Time for a new car, what would you choose?
Jul 3, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #16 of 94
Yeah, and there are rental car companies that rent Lamborghinis, whats your point?

I'm getting something nice that fits into my budget, I don't give a **** if someone uses them as a taxi.

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #17 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, and there are rental car companies that rent Lamborghinis, whats your point?

I'm getting something nice that fits into my budget, I don't give a **** if someone uses them as a taxi.

from what you've said, your own budget won't cover your criteria LOL! maybe you shouldn't give a **** what they think in the big $ neighbourhoods too then
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #18 of 94
Quote:

I want the AWD for snow, I live 45 minutes from Tahoe and spend quite a bit of time there in the winter.

That makes sense.

I would stick with a BMW. It is the benchmark in that class. Of course, I own a 3 series and I am biased... BTW I am not a taxi driver (I have seen the movie, though).
icon10.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #19 of 94
Maybe you misunderstood what I meant, right now I'm driving a 1991 Nissan truck with 200,000 miles and faded black paint. Instead of buying something cheap like a Kia, Hyundai, or a Sentra or Civic I want something with a little more class. When I'm standing there talking cars with a guy who has 2 Ferraris in his garage I know I can't compete!

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #20 of 94
In that case then, go with the BMW. Infinity wouldnt really look good as an upscale car, they are more sporty than upscale.

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #21 of 94
I lived in California and to me there are just too many BMW's around and they have lost some of the classy factor to me, so I would say go with the Benz if you are going for the upscale look. My point may seem stupid but think of it this way, when the original Razr phone came out and you saw someone with one you got a feeling of wow that guy is well off and classy, but now they are owned by so man people that they have completely lost the class factor and they are just another phone, the BMW seems like the Razr of cars to me.

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #23 of 94
BMW...because of services included. If you had to do services on either, you'de know why you should go with the car that has maintenance included.

Also, my GFs boss has a higher end Mercedes, and she absolutely hates it because of the maintenance.

Also, since you're looking at it from a "baller POV", BMWs age better than Benzes...i.e they don't look dated as the years go by. Look at your early M3's, those things still look pimp and not too dated considering they're potentially a 13 year old car... A Mercedes of the same year, looks dated in comparison.

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #24 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lived in California and to me there are just too many BMW's around and they have lost some of the classy factor to me, so I would say go with the Benz if you are going for the upscale look. My point may seem stupid but think of it this way, when the original Razr phone came out and you saw someone with one you got a feeling of wow that guy is well off and classy, but now they are owned by so man people that they have completely lost the class factor and they are just another phone, the BMW seems like the Razr of cars to me.

I hear you...the BMW's are all over the place here in LA/OC (especiallly the 3 series and Z4). Every now and then you'll see an M3 but not that often. ( I see more boxsters and 911s than those, actually O_o)

Jul 3, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #25 of 94
Everybody here seems to be talking about maintenance, what it looks like etc etc.

What are they like to drive is the question? Thats what I look for in a car. In that case the BMW wins hands down. BMW make drivers cars. Merc's, some AMGs excluded, are not drivers cars.

Jul 3, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #27 of 94
Getting back to the objective for this car.

As you need the new car mainly for "work" reasons (i.e., professional image and social standing impressions to clients), you have to ask whether a Beemer or a Merc would serve the need better.

IMO, if your clients are mostly conservative, traditional, and older people, perhaps the Merc would be a better choice, as it gives off a touch of more gentile elegance. Remember that you have to drive them to lunch, so would they feel more comfortable in a classly Merc or a sporty Beemers? Also, Mercs have a softer ride (more comfortable for the passengers) than Beemers.

On the other hand, if your clients are slightly younger, then the Beemer might be a good choice.

Like you, I also contemplated the issue of professional image. I work as a consultant and have to visit clients frequently to do on-site work. However, in my case, I didn't want to give the impression of being too affluent, so I opted for the Beemer.

Of course the fun factor weighed in heavily on the decision as well.

Think of it this way, whatever the choice, it's still a pretty good ride.

Cheers!

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #28 of 94
It's 15-1 in BMW's favor because it's a 3-series vs. the C class. Personally, I would not recommend the C class to anyone. My girlfriend has a C240 4-matic and her brother had a 330CI and now has a 5 Series, and I would recommend the 3 over the C anyday. But I would also tell you to take a look at the Lexus IS250 AWD. It's sexy.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #29 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, i thought there was...a different substance behind this purchase. no matter, 3 series and c class are not upscale big $ look unfortunately, if thats what you're after. they're used as taxis in many parts of the world.

BMW is seen a bit differently in the US than parts of the rest of the world. In the US, BMW = status symbol. I nearly died when I went to London and all the cops drove 5 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back