Top Bass Booming Headphones under $300 USD.
Oct 14, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #31 of 44
Congrats on the impending purchase!! And welcome to headfi. 
biggrin.gif
 Where did you get your Q40's from?

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:
This gave me the answers and input I was searching for as well. Very insightful post, MalVeauX. I am going to purchase the Q40s and the E11 this coming Thursday, my first pair of real cans.

Ah finally someone who has gone straight for the Q40's. Do tell us how they sound, I never did have enough guts to accept the idea that more expensive doesn't always equate to better.

And that's why i own a PRO 900...haha

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #33 of 44
Just sent back a pair of Q40's. Amped they sounded fantastic, some of the best bass I've ever heard. But unamped (and the main way I'll be using them) they were lacking quite a bit. I would only consider them if I were going to run an amped setup. That and the build quality left something to be desired. But for the price, you can't expect too much.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:
Just sent back a pair of Q40's. Amped they sounded fantastic, some of the best bass I've ever heard. But unamped (and the main way I'll be using them) they were lacking quite a bit. I would only consider them if I were going to run an amped setup. That and the build quality left something to be desired. But for the price, you can't expect too much.

Also from reports I have heard the build quality is not good....

Once you get over the "i want massive booming bass" phase... You will probably want to look for some headphones with good midrange, treble, soundstage etc. I recommend either the Denon D5000 or the hifiman he 400

*edit* Oh you said unamped..... Not so sure about those two then without an amp.... CAL! (CREATIVE AURVANA LIVE) are alright and only cost £50 .... work well without an amp and sound decent... They have fostex drivers like the denon D2000.

You will probably find that bass is lacking on anything unamped compared to amped....

Depending which DAP you use but an amp will always give better bass on pretty much any headphone even IEM from my experience.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #35 of 44
my headphone collection is pro900, xb500/700/1000,d2000s,hd650s..... and in that spectrum i can recommend and compare only...i would suggest xb500s with the most thunder/punch along with pro900s .....xb700/1000s for subbass thunder.....d2000s for quality refined bass and best balanced spectrum...the bass is super deep but lack the mid bass punch... hd650s are not that bass heavy so........ out of all these i enjoy xb1000s the most but they need equing if you want a heavy super punch of bass.... they require a huge amount of amping though... but those 70mm drvers posses the most powerful subbass rumble of any headphones and you will be deeply worried for the health of your eardrums as they flutter like butterflies.... as for total bass quantity then xb500s win but again need equing for a more balanced sound... out of all these my preffered are the d2000s as they are great with anytype of music.... and the drums on metal music will particularly sound fantastic.....

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:
my headphone collection is pro900, xb500/700/1000,d2000s,hd650s..... and in that spectrum i can recommend and compare only...i would suggest xb500s with the most thunder/punch along with pro900s .....xb700/1000s for subbass thunder.....d2000s for quality refined bass and best balanced spectrum...the bass is super deep but lack the mid bass punch... hd650s are not that bass heavy so........ out of all these i enjoy xb1000s the most but they need equing if you want a heavy super punch of bass.... they require a huge amount of amping though... but those 70mm drvers posses the most powerful subbass rumble of any headphones and you will be deeply worried for the health of your eardrums as they flutter like butterflies.... as for total bass quantity then xb500s win but again need equing for a more balanced sound... out of all these my preffered are the d2000s as they are great with anytype of music.... and the drums on metal music will particularly sound fantastic.....

haha awesome collection, must be fun.

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #38 of 44
those 70mm drvers posses the most powerful subbass rumble of any headphones and you will be deeply worried for the health of your eardrums as they flutter like butterflies

I love listening to my amped big XB's but you really have to be careful with the volume. :L3000:

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:
Congrats on the impending purchase!! And welcome to headfi. 
biggrin.gif
 Where did you get your Q40's from?

Thank you! I purchased them from Amazon, a friend of mine recommended to just purchase from them to be easier for me. I can't wait!
Quote:
Ah finally someone who has gone straight for the Q40's. Do tell us how they sound, I never did have enough guts to accept the idea that more expensive doesn't always equate to better.

And that's why i own a PRO 900...haha

Yeah, I might as well try them out! If I don't enjoy them then I will simply buy a new pair! I will definitely tell the community on how they perform!

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Good thing I'll only be using them Amped haha, and really if I don't like 'em, I can just purchase a new pair.

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #43 of 44
I have similar experience as hammer of thor.  sub bass go for xb700/1000. midbass go for xb500 or some of the Ultrasone.  For a more refine sub bass that is more of a all around player then the D2000.  I usually grab my D2000 for most use and occasionally grab the XB's for fun...throw in an amp that has bass boost and you should get some pretty good sub bass.

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #44 of 44
This is easy !! The JBL synchros s700's have bass like no other !! You won't find headphones for any price that can compete! These headphones blow beats studios away no contest !! And they also sound awesome ! And have great design and build qualtiy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back