Top IEM for gym use
Jan 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

rakster

New Head-Fier
My q-jays (foam tips) finally have died after 3 years of use mostly during running or weight-lifting.  Loose wire in cable from bending with sound going in and out.  I liked these alot (once I got good fit with foam tips thanks to tip from Headphone Addict) but don't want to send them to Sweden to get recabled (and don't have the skills to do myself).

Really, I want to use this as an opportunity to upgrade!!!

Unfortunately, I don't want to settle for cheap IEM's and although I use them in a pretty demanding setting, I am very careful with my gear.

I will be using unamped with iPod Nano G4, listen to mostly rock, metal, electronica, pop, hip-hop, some laid-back stuff and everything else except country, classical, and jazz.  Love bass, but want it clean, tight, fast, and balanced (would have liked more bass than the q-jays had).  Also love transparency, neutrality, detail, soundstage, etc.  In short, I want it all...
wink_face.gif

Price <$500

Looking at W3 (not patient enough for W4), IE8, GR10, TF10, and X10 (and SE530 and RE0 to lesser extent).  Leaning toward W3.

Am I crazy to buy nice IEM's like these to use in the gym and outside running?  Is there one here that is likely durable enough or that can be repaired easily?  Obviously, good/easy fit is important here.

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 31
Just a quick suggestion, remove any IEMs that dont have replacable cable...I know IE8 and TF10's both have replacable cables not sure about others. I am also very intersted to hear what people will recomened.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 31
I wouldnt use something so nice for gym use its too easy to ruin.  I'd go with something cheaper I know thats not what you asked but imho its too easy for somedthing to happen at the gym.  

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 31

Quote:
Am I crazy to buy nice IEM's like these to use in the gym and outside running? 

Yes, if you can hear the difference you're not running fast enough.

Quote:
Is there one here that is likely durable enough or that can be repaired easily?

Durable enough? probably if you are careful, no earphones can be easily mended. For $500 i'd get 25 pairs of Mee M9

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 31

Quote:
Quote:
Am I crazy to buy nice IEM's like these to use in the gym and outside running? 

Yes, if you can hear the difference you're not running fast enough.

I'd have to disagree on this.  That's why I like IEM's.  With good isolation, I can hear detail no matter what I am doing.

Again, I used the q-jays 4-5 days a week, mostly while exercising but also travel.  I believe the reason they quit on me was that the cable fatigued from coiling them up too tightly after use, not from the the activity itself.

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 31
What a conicidence! Just like you my q-jays broke on me last week. I also have been using it for the gym for the past 2 years, but i believe mine broke from wrapping the wires too tightly around my ipod on a long haul flight.  Ive been researching for a new pair of headphones for the gym, but i figure if headphones end up breaking anyways i probably shouldnt be spending so much.  I was eyeing on a pair of Klipsch S4 but read that they have vulnerable thin wires.  Now I am looking at the HiFiman Re-zero.  From the pictures they seem to be quit durable.  Does anyone know whether these are reasonably durable enough to handle gym and outdoor activities?

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 31
Shure scl4s

Built like a tank

Been using for around two years on the gym now and going strong as ever

Edit:  The head-direct series aren't as nearly as durable as other "durable" earphones, such as the scl4s. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 31
thegame531, that was my problem too, wrapping the cord tightly and it fatigued where it met the plug.

That's just it: it wasn't the gym use, it was the flimsy cord.  I took really good care of it otherwise, cleaned it off after use, cleaned and changed tips/filters regularly.  There just wasn't any way to stow it away without wrapping up the cord and I did try to vary how I did it so it wouldn't fatigue.

Now unlike you, I want to spend more
etysmile.gif
.  But maybe I should have titled the thread, best IEM for unamped use in ipod nano G4 with good isolation (and either a replacable cord or lifetime warranty) so as not to worry people with my gym use.

Thinking now Monster Turbine Pro, either Miles Davis or Copper.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #11 of 31

Quote:
What a conicidence! Just like you my q-jays broke on me last week. I also have been using it for the gym for the past 2 years, but i believe mine broke from wrapping the wires too tightly around my ipod on a long haul flight.  Ive been researching for a new pair of headphones for the gym, but i figure if headphones end up breaking anyways i probably shouldnt be spending so much.  I was eyeing on a pair of Klipsch S4 but read that they have vulnerable thin wires.  Now I am looking at the HiFiman Re-zero.  From the pictures they seem to be quit durable.  Does anyone know whether these are reasonably durable enough to handle gym and outdoor activities?

If you wanted the S4's did you look at the S5 rugged series by klipsch?

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #13 of 31

Quote:
Shures 535

This. great sound with everything you've asked for plus that massively durable REPLACEABLE cable.

I regularly used my UE11 & now use my JH16 in the gym. You could probably go custom & getting something like the JH5 if you fancied it... They're easier to clean if they get sweaty (due to the size) & are soooo much easier to get in & out your ears while you've got chalk or gloves on your hands.

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #14 of 31

Quote:

If you wanted the S4's did you look at the S5 rugged series by klipsch?

Thanks for recommending the S5is.  They are actually not bad looking and appears to be exactly the same as S4s except more rugged.  They' seem perfect for the gym and outdoor activities.  However, they are also $45 more and it doesn't feel right to pay $45 more if there is no upgrade to the sound in any way.  are there any other headphones like this??  hmm... gonna sleep on this one.
confused_face%281%29.gif

i know the shure 535s are great with the newly improved rugged shure wires, but don't feel like dishing out $500 at the moment. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 31
 I use my custom molded Triplefi10 at the gym, running, biking, etc. I got tired of using cheap IEM's, ruins my work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back