Topping D50
Mar 14, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #676 of 1,054
You understand it only allows DoP64 over SPDIF? For SPDIF that usually means using WASAPI, Some software can be awkward with DoP over wasapi I noticed, but it should be possible, was this HQPlayer you tried?
DoP is DSD in a PCM container, it can work up to 256 DSD since D50 supports 705.6kHz.

As for DSD to PCM conversion, I agree there is little difference, and personally I dont like it because it seems to add very subtle distortion to the sound, but a pleasant kind and it might bring out some other details better than PCM. The main point is how its handled differently upstream, it has been said that Sabres DACs like D50 will not get the full theoretical benefits of DSD conversion that other DACs will.

I highly recommend trying real DSD recordings to hear what it can sound like. a good example is Hoff Ensemble - Quiet Winter Night.
I couldn't get DoP64 over SPDIF, but I only gave it one shot and switched to usb. I get DSD via DoP alright, no problem there. I see no point in using native as there isn't any DSD512 anyway.

Further comparison between DSD and CD: I listened to Mozart's violin sonata no. 28 by Podger/Cooper. I use foobar's "random play" between CD and DSD versions and think I can tell which is which. The DSD version sounds more "transparent". Now I'm talking like an audiophile. :frowning2:

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #677 of 1,054
How do I installed the drivers without installing the software? I installed the software then copy the folder (C:\Program Files\Topping\) to another location. Uninstall the software. From "Device Manager", I manually install the driver for D50 by pointing to the new location. I am system OCD and avoid installed softwares if at all possible. :wink:
I tested again and you can play DSD with only the drivers. You just need to reboot afterwards.

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #678 of 1,054
I couldn't get DoP64 over SPDIF, but I only gave it one shot and switched to usb. I get DSD via DoP alright, no problem there. I see no point in using native as there isn't any DSD512 anyway.
Oh sorry, I misread that you couldnt find DSD512 so used DSD256.
The reason to use DSD512 is for PCM conversion, its recommended to use highest DSD rate possible for the conversion... apparently it has measurably lower noise.
Of course you need twice the CPU power compared to DSD256, meaning that you may have to use less demanding and usually worse sounding filters. and know that for whatever reason I actually preferred the sound of DSD256 with the same filters

Oh and you can upsample DSD256 or less up to DSD512, again I thought this sounded worse than native

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #679 of 1,054
Can anyone confirm if your D50 displays "bitrate" at all? Mine only does when playing DSD files ("1Bit"), but shows a blank when playing PCM sources. I thought this is normal behaviour until I looked up pictures of it. It does display sample rates correctly. I am connecting with usb.

Mar 15, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #680 of 1,054
Can anyone confirm if your D50 displays "bitrate" at all? Mine only does when playing DSD files ("1Bit"), but shows a blank when playing PCM sources. I thought this is normal behaviour until I looked up pictures of it. It does display sample rates correctly. I am connecting with usb.
yes, thats not normal. the only thing I noticed was that with SPDIF it always displayed ''24bit'' even with 16bit files.

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #682 of 1,054
^^^ Ditto above

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #683 of 1,054
People with correct bitrates displayed, what is your OS? Mine is Windows 8.1. With optical cable mine always show "00Bits", googling shows others have the same results with SPDIF. Anyway I just wrote Topping cumtomer service.

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #685 of 1,054
Another question for those with D50: is your bitrate fix to the bitrate you set at windows (16/24/32)? Or does it vary according to the source? Here's what I found at another site:
"Just one question about D50 display. If it pairs with windows USB, it always displays 24 bit or 32 bit bit depth( depending on what I choose from USB driver configuration) even what I play is 16 bit /44.1 or 24/96 or 24/192). When I use it with my android OTG, it always display as 32 bit . on the other hand, the sample rate is displayed correctly ( 44.1/96/192 )."

If it's fixed, maybe I shouldn't worry if mine shows a blank or not. :p

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #690 of 1,054
Yes I did install the drivers. Bitrates are left blank except for DSD sources in which "1Bit" is shown. Come to think of it, the DAC will always receive whatever bitrate you set Windows to, adding 0s to extra spaces (e.g.,16 or 24bit files streamed as 32bit). The display isn't relevant and may cause confusion. Perhaps they removed it in later batches. Some comfirmation from Topping would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back