Tidal Lossless Streaming
Jun 4, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #1,111 of 5,210
  Wanted to mention they also added gapless playback on the desktop apps.  I just tested with Pink Floyd and works perfect.

Woohoo!
I was a bit disappointed to see it was just a browser running inside of an app (I'm pretty sure that's what's going on in there since it's the same app for Windows and Mac) but looks like there are improvements after all.
I'm still missing some of the old app's functionality like My Recommendations and the playlist suggestions. Let's hope for more features soon.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #1,112 of 5,210

Woohoo!
I was a bit disappointed to see it was just a browser running inside of an app (I'm pretty sure that's what's going on in there since it's the same app for Windows and Mac) but looks like there are improvements after all.
I'm still missing some of the old app's functionality like My Recommendations and the playlist suggestions. Let's hope for more features soon.

Yeah, the old player had the Last.FM recommendations too. I'm also not sure if the old app detected if you were using Tidal on another player or not.  

But the old had a terrible search engine and very outdated look.  It also stuttered a lot more if I was using anything else on the computer so I'm sticking with the new one.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #1,113 of 5,210

Yeah, the old player had the Last.FM recommendations too. I'm also not sure if the old app detected if you were using Tidal on another player or not.  

But the old had a terrible search engine and very outdated look.  It also stuttered a lot more if I was using anything else on the computer so I'm sticking with the new one.

The new player has better looks and better performance, that's for sure. The old player also seemed to skip tracks that weren't available in HIFI.

One more thing about the new player though, it takes up a LOT of RAM - There's a TIDALPlayer.exe process and another 3 TIDAL.exe processes and after a few hours of use they're now taking together about 800 MB of memory.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,114 of 5,210

The new player has better looks and better performance, that's for sure.

How is the sound quality?   Do you hear any improvements?

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #1,115 of 5,210

Just tested old and new Mac apps and they sound exactly the same.  So lossless stream is still lossless. I would only think the new Amarra + Tidal app would have any chance of improvement since it will be integrated and take the Amarra sound engine straight to the DAC.

I think they did fix one thing in the new app.  Before, if track wasn't lossless, it would just default back to built in sound, but now it stays on whatever output you have selected.  Sucks that record labels are still sending them lossy tracks.  At least you can tell if HIFI is no longer lit.  

And with fix, it was much easier to test difference between 320 lossy and 1411 lossless.  I can clearly hear more bass extension and better sense of space.  Just feels more involved.  

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,117 of 5,210
I just spent 30 minutes comparing various lossless 16/44.1 tracks I own in JRiver to the ones Tidal streams through their app in shared mode WASAPI. No blind testing, just switching between JRiver in AISO, JRiver in WASAPI exclusive mode, and Tidal in WASAPI shared mode. 

Even with confirmation bias (I expected AISO to sound the best), I've come to the conclusion that through my rig, all three sound 100% identical.

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #1,118 of 5,210
i use tidal beta app.
is it worth  the money  for me to buy fidelizer pro?
if yes  do ned to change with boxes i tick?

With Fidelizer Pro you will get even better sound (blacker background, wider soundstage, better details and a notch more punch), autostart, no ad and some new buttons depending on your hifi setup. For Tidal use Extremist optimization & Network Render option. Works best by optimize Tidal player instead of Jplay in my own opinion. Worth every penny if you ask me! :)

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #1,119 of 5,210
  I just spent 30 minutes comparing various lossless 16/44.1 tracks I own in JRiver to the ones Tidal streams through their app in shared mode WASAPI. No blind testing, just switching between JRiver in AISO, JRiver in WASAPI exclusive mode, and Tidal in WASAPI shared mode. 

Even with confirmation bias (I expected AISO to sound the best), I've come to the conclusion that through my rig, all three sound 100% identical.

Thanks for sharing! :) I agree with almost everything....except one thing. If you use exclusive mode (instead of shared mode) I would expect the result to be different between Asio and Wasapi depending on the Asio driver and hardware you are using. I am not saying that one is better than the other. Just if you have a good and well behaving Asio driver (like TheSycon driver for example) in exclusive mode I would personally not use Wasapi. If the Asio driver is not top notch and well behaving I would most certainly use Wasapi or KS. In my opinion you hear the real difference in exclusive mode...and not in shared mode. Still I believe there is no difference between various lossless 16/44.1 tracks...just difference between Wasapi and Asio depending on the quality of the Asio driver....and of course the hardware.

Edit: Hardware= mainly computer, USB>SPdif coverter & DAC...but OS (how well it is designed for Asio vs Wasapi) and how you play the sources (from HDD, memory or streaming) also make a difference of course.

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #1,120 of 5,210

Like others have already said, the new app, IMO sounds the same as the old app (I use both with ASIO Bridge) and slightly better than the Chrome player.
But the gapless playback in the new app does make things seem much more professional :)

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #1,122 of 5,210
Got all excited to see you guys talking about the beta for the new Mac app being available.

Deleted the version I got off greenkiwi, downloaded the new version.

Crashes. Like immediately.

Oh well, still have kiwis version till they sort it out.

I have the same problem on Windows! Tidal desktop app requires Windows 7+ or OS X 10.6+ to work. I got it to work on Vista for a short while...but eventually it crashes. I am back to my Tidal iOS app and AirServer lossless audio solution until I upgrade my laptop. 

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,124 of 5,210
Close shot with the OS X version...but this will most certainly be a fixed issue when they leave Beta. Fingers crossed! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back