Time for a new car, what would you choose?
Jul 3, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #46 of 94
I did not vote in the poll, because, like many others, I would choose something other than the BMW 328xi or Merc C280 4matic. Specifically, I like the Audi A4 awd better, but even more, I like the Lexus IS 250 AWD.

I've owned BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus. Each is good, and has their strong points, but Lexus has won me over with the combination of reliability, performance, quality, and service. Just my 0.02, but if the deal isn't done, and you haven't yet tried the IS 250 AWD, you may want to.

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #47 of 94
I definitely would take the 328 over the c-280...the rest of the thread pretty covered the rationale.

Jul 4, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #48 of 94
If its a lease he doesn't really need to consider long-term reliability. It could burst into flames at 37 months as far as he'd be concerned.

Jul 4, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #49 of 94
no, I'd say the merc. I had a job like that. I'd say for the job, and for CA driving, the bmw is too pushy. not that I'd turn down either car if it showed up at my garage... I'm actually thinking of getting a mini - it's got the bmw engine and handling, with a totally different spirit... and for the payment you're aiming for (not bad at all!) you could almost get two!

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #50 of 94
Personally I'm likey to pick up a new 4matic C280 by the end of summer. Now that I'm a 28 years old its time to get me a more adult car.

Plus I have to out-snob my brother's Cadillac.

Jul 5, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #51 of 94
I read a few reviews on 4WD systems and BMW has one of the worst ones. That's the only reason I voted for the Benz.

Personally though, I'd say grab the Infiniti G35X, nice looking car (I think so, some disagree), and it has the best overall 4WD of any entry level luxury sedan. Saves you a bit f cash too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #52 of 94
Neither car would be on my personal list, but of the two, the BMW, because I've only heard bad things about Benz for maintenance & repairs the last several years.

You might want to compare insurance quotes while you're at it.

Jul 8, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #53 of 94
Today I drove the Mercedes C280, it was decent. The power was less than I expected, ride was smooth, comfortable, and quiet. It felt smaller inside, and back seat passenger leg room is minimal. The staff at the dealership were fabulous! No pressure, I explained my situation and what I was looking for and they were completely accommodating. Very pleasant to deal with and they are the closest to my house.
I'm going to try and get out to the BMW dealership tomorrow, and I have an appointment at the Infiniti dealership on Monday.

Edit: I'm thinking of dropping the AWD and just going with a 2WD version.

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #54 of 94
I like those M-series from Infiniti. Their G's are appealing, too.

Too many tools around here have BMWs and Mercedes.

Actually, there are a lot of tools in the 636 that drive Infiniti, Acura, Lexus, Audi, Saab, Volvo, Hummer, GMC, Ford, Lincoln, Cadillac, Mercury, Buick, Pontiac, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, VW, Nissan, and Saturn, too.

Jul 8, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #56 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the back seat leg room on your Altima?

PRetty good, actually. One of the pics I posted a while back made it look cramped, so I freaked out and checked it out for myself.

I am 5' 10", and I pushed the driver's seat back so that there was enough room for guy (or gal) 6' 2" tall to drive comfortably. Then, I went and sat back in the back seat with a book. There's some good room, and I'd be OK for a long trip. The area under the front seat, where you could stick your feet for some extra room is a bit narrow, though.

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #57 of 94
Today I drove the BMW 328i. It is a more impressive car than the Benz, it has more power and a sportier ride and feel to it. It handles very well, but back seat leg room is also severely lacking.

On a whim I stopped into the Nissan dealership and drove a Maxima SE. The CVT is a trip to drive, I was expecting lower performance from it. It has more power than both the Benz and the BMW. The CVT is smooth, I was concerned about freeway passing and off the line acceleration, but it handles both just fine. I set the driver seat up for me and then climbed into the back seat. Hey, room! My legs don't hit the front seat. The trunk is huge, and the option packages are just as equipped as the big boys. Plus I can get a fully loaded SE minus the nav package for $313 a month (39 months, 15,000 miles per year, 15 cents per mile over that). I think I've found my next car!

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #58 of 94
One more recommendation out of the blue, what about a lincoln towncar? Very professional looking, lost of space on the inside, and it can move, my stepmom has one and it will go when you need it to, and it is a very luxurious ride that very rarely needs matinence.

Jul 9, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #59 of 94
Maxima is a great car, go for it!

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #60 of 94
2wd? Go with a Cadillac CTS. Very sharp looking in silver w/ black leather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back