Time for a new car, what would you choose?
Jul 3, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #31 of 94
Another vote for the 3 series, although I would have to side with some of the comments about BMW and their X-drive technology. It has gotten better though, if you read up on it.

Off the poll, I'd also recommend the new G35 sedan. They finally matched it's sexy look with the coupe and, IMO, is leagues classier than the new 3 series.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #33 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, i thought there was...a different substance behind this purchase. no matter, 3 series and c class are not upscale big $ look unfortunately, if thats what you're after. they're used as taxis in many parts of the world.

Almost every taxi here is a Mercedes e class (and the occasional bmw 5 or audi A6). Taxi's are considered to be luxury cars over here and I think that's also the case in many other parts in the wordl.

I'd rather get an audi or lexus then a BMW or Mercedes, to each his own I guess.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #34 of 94
Is the Infiniti AWD? I thought it was RWD only.

But for the 35,000-40,000 price range for AWD sedans (Acura RL, Lexus IS250, BMW 328xi, Mercedes C280)..... really, how can you go wrong with any of them? (The Benz gets a restyle for 08... be sure to look for closeout deals).

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #35 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Infiniti AWD? I thought it was RWD only.

But for the 35,000-40,000 price range for AWD sedans (Acura RL, Lexus IS250, BMW 328xi, Mercedes C280)..... really, how can you go wrong with any of them? (The Benz gets a restyle for 08... be sure to look for closeout deals).

The G35X is AWD, and it's only available as a sedan. If the coupe had available AWD I'd already own one!

I'm going to look into Lexus as well.

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #36 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly I want an "upscale" look for image, I do a lot of business in big $$$ neighborhoods, and my current vehicle just looks out of place and doesn't portray the professional image I'm striving for. Occasionally I take clients to lunch as well, so something nice is what I'm going for.

I couldn't care less what the "chickies" think of it!

I want the AWD for snow, I live 45 minutes from Tahoe and spend quite a bit of time there in the winter.

then you want at least a A6 or 5 series, A4 and 3 are not what I would call upscale. If you can swing for a 7 or S it's even better. IMO, A4 and 3 are everyday/fun car, nothing too flashy, unless you go for an M3..but I doubt that would help your professional image
wink.gif

On the issue of driving in the snow, I live in MI and we get our share of snow every year. I never had a AWD bimmer, but my Audi with Quatro is so awesome in snow, I drive 75 when everyone else is driving 40 during those slippery conditions and I don't feel I am driving fast/dangerous at all!! If you are going for AWD, I strong recommend Audi over BMW. BMW rear wheel drive with stability is OK in snow, in the past 5 years I fish tailed once, but regained control (yeah that's the BMW magic) pretty quickly; for 100% safety go for an AWD.

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #37 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeerkaas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost every taxi here is a Mercedes e class (and the occasional bmw 5 or audi A6). Taxi's are considered to be luxury cars over here and I think that's also the case in many other parts in the wordl.

I'd rather get an audi or lexus then a BMW or Mercedes, to each his own I guess.

Heh..just got back from China, and they got some of the CX#@$ Taxi over there. I felt like the car (VW ..something) was falling apart as the taxi driver pressed the gas pedal while the car jumped over several speed bumps. Yikes!!
orphsmile.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #38 of 94
I would take a BMW over a Mercedes Benz any day.

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #39 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh..just got back from China, and they got some of the CX#@$ Taxi over there. I felt like the car (VW ..something) was falling apart as the taxi driver pressed the gas pedal while the car jumped over several speed bumps. Yikes!!
orphsmile.gif

Heh, yeah, those VW Santanas are old and rickety. There are some Audi 100-clone cabs too, which look much nicer.

On the other hand, the Santana is an awesome name...
lambda.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #40 of 94
upscale look and c-class? no. e-class and s-class, yes. i really think the c-class kind of average looking, non classy car to me. at least the 3-series are kind of fun driving car. what about x-type from jaguar?

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #41 of 94
A big heavy, honkin American SUV so I can fly down the highway at 90 mph burning up gasoline like Saddam Hussein's retreat from Kuwait.

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #44 of 94
In my neck of the woods I'd probably pick the Mercedes-Benz, just because everybody and their dead grandma has a BMW (Z4 is the beemer of choice here).

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #45 of 94
Will you consider a used car? If you do, your dollars will go far. My suggestion is BMW 5 series older model (2002-2004) looks classy to me and it's not that expensive. You've got to do your due dilligence though, have it inspected and see their maintenance schedule. My cousin's husband got a 2003 530i w/ 80k miles for cheap. He has it inspected and the maintenance logs showed it was taken care properly. Since you're from California, it will be easy to find independent shop to service a BMW (for cost savings).

His 5 series is much nicer to drive than my cousin's c240 and their MPG is almost the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back