Tidal Lossless Streaming
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #4,127 of 5,203
Sorry guys, your English is impossible to understand. I get it that you want to trash Tidal and protest vigorously when anybody says things are ok. But try not to be obnoxious about it. I didn't understand what you wrote so I thought some actual info might help. My mistake :p

As far as I can tell from using the Tidal apps on Win 10 and Android, nothing has changed. I'm getting gapless playback.

I understand it could be different from other people, especially people with an agenda. But I am not going to spend any more time on that.

Sorry, English is not my native language.
People with an agenda? Seriously dude, you are very funny.
I dropped Tidal for the lack of gapless playback which worked fine in the past.
Glad it works for you, but don't assume it should work for others too or that we are some stupid people who don't have a clue.

For the record : I would be very glad to fix this issue somehow because I loved Tidal but the lack of gapless playback makes it FOR ME not useable anymore.

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #4,128 of 5,203
BTW using any streaming service over a web browser and expecting low to reasonable latency is delusional.You need a dedicated app with ASIO or WASAPI drivers and without the huge overhead of web browers.

I am not expecting anything, I'm only stating how it worked for me in the past and how it works for me now. Nothing more.
I don't care that it is not gapless over the web browser to be honest. I DO care however that it is not gapless anymore for me on the Android app.

By the way, I just tested that Teena Marie album, and for me the Tidal Android app had a noticeable gap going from track 7 to track 8. As expected sadly.

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #4,129 of 5,203
I was trying Qobuz and content does not match my preferences as well as Tidal. On the other hand, I don't find Tidal's interface to be so horrible (not the best one for sure), plus Qobuz is 5€ more expensive for hi-fi subscription, so I'll hold on TIDAL ATM (and very satisfied, if you ask me). I'm not a professional DJ and have no problems with gapless playback ^_^

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #4,130 of 5,203
Tidal and Qobuz are both 20 euro/month for 16/44.1 CD quality, no?

EDIT : you probably comparing to Qobuz Studio (Hi-Res), which is fair enough since Tidal is offering master releases in their Hi-Fi subscription plan.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #4,131 of 5,203
Tidal and Qobuz are both 20 euro/month for 16/44.1 CD quality, no?

EDIT : you probably comparing to Qobuz Studio (Hi-Res), which is fair enough since Tidal is offering master releases in their Hi-Fi subscription plan.

Yes, that is what I was comparing. With 20€ you have mqa on Tidal

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #4,132 of 5,203
We pay 11,50 Euro for Tidal hifi here. Qobuz is not available yet. And we all agree Tidal UI is terrible! But the music sounds great, so it is still worth it. If Qobuz comes at the same price I won't mind having both.

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #4,133 of 5,203
y
Sorry guys, your English is impossible to understand. I get it that you want to trash Tidal and protest vigorously when anybody says things are ok. But try not to be obnoxious about it. I didn't understand what you wrote so I thought some actual info might help. My mistake :p

As far as I can tell from using the Tidal apps on Win 10 and Android, nothing has changed. I'm getting gapless playback.

I understand it could be different from other people, especially people with an agenda. But I am not going to spend any more time on that.

BTW using any streaming service over a web browser and expecting low to reasonable latency is delusional.You need a dedicated app with ASIO or WASAPI drivers and without the huge overhead of web browers.

Just tried a pair of tracks (Dixie to Divide) from "Rock of Ages" by The Band. I know this album very well; I think I've played it more than any other album. On my first Win 10 machine (using the Tidal App) I could clearly hear a gap. On the second, a very cheap ASUS with a solid state drive (also using the Tidal App) there was no gap.

In both cases I was listening through Focal Elears plugged directly into the computer.

I can't explain it - just report it.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #4,134 of 5,203
Just tried a pair of tracks (Dixie to Divide) from "Rock of Ages" by The Band. I know this album very well; I think I've played it more than any other album. On my first Win 10 machine (using the Tidal App) I could clearly hear a gap. On the second, a very cheap ASUS with a solid state drive (also using the Tidal App) there was no gap.

In both cases I was listening through Focal Elears plugged directly into the computer.

I can't explain it - just report it.

Can you also test this on the Tidal Android app please?
Latest version of the app of course !

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #4,137 of 5,203
I have had both Tidal and Qobuz at the same time and Qobuz wins the SQ contest IMO.
I prefer Qobuz CD quality to Tidal.

Also Tidals MQA "high rez" sounds identical to me to their regular 16 bit flac. Only using their ?Win 10 app to "unfold"

Qobuz high rez sound the real deal and is worth the $25 a month IF they can improve the US music library.

So at this point I am a former Tidal subscriber

Qobuz works great on my Android 9 phone, I can download real high rez for playbook off line.
CD quality for T-mobiles network streaming seems to be the practical limit, but highrez streaming works great on fast home wifi.

New story

https://www.cnet.com/news/streaming...potify-and-tidal-with-an-audio-quality-focus/

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #4,138 of 5,203
I have had both Tidal and Qobuz at the same time and Qobuz wins the SQ contest IMO.
I prefer Qobuz CD quality to Tidal.

Also Tidals MQA "high rez" sounds identical to me to their regular 16 bit flac. Only using their ?Win 10 app to "unfold"

Qobuz high rez sound the real deal and is worth the $25 a month IF they can improve the US music library.

So at this point I am a former Tidal subscriber

Qobuz works great on my Android 9 phone, I can download real high rez for playbook off line.
CD quality for T-mobiles network streaming seems to be the practical limit, but highrez streaming works great on fast home wifi.

Agree. They clearly haven't released the entire library in the US, which I assume they will do before going live. Otherwise Qobuz would not be particularly competitive.

Feb 14, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #4,139 of 5,203
Tidal released a new update in the play Store updating their Android Tidal app to version 2.11.4.889.11

Guess what? Gapless playback is restored and working again like it should. Thank you Tidal for actually listening to your customers.

Now I got the problem that I'm liking the Hifi quality of Qobuz a little more than Tidal's. Tidal sounds more boomy, more heavy on the ears. Is this my imagination? Shouldn't be the case when comparing the exact same releases on both services, I would think.

Feb 14, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #4,140 of 5,203
Tidal released a new update in the play Store updating their Android Tidal app to version 2.11.4.889.11

Guess what? Gapless playback is restored and working again like it should. Thank you Tidal for actually listening to your customers.

Now I got the problem that I'm liking the Hifi quality of Qobuz a little more than Tidal's. Tidal sounds more boomy, more heavy on the ears. Is this my imagination? Shouldn't be the case when comparing the exact same releases on both services, I would think.

No I don't think it's your imagination.

Unless you and myself are imagining the same thing. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back