Top Bass Booming Headphones under $300 USD.
Oct 13, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #17 of 44
I got my d2000's for $200 free shipping from J & R. Gotta call em and ask to see if they have it at that price. Usually do.

D2000 are discontinued, I don't think J&R has any additional stock of them (most legitimate/quality retailers have sold out; the unscrupulous have taken them to >MSRP, I've seen $400+ for what should be a $300-$350 product, and I expect that will probably go higher).

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #18 of 44
D2000 are discontinued, I don't think J&R has any additional stock of them (most legitimate/quality retailers have sold out; the unscrupulous have taken them to >MSRP, I've seen $400+ for what should be a $300-$350 product, and I expect that will probably go higher).

Ah...that is unfortunate. I got mine around 2 years ago. Maybe they have the d2100? Or whatever the new line is? Or try ebay/for sale section.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #19 of 44
Ah...that is unfortunate. I got mine around 2 years ago. Maybe they have the d2100? Or whatever the new line is? Or try ebay/for sale section.

AH-D600. They're $499 (they replace both D2000 and D5000), and reviews are very mixed. I haven't tried them myself (as vain as it is, I'm not crazy about the looks, and that's a turn off at $500).

Personally I think the Kenwood KH-K1000 are just dandy as a replacement/sidegrade, but they are slightly more money (at $380-$400). They're also JDM, so your dealer choices are limited (AudioCubes has them though). And I'm fine to just suggest those in lieu of the D2000, because I know they're a good all around headphone (like the D2000 - personally I liked the Kenwood more), and those who have heard/reviewed them tend to agree (whereas the D600 seems to polarize people).

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #22 of 44
What has more sub-bass? the PRO 900 or the D2000's? I have heard the D2000's have a very nice sub-bass rumble...

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:
What has more sub-bass? the PRO 900 or the D2000's? I have heard the D2000's have a very nice sub-bass rumble...

D2000 - To me the Denon's are the king of sub-bass (yes, over the XB series)

Pro 900 has a huge mid-bass hump which also changes the relative perception of sub-bass. 

The D2000 is the closest headphone I have heard to a subwoofer

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

D2000 - To me the Denon's are the king of sub-bass (yes, over the XB series)

Pro 900 has a huge mid-bass hump which also changes the relative perception of sub-bass. 

The D2000 is the closest headphone I have heard to a subwoofer

You haven't tried the Beyer Custom Ones yet 
biggrin.gif
 I think these are great bass cans, I prefer them over the D2k and other bassy cans like the XBs. I really liked the bass the D2ks, but the only thing that I didn't like was how muddy it sounded. It was very satisfying, but the control of the bass was a slight issue for me.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #25 of 44
I've found the Ultrasone HFI-580s to be excellent headphones for electronica in general.  Great bass and all that.  Might be a bit bright for some songs, but overall I've found myself reaching for these over my 598s on a consistent basis.  Might not be pushing the 300 dollar limit, but I've found them to be rather good for the price. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

You haven't tried the Beyer Custom Ones yet 
biggrin.gif
 I think these are great bass cans, I prefer them over the D2k and other bassy cans like the XBs. I really liked the bass the D2ks, but the only thing that I didn't like was how muddy it sounded. It was very satisfying, but the control of the bass was a slight issue for me.

I haven't tried the Beyer Custom One...although would want to at one point. D2000 muddy...hmmm...they aren't tight like my HE-500, but they aren't muddy though. Sure in the sub-bass at times they have a slight bloom but definitely don't hurt the mid-range...what were you amping them with?

I see you have CD5003, I myself have the CD5004 and use it with JDS Labs O2...definitely not muddy, although the bass control I can see your point. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

I haven't tried the Beyer Custom One...although would want to at one point. D2000 muddy...hmmm...they aren't tight like my HE-500, but they aren't muddy though. Sure in the sub-bass at times they have a slight bloom but definitely don't hurt the mid-range...what were you amping them with?

I see you have CD5003, I myself have the CD5004 and use it with JDS Labs O2...definitely not muddy, although the bass control I can see your point. 

Maybe because my standards are different than yours. Maybe because I'm so used to my other HPs that if I try the D2k my ears will instantly categorize it as boomy, slightly lacking controlled bass. I never said they hurt the mid-range, and I don't remember any bass bleeding into the mids. I amped the D2k with my EF5, E11, and just straight from my Hifiman HM-602 (the Hifiman has plenty of juice to power full-size cans).

Yes, Marantz CD players are quite brilliant for the price 
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Maybe because my standards are different than yours. Maybe because I'm so used to my other HPs that if I try the D2k my ears will instantly categorize it as boomy, slightly lacking controlled bass. I never said they hurt the mid-range, and I don't remember any bass bleeding into the mids. I amped the D2k with my EF5, E11, and just straight from my Hifiman HM-602 (the Hifiman has plenty of juice to power full-size cans).

Yes, Marantz CD players are quite brilliant for the price 
biggrin.gif

Yea I agree with this completely. It was just previously that you said they were muddy, which would be something like Beats - bass control and being muddy are two different things.

Yup, the Marantz CD players are indeed quite brilliant - hassle free, awesome performance. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #29 of 44
For the genres the OP specified, I do find the Ultrasone Pro 900 to be a very high performing set. Zoom25 had mentioned that its mid-bass alters the perception of sub-bass, and I definitely agree. Now, don't get me wrong as sub-bass is present, just that the mid-bass overshadows it a bit.

All in all, Ultrasone HFI-580 and Pro 900 are some of the best headphones for EDM, each on different price and performance tiers.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #30 of 44
This gave me the answers and input I was searching for as well. Very insightful post, MalVeauX. I am going to purchase the Q40s and the E11 this coming Thursday, my first pair of real cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back