1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Topping D50

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by junki, Apr 8, 2018.
First

Back
37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57
Next

Last
  1. Technopiper
    How did you get Windows to recognize the DAC? I tried on Windows 10 and 8.1 and both need drivers for the USB device to be recognized.

2. PointyFox
    "1Bit" is correct for DSD since DSD is only 1 bit. Mine doesn't add extra 0s.

3. Technopiper
  4. PointyFox
    Oh, I thought you meant in the display. That makes sense.

5. HiFiRebel
    I connected the DAC via USB and Windows recognised it as "D50" straight away. I didn't have to do anything else. It worked as D50 ever since.

Technopiper likes this.
  6. Technopiper
    I just updated Windows 10 to the latest build and when I connect - BAM - Windows recognize D50 without drivers or setup. Problem persists: D50 display shows sample rate but not bit depth. I am really exhauted - update took 7 hours. Don't know what to do. :frowning2:

7. PointyFox
    Could that part of the screen be defective?

8. Technopiper
    That seems to be the only explanation left. I have exhausted all options: tested it on Win8.1, Win10, updated Win10 to latest build, even tested on my Android tablet. Same result: blank space where there should be bit depth. I haven't got a response from Topping yet. Will call tomorrow.

9. Technopiper
    Mystery solved! I phoned Topping customer service just now, and the person told me that bit depth display has been removed from the latest models of the D50. It used to display bit depth as whatever you set at the player (24 or 32) and not the actual bit depth of the streamed audio. Bit depth display has been removed to avoid confusion. Now I can finally relax and enjoy the music. :)
    large.jpg

PointyFox, Jearly410 and HiFiRebel like this.
  10. Ripper2860
    Thanks!! Did they mention if there would be a firmware update coming for current owners that will stop displaying BIT depth setting onscreen?

11. Technopiper
    Not sure if it's the firmware which controls that since there are those with version 1.03 and got bit depth displayed. Can those with 1.03 confirm? I don't think it's a big deal as long as it does not indicate problem with the DAC itself. If you like I would gladly swap with you. :beyersmile:

Ripper2860 likes this.
  12. Ripper2860
    Hmmmm. There's 1.03 out there? I can only find 1.02 (http://en.tpdz.net/support.html). Any idea where I can get 1.03? My D50 is at v1.02.

No swap needed, just curious. :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  13. PointyFox
    I like seeing what bit depth my computer is outputting.

Ripper2860 likes this.
  14. Ripper2860
    I do too. I also prefer not to have my music file's bitrate padded to 24 or 32, which I believe the driver is doing. I know it's just zeros and it is said to have no affect on sound, but it just throws my OCD into a tizzy!! :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  15. Technopiper
    The player (foobar or jriver) is adding 0s to the stream so that it matches your bit depth setting (24 or 32). The DAC lies at the end of that stream and a change in firmware probably couldn't affect that. There's no way D50 could tell if the original source is 16, 24, or 32bit.

First

Back
37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57
Next

Last