Too much bass bad for headphones?
Jun 14, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #31 of 35
Yes, I was just picking on you.
etysmile.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #33 of 35
The kx drivers are pretty amazing.  I probably use less than 10% of their functionality myself.

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #34 of 35
I wouldn't worry about them, headphones are more/less sensitive to certain frequencies and your just equalizing out part of (what I am assuming) is your headphone's frequency response curve.  Seriously not a problem unless you discuss it on (imho) a theoretical level. Most of the people who are complaining have an issue with the fact that it is digital attenuation and stuff, but with your equipment level (not knocking you... I have a audigy 2 right here) and lack of wanting to replace the headphones (if you do go dennon d2000, lots of bass, if you dampen it good everything else, and it is easy enough to power through your soundcard) the eq when done (not overdone) correctly sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for.  I don't think on that equipment you will be able to notice much if any "loss" from the digital attenuation if you do it right, as that's probably not your limiting factor. Please nobody flame me because this is just my experience with my equipment (I've had a bit... but my amp is still just, probably considered here, mid range at best) and I'd probably wait until you get another persons input, because hey, I have like maybe 10 posts here, I'm a n00b.

Just be careful not to let it clip or anything and enjoy.
P.S.  thanks to RPGWiZaRD for their insight.  Great posts.

Mar 25, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #35 of 35
had to reup this because im almost positive this is what i have done to my xb500's, 2 pairs! in the same week! i ran these out of my tubdac 11's headphone out and 15 minutes later, fresh out of the box the left cup dies almost like something snapped or came loose inside of the housing, if i apply pressure to the cup at certain angles i get hearing back temporarily, i returned those and got a 2nd pair and 3 hours later, same exact thing happened but to the right ear this time

i listen to bass heavy music this is true, and moderately high as well but i dont max it, but it wasnt the eq exactly that did it since i rarely use it, i used 2 dsp's to give me the bass effects i wanted out of foobar, 1 being the h82 sonic harmonizer using the bass drum preset and the other being real bass exciter and set the frequency pretty low because i figured the xb's could take it....guess not

also i tested this on my trusty portapros for like an hour to see if it was just sony cans and after about an hour or so i started hearing the music breaking up a little on the right cup so i turned it off before i caused damage, unless someone can give me their take on what else could be the culprit, im pretty sure thats what did it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back