, which they're not. Unless you believe the only thing audible is the frequency response, in which case you are indeed new.

Well, I do believe the only thing audible is frequency response (and time domain) and noise/distortions. But I also believe how these can be reproduced fully does vary with different devices/implementations and more often than not, DACs are not the weakest links.

PS: I am new to audio gears, but not to the actual science behind it, though not much about psychoacoustics.

May 21, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #64 of 1,054
After testing few opamps on my amp with D50 found OPA2111KP to have best synergy it pairs very well with OPA1612A (DAC)
second best-OPA2134PA ,Topping A30 (2xOPA2134PA+2xOPA1611) should pair well also
other opamps tested :
OPA2107 (recessed vocals)
MUSES8820 (doesn't pair well -too much bass)
LME49860NA ( -- I I -- )
OPA2604 (sad)

not yet tested
Burson dual V5i
OPA1612AID

Discrete Op Amp :
Sparcos SS3602 dual (fail/DOA awaiting replacement)
Sonic Imagery Labs 994Enh-Ticha DUAL (incoming)

May 22, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #65 of 1,054
My D50 was delivered today, smaller than expected :D

May 27, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #66 of 1,054
Just got mine from Massdrop's first drop of the Topping D50. If I were to sum its sound, I'd say incredibly clear yet refined and not fatiguing. Compared to the OL DAC, more apparent micro-detail, sound separation, and layering. Finally, I'm done with my home and office setups.

Running mine with Mode 5 (linear, fast roll-off filter) and 4.35 Thesycon drivers.

Im looking for a Dac for my rHead too, guess the pairing is good?

Now i just need to find a seller here in germany!

May 27, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #67 of 1,054
.....Now i just need to find a seller here in germany!

Audiophonics in France will ship to you if you can't find a seller in Germany ... Black or Silver.

May 27, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #68 of 1,054
ill do some more extensive listening over the course of the week (i broke my foot so im stuck home for at least a week they said) i have a dx7s in bound as well i want to compare the d50 as well as my mimby and matrix quattro II. i did not seem to get the buzzing from the d50 some people are getting either. i used an anker adapter to power it. did not have any issues. id like to also try it with a better psu. overall so far this is a very nice little dac. i got him the black as he requested and i ordered a silver one which im waiting for. the black is really nice though and im hoping the silver will look as good lol.

edit: was mistakenly told the dacs being tested were 9038 models.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #69 of 1,054
ill agree with most of the findings so far. i bought one for my brother in law as a gift since he missed the massdrop and he is letting me audition is first. when comparing it to the 9038Pro i found it a pretty close competitor, very close. the 9038 was maybe a bit more open and airy in this setup and maybe a very tiny bit wider. but imo they are pretty close. i didnt find either more fatiguing then the other with the lower midrange maybe a very tiny bit better on the 9038 but its small. this is just from a pretty quick a/b listen today. ill do some more extensive listening over the course of the week (i broke my foot so im stuck home for at least a week they said) i have a dx7s in bound as well i want to compare the d50 as well as my mimby and matrix quattro II. i did not seem to get the buzzing from the d50 some people are getting either. i used an anker adapter to power it. did not have any issues. id like to also try it with a better psu. overall so far this is a very nice little dac. i got him the black as he requested and i ordered a silver one which im waiting for. the black is really nice though and im hoping the silver will look as good lol.

Which 9038Pro DAC did you compare the D50 with?

May 28, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #70 of 1,054
Right now i have a matrix x sabre and a gustard x20, granted not two of the most high end 9038pro dacs, here on loan and i have an audio gd being dropped off this week also for me to get to spend some time with. is the 9038 better overall i would say yes but is it cost wise? depends who u ask.

May 29, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #72 of 1,054
Right now i have a matrix x sabre and a gustard x20, granted not two of the most high end 9038pro dacs, here on loan and i have an audio gd being dropped off this week also for me to get to spend some time with. is the 9038 better overall i would say yes but is it cost wise? depends who u ask.
The Matrix uses the ES9018 and the Gustard the ES9028, both older model DAC chips, but still great.

May 29, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #73 of 1,054

Looks like you don't have a 9038 DACs. So what exactly are your findings about?

May 29, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #74 of 1,054
hmm. i will admit my mistake. i will have to tell him he was mistaken when he loaned them to me he seemed to genuinely think they were or because there is a language barrier i may have misunderstood. he speaks little to no english and i speak little to no russian yet. i dont like reading reviews on anything right before i listen to it so as not to sway my hearing at all but i will check specs to be sure next time. so then i guess i will edit my post. my apologies and i will have to tell him lol. i did pick up a Melokin DA9.1 in a trade which i did check to be a 9038 chip just not a super high end one it looks like. now i will re listen. i have access to a lot of gear through friends ill see what else i can audition to compare it to that has a 9038 because now im curious again lol. .

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #75 of 1,054
That Melokin DA9.1 should have an ES9038Pro chip, which is on the top of the heap for Sabre DACs, and I looked at that same unit before, hope you will fill us in on how it sounds when you can, along with those others to compare the different models.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back