Top IEM for gym use
Jan 15, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #17 of 31
Thanks Nuwidol and Numlock!  That's what I wanted to hear!  I knew I wasn't the only one listening to something decent at the gym.  Still the Monster Miles Davis sounds pretty nice... Now wondering if my unamped Nano will handle them...

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #18 of 31
I've yet to try using IEMs on the treadmill but I can't imagine using that level of isolation on the road.  I run with Yurbuds Ironman phones blasting Trance music set to the BPM of whatever workout pace I'm running at the moment.  They fit perfectly, won't pull out and allow me to hear cars coming up behind me.

However, the sound quality is not good.  You can, however, use the Yurbud tips on higher-quality buds if you like (and once the temps around here allow the ice to melt, I plan to)

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #19 of 31

Quote:
Thanks for recommending the S5is.  They are actually not bad looking and appears to be exactly the same as S4s except more rugged.  They' seem perfect for the gym and outdoor activities.  However, they are also $45 more and it doesn't feel right to pay $45 more if there is no upgrade to the sound in any way.  are there any other headphones like this??  hmm... gonna sleep on this one.
confused_face%281%29.gif

i know the shure 535s are great with the newly improved rugged shure wires, but don't feel like dishing out $500 at the moment. 

There are the Senneheiser CX680i's at newegg for 39.95 right now but I think they are more an earbud then a IEM from what I have read. I picked up a pair that should be here in the next week and will happily post some feedback when I get them. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
I've yet to try using IEMs on the treadmill but I can't imagine using that level of isolation on the road.  I run with Yurbuds Ironman phones blasting Trance music set to the BPM of whatever workout pace I'm running at the moment.  They fit perfectly, won't pull out and allow me to hear cars coming up behind me.

However, the sound quality is not good.  You can, however, use the Yurbud tips on higher-quality buds if you like (and once the temps around here allow the ice to melt, I plan to)

I'm lucky to be in Florida!  Actually I run on either sidewalks or paved paths.  The more isolation the better.  But it doesn require using your eyes carefully and keeping your head on a swivel!

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #22 of 31

Quote:
 I use my custom molded Triplefi10 at the gym, running, biking, etc. I got tired of using cheap IEM's, ruins my work out.

Please tell me you don't use IEMs for biking on the road...  Impairing your hearing while riding is a very, very bad thing.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #23 of 31
Now that, I do not do.  Very dangerous to bike and listen!

By the way, I ordered Monster Turbine Miles Davis Tribute's.  Quite torn between those and Coppers.  We'll see...

Thanks for everyone's help!  Will have to baby them with my use at gym and running.  Hopefully they're not too heavy for running, I'm not a fan of over the ear wear.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #24 of 31
If it isn't too late, I highly recommend Ety 4s (or 4p) if you're not using an amp.  I've used these for quite a few years.  I too used q-jays as well but they didn't hold up as well as the Etys.  The q-jays cord became stiff near the ear after a couple of years due to sweat I presume.  I pulled them out of the gym and went (back) to the Etys.

The cord on the Etys holds up very well to sweat.  While I do wipe them down regularly, they still haven't stiffened at all.

Microphonics are an issue with the Etys.  Clipping to my shirt works best as the design is not good for over the ear.

I use Comply tips and find they isolate the best.  Last year I experimented with q-jays, RE0s and Etys and found the Etys provide the best isolation at the gym.

My perfect set up now is the Etys with a Fuze amped with the Arrow 2HE.  Beautiful sound.

I don't listen to music while I exercise, I exercise while listening to music.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #25 of 31
I use beaters when I work out, usually the stock earphones that I got with DAPs and such. They are great, no worries about sweat/humidity/cable damage. Since I baby my S9 so much, I just use a beater iPod shuffle with the clip thing it's the lightest probably and smallest mp3 player. Can't tell the difference in audio quality while focusing on working out.

(As previously mentioned I think the Adidas/Sennheisers would be probably best)

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #26 of 31
I wear my JH5's, but my stock cable has gotten pulled a lot (not because of the gym), but I think that if I paid $500 for nice iem's, i should be able to wear them anywhere and actually get good use out of them.
Obviously I can't use them for running or impact sport stuff, but for weight training and lifting they are perfect because I can stay isolated.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #29 of 31

Quote:
 I use my custom molded Triplefi10 at the gym, running, biking, etc. I got tired of using cheap IEM's, ruins my work out.

Did the same..however whenever i run with them or look up at the ceiling while lifting weights, it breaks the seal and i lose the bass.  I have to consistently keep a steady head if i want a good seal. Do you have this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back