Tidal Lossless Streaming
Jun 1, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,096 of 5,210

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766387/tidal-hi-definition-audio-streaming-review-by-mark2410

my point was, that Tidal was something different, soemthing special.  then jay z came along, threw all of what made it special out the window so he could turn it into a showcase his, and his co owners music.

and what unrelated technical issues?  he and his friends make a crappy quality product.  if they are going to try and plug themselves as "caring" about music they could at least bother to produce their own stuff decently, not so badly mastered and dynamically compressed to hell.

Before Jay-Z:  full CD resolution, but uneven streaming reception.  After Jay-Z:  full CD resolution, much improved streaming reliability.
Before Jay-Z:  big selection, but not as big as competitors.  After: bigger selection, catching up to competitors.
Before: no video.  After: some video.
Before:  Home page did not highlight that much hip hop.  After: more so.  But millions of songs available either way, in every genre.

Before: you think Jay-Z "and his friends" make lousy music that is badly mastered and compressed.  After: same.  But that has nothing to do with the quality/resolution of the Tidal streaming service itself.

(Also, After: Tidal commits to paying better fees to musicians than Spotify and other competitors)

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #1,097 of 5,210
thanks for the help, goodnight. 

Good morning!
You are Welcome! :) I hope you got it running yesterday. I noticed one more thing when re-reading the posts. If using Jplay6 you will have to add Jplay driver in Asio Bridge...and have your DAC driver in Jplay settings to get it right. I am not sure if this is how you done it? Every time you make a new setting in Jplay you have to stop Asio in Asio Bridge and restart Asio after the settings is done. If this is not the case and the sound card is not bypassed you will need to change the sound output settings. It is importstopp that the players sound device AND PC's default sound device is both VB cable. Chrome player depend on the PC's default sound device. If the VB cable is not default it will not work properly. :cool:

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #1,098 of 5,210
@Cornan, Thank you for sharing the tip regarding ASIO Bridge & Fidelizer. Finally got around to trying both products today and I couldn't be more pleased. Tidal was good before, but now sounds even better. For now, I have my system set the the “AUDIOPHILE” optimization level with Fidelizer. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #1,099 of 5,210
  @Cornan, Thank you for sharing the tip regarding ASIO Bridge & Fidelizer. Finally got around to trying both products today and I couldn't be more pleased. Tidal was good before, but now sounds even better. For now, I have my system set the the “AUDIOPHILE” optimization level with Fidelizer. Thanks again for the suggestion!

You are welcome! :) A tip is to to try Extremist mode and tick Networking and User experience for Tidal. Sounds even better if it works on your setup! 

Edit: I saw that you are currently using JRMC. Another tip (if you are using Asio driver) is to consider Jplay6 and JRMC with a patch for better VDM-ASIO playback. If you buy the Fidelizer Pro version (=yet another step-up towards analogue performance...especially together with JPlay6) from Windows X you might get their patch..if you ask them nicely! 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #1,100 of 5,210

Before Jay-Z:  full CD resolution, but uneven streaming reception.  After Jay-Z:  full CD resolution, much improved streaming reliability.
Before Jay-Z:  big selection, but not as big as competitors.  After: bigger selection, catching up to competitors.
Before: no video.  After: some video.
Before:  Home page did not highlight that much hip hop.  After: more so.  But millions of songs available either way, in every genre.

Before: you think Jay-Z "and his friends" make lousy music that is badly mastered and compressed.  After: same.  But that has nothing to do with the quality/resolution of the Tidal streaming service itself.

(Also, After: Tidal commits to paying better fees to musicians than Spotify and other competitors)

reliability, cant say i noticed any difference.

collection, to me it seems all the stuff they added is stuff that im sure most existing subcribers dont give a fig about, wooo it now has taylor swift.  big woop.

video, its a music streaming service not youtube so again, if i wanted music videos id still go to youtube.

homepage, was full of thoughtfull and interesting collections and playlists.  now, playlists from some guy whos profession is throwing a weirdly shaped ball.  he has what to do with music?

surely i cant be the only person who highly valued the thoughtful musical collections they put together?

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #1,104 of 5,210
Good morning!
You are Welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope you got it running yesterday. I noticed one more thing when re-reading the posts. If using Jplay6 you will have to add Jplay driver in Asio Bridge...and have your DAC driver in Jplay settings to get it right. I am not sure if this is how you done it? Every time you make a new setting in Jplay you have to stop Asio in Asio Bridge and restart Asio after the settings is done. If this is not the case and the sound card is not bypassed you will need to change the sound output settings. It is importstopp that the players sound device AND PC's default sound device is both VB cable. Chrome player depend on the PC's default sound device. If the VB cable is not default it will not work properly.
cool.gif

I could not get it to run properly. Again, the only way i can get it to "work" is to select VB and default for playback AND recording, and under the recording option, i must "listen to device" and select my optical out as playback. The only option jplay6 gives me is to select my soundcards ASIO. However, doing this bypasses my soundcard, and windows volume control does not work. This all seems pointless though, as selecting optical out as my default device accomplishes the same exact thing, and i can also choose the bits/hz. 

My dac does not use a driver, as it is connect to my pc via optical out. my computer does not see my dac at all, the only thing that happens is the signal is transmitted from my pc, by my soundcard, to the dac.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,105 of 5,210
Since you are using Jplay in the mix you must set VB cable as Windows default sound device (with 16bit/44100 Hz setting), add Jplay Driver as your device in Asio Bridge and set Jplay Asio as your soundcard in Jplay6 to get it working properly. If you do not get any sound try to set the DAC link in Jplay on another setting (ex 350 or 170 hz) and PC buffer on 1 second or more. I hope that helps! :)

Edit: Since Jplay DAC link feature need to correspond to your DAC buffer settings you will have to find the correct setting on the DAC link. Try all settings if my two suggestions do not work.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #1,106 of 5,210
Note! My assumption is that you have not Jplay Driver selected in Asio Bridge. When that is in place you must stop Asio in Asio Bridge everytime you make changes in Jplay settings...and enable it again to see if it works with different DAC link values.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,107 of 5,210
So Tidal just released new desktop apps for both Mac and Windows.  They're in beta but no issue so far.  App basically look like Chrome browser app, which is a good thing.  And for Amarra sQ, there are no sound issues with like Chrome.  So have to see if it would be worth whatever cost to buy the integrated Amarra + Tidal app once it's released.  I would think taking one link out of the chain would improve sound quality and I'm sure there will be a trial period to confirm it.

To get new apps, just go to Tidal.com and Menu, Downloads.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,108 of 5,210
So Tidal just released new desktop apps for both Mac and Windows.  They're in beta but no issue so far.  App basically look like Chrome browser app, which is a good thing.  And for Amarra sQ, there are no sound issues with like Chrome.  So have to see if it would be worth whatever cost to buy the integrated Amarra + Tidal app once it's released.  I would think taking one link out of the chain would improve sound quality and I'm sure there will be a trial period to confirm it.

Did they incorporate offline mode?

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,109 of 5,210

Did they incorporate offline mode?

I don't see it.  It is considered a beta, so more features could be coming.

So the only issues I've had is the player paused on it own twice.  Hit play and it started right up.  The Mac player if very responsive, stopping and starting right away when using the keyboard play buttons.  I haven't had any sound issues surfing the web like I did with the old player.  So big improvement over old player.

Edit: Says it stopped playing because it was being played on another device.  So I guess not a bug.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #1,110 of 5,210
Wanted to mention they also added gapless playback on the desktop apps.  I just tested with Pink Floyd and works perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back