Tokyo 2014 Autumn Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival Impressions
Oct 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 122
Caption this photo with Jude, Kenzo and Sean (Anakchan).

Brannan "The Glove" Mason with Haru from Wagnus.

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 122
I didn't get to hang out with any of the head-fiers really- there was just too much to see and hear.

From brands popular here -Mr. Speakers brought his Alpha Primes, which sound great. New portabled from Hifiman and a couple others looked great. Oppo had their HA-1 with glass tops and the HA-2 on display, but no PM-3

As expected lots of portables and CIEMs. And a large number of DSD DACs on display.

Unfortunately no pictures here, phone battery hit 10% by 10:30.

Oct 25, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 122
Heh, looks like Sony is jumping on the bandwagon too.

I've already left the event; anyone going back again tomorrow?
Yes we all will be.

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 122
Did anyone else stop by the Astell&Kern's listening room to listen to their air duct rattle >.>

Products that kinda caught my eye -

Crescendo ear protection IEM tips from Korg - www.korg-kid.com/crescendo - tuned ear protection with removable "pill" cores for use as IEM tips (mostly tri-flange.)

Analog Square Paper's "Erectron Tube X Transistor" (taken from their flyer) - hybrid tube portable amps.  Tube sound from a portable you say?  It's "portable" - two massive batteries inside and tubes makes it a bit heavy and warm to carry around.  Sounded... like a decent tube amp.  analog2p.com for those interested.

Dared had a few interesting products - a tube hybrid preamp with bluetooth connectivity.  They had a small wooden cased portable too, but I didn't get a good look at it.  dared.co.hk for those interested.

The dealer/purchase room was a bit of a disappointment, but for that you can go right around the corner into the main store...  or across town to e-earphone.

Too bad I have work in the morning!  Have an excellent day 2!

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 122
Definitely interested; I'm in Yokohama, so I can pop by into Tokyo anytime.

Lots of long weekends coming up too :)

Edit: Looks like the sales list for the festival has been updated (as of 8:15 pm local time).

https://www.fujiya-avic.jp/user_data/docs/kaijou_sale_2014a.pdf

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 122
Give me a few minutes, was just copying them from my SD card now.

Edit: Here we go. Sorry about the weird white balance, I forgot I had it set to auto, and I'm a bit tired to adjust the lighting now.

General shots:

There was a table of some rare/unusual headphones:

First time seeing a CD/DVD demagnetizer...can someone explain to me (like I'm 5) why one might use this?

Found this amusing:

One day....one day...

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #12 of 122
Thanks for pics!

First time seeing a CD/DVD demagnetizer...can someone explain to me (like I'm 5) why one might use this?

ELI5 for you: CD and DVD are made of plastic that said there is no magnetic flux on it around it etc. CD cannot be magnetized ... hope you see where this is going :)

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #13 of 122
 A good CD/DVD demagnetizer, when used with some dynamic range-extending jelly, can turn CDs into SACD and DVD into Blu-Ray.  No, really.

So did anyone who went today see Kingsound? 

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #14 of 122
  Thanks for pics!

ELI5 for you: CD and DVD are made of plastic that said there is no magnetic flux on it around it etc. CD cannot be magnetized ... hope you see where this is going :)

Thanks for the ELI5. That's exactly what I thought....I'm sure there will be some people that will say a CD/DVD is not 100% aluminum/polycarbonate, etc and that it might matter...but really?

Quote:
   A good CD/DVD demagnetizer, when used with some dynamic range-extending jelly, can turn CDs into SACD and DVD into Blu-Ray.  No, really.

So did anyone who went today see Kingsound? 

This is almost as good as a DVD rewinder!

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #15 of 122
  That's exactly what I thought....I'm sure there will be some people that will say a CD/DVD is not 100% aluminum/polycarbonate, etc and that it might matter...but really?

This is almost as good as a DVD rewinder!

I'm pretty sure it cost something like $xxxx when it was in production so probably for tru audiophile that alone increased the listening experience. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back