Tidal Lossless Streaming
Aug 1, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #4,441 of 5,203
My chord mojo is now showing new frequencies with Tidal, is this in error? The mojo doesn't resolve MQA, so in the past I always have the red 44khz indicator, but now I'm getting 48 and 96 (beatles remasters are showing green on the mojo). Does anyone know what's going on?

edit: I did just recently switch my subscription to go through Best Buy since it's a better deal. I would be surprised if the best buy HiFi subscription is different though.

If you have Tidal hifi the default is to do software decoding of MQA. It will pass a bitstream of up to 352 KHz to your DAC.

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #4,443 of 5,203
Check your settings. In the past the app had a bug that kept pushing quality down to the 2nd level up from the bottom.

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #4,444 of 5,203
Had an update today, and am now getting static on MQA tracks. I don't have a MQA DAC. Was running it in exclusive mode previously and had no issues getting 96 and higher on my DAC. Now any MQA in 96 or higher I get major static. No issues on Qobuz running direct sound wasapi at 96 and higher. Something odd must have happened in the most recent update :frowning2: Anyone else having any issues?

Aug 28, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #4,445 of 5,203
I'm trying to download Tidal offline using the Tidal apk v2.27.2 on astell&kern SR25.

I have about 60Gb downloaded onto a 400Gb SD card.

Tidal is no longer downloading any more Offline albums, playlists etc. If I choose an album to download, it does the first 2 or 3 songs, and then hangs. I've force quit the app. I've restarted the DAP.

I've deleted one or two albums, and tried again, still gets stuck after 2 or 3 songs...

Any reason why Tidal apk is broken? Should I ditch Tidal for something else?

Kind of a bummer when the whole point of the $$ DAP and the $ 400Gb SD card is to download hi res music to play...

Aug 28, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #4,446 of 5,203
I'm trying to download Tidal offline using the Tidal apk v2.27.2 on astell&kern SR25.

Tidal is no longer downloading any more Offline albums, playlists etc. If I choose an album to download, it does the first 2 or 3 songs, and then hangs. I've force quit the app. I've restarted the DAP.

I've deleted one or two albums, and tried again, still gets stuck after 2 or 3 songs...

Kind of a bummer when the whole point of the $$ DAP and the $ 400Gb SD card is to download hi res music to play...
Have you contacted their customer support?

Aug 28, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #4,447 of 5,203
Have you contacted their customer support?
I have, but I also reckoned Head-Fi'ers would be quicker to respond, and you haven't disappointed :)

Aug 28, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #4,448 of 5,203

Not sure what version of Android is on your A&K. I am using the FiiO M11Pro, so I had to find the appropriate Tidal .apk to match the version of Android. Check the list of all the .apks at
https://mobile.softpedia.com/apk/tidal/

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #4,449 of 5,203
Anyone else notice recently with Tidal having their tracks not volume matched even if you have those settings on? I'm running a Element II through my Macbook Pro and I have tracks that are soft like whispers and then I'll get tracks where it sounds as though the dial is at 12 o'clock the next. Needless to say, I fear for the longevity of my ears! Is anyone else having the same issue since the last update?

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #4,450 of 5,203
I just found this thread today -- looking for somewhere to post what I just found. Please forgive me if this is common knowledge or has already been posted.

I just discovered by accident that using the Tidal App on Windows 10, even though in Settings->Streaming->Sound Output I was already selecting my DAC, I found if I go into (more settings) and turn on Use Exclusive Mode, the sound is superior. For a Master track, I noticed when turning this on, my DAC bitrate indication toggled from 44 to 88 or 96.

So I guess without turning this on Windows was resampling my Tidal output even though I thought this wasn't happening because I had selected the Sound Output.

Hope this helps someone; sorry if this is well known in this thread.

Sep 16, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #4,451 of 5,203
I just found this thread today -- looking for somewhere to post what I just found. Please forgive me if this is common knowledge or has already been posted.

I just discovered by accident that using the Tidal App on Windows 10, even though in Settings->Streaming->Sound Output I was already selecting my DAC, I found if I go into (more settings) and turn on Use Exclusive Mode, the sound is superior. For a Master track, I noticed when turning this on, my DAC bitrate indication toggled from 44 to 88 or 96.

So I guess without turning this on Windows was resampling my Tidal output even though I thought this wasn't happening because I had selected the Sound Output.

Hope this helps someone; sorry if this is well known in this thread.

By merely selecting the sound output device you aren't bypassing the Windows mixer, hence it will resample to whatever it is set to in the Windows sound settings. Toggling exclusive mode bypasses the Windows mixer and will therefore output the actual bitrate and bitdepth of the file that is being played.

This is common knowledge to any audiophile that uses Windows with their USB DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #4,452 of 5,203
Sep 16, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #4,453 of 5,203
By merely selecting the sound output device you aren't bypassing the Windows mixer, hence it will resample to whatever it is set to in the Windows sound settings. Toggling exclusive mode bypasses the Windows mixer and will therefore output the actual bitrate and bitdepth of the file that is being played.

This is common knowledge to any audiophile that uses Windows with their USB DAC.

That's what I said!

Except for the condescending last sentence. I usually use Tidal inside UAPP on my DAP and hence don't have to worry about it.

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #4,455 of 5,203

Users who are viewing this thread

Back