Tidal Lossless Streaming
Feb 14, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #4,112 of 5,203
The 203 and 205 can play gapless with roon but not with normal upnp. The chip does not support it. Roon use their own protocol.

Not true exactly.

Playback of music files from a directly attached hard drive -- including Gapless playback -- works just fine.

Note that Gapless is also available (for supported file formats) when playing over your house network from an SMB server!

There's a setting in Playback Setup > Gapless Playback which controls this. With Gapless Playback set to ON, Gapless will happen automatically (for supported file formats). With Gapless Playback set to OFF, you can still get Gapless using the player's own media files browser: Navigate to the starting track, then press Option -- instead of Enter or Play -- and select Gapless Play from the pop-up menu that appears.

The automatic Gapless Playback (ON) choice is particularly useful if you are selecting what to play using OPPO's MediaControl 20x app as there is no equivalent of the Option button method in that app at the moment.

(The setting exists because some playback control operations can not be used during Gapless playback. If you want those while playing files that would normally play as Gapless you can set Gapless Playback OFF -- perhaps temporarily.)

For Gapless to work, you must be playing WAV, FLAC, or APE files, and the next file must be the same format as the file currently playing: Same number of channels, sample rate and sample size. If you have Gapless Playback ON and the next file differs, you will get a gapped transition, but Gapless will resume the next time you get to a pair of files that match.

My only advice on setting up to use a directly attached drive is that you should use a drive which can be set up with external power, rather than drawing power from the OPPO's USB port. Some drives try to draw too much power, and getting the power draw specs for USB drives can be annoyingly difficult.

If the drive you want to use does not support attachment to external power, an alternative is to attach it to the OPPO through an externally powered USB hub.

If the drive offers an "automatic go to sleep" function, it is usually best to disable that, too.

Feb 14, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #4,114 of 5,203
We're talking about Tidal gapless here which you won't play over SMB or direct attached drives. Upnp with oppo does not support gapless. Roon does.

True that!
Tidal does not play gapless on Oppo, same story on my Oppo 103 by the way.

Since gimmeheadroom said his Oppo 205 did play gapless I assumed you were not talking about Tidal gapless.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #4,115 of 5,203
Just listened to that (the last two tracks on the unexpanded album, right?) and heard a noticeable a gap. I listened through headphones plugged into my computer using the most recent version of the Tidal desktop app for Windows as well as my browser (Chrome).

Further experimentation - I listened to the same two tracks on my iPad using the Tidal app - terrible gap - worse than on the Win 10 machine.

Then I listened to the same tracks on my iPad using the Tidal plug-in for LMS - either no gap or such a tiny one as to make no difference. (I thought there might be a hiccup, but there was no break in the music. Maybe if I knew the album . . .)

I can see why this is a continuing topic for discussion.:)

Yes, the regular album. I just listened to 7/8 transition on my phone, Android Tidal app. Absolutely no gap.

The native apps will likely have the best chance for low latency, web versions will be the worst. I have a very fast internet connection.

There is a timer that shows how long the track is. Do you notice the gap at the end after the track counter shows the max. time or at the beginning of the next track? Where is the delay? During the transition, or from when it hits 0 at the beginning of the next track is there a delay until that starts?

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #4,116 of 5,203
True that!
Tidal does not play gapless on Oppo, same story on my Oppo 103 by the way.

Since gimmeheadroom said his Oppo 205 did play gapless I assumed you were not talking about Tidal gapless.

Sorry for the confusion.

Tidal certainly plays gapless using the Windows Tidal app over USB to my Oppo 205 and to my Audiolab USB DAC. I don't remember any delay over SMB or dlna, I can check later.

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #4,117 of 5,203
Tidal certainly plays gapless using the Windows Tidal app over USB to my Oppo 205 and to my Audiolab USB DAC. I don't remember any delay over SMB or dlna, I can check later.

Yes it does, but that is not what maninthehighcastle and I meant. We were talking about Tidal which is already integraded in the Oppo players and playing it from there. This is 100% NOT gapless.

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #4,118 of 5,203
Yes it does, but that is not what maninthehighcastle and I meant. We were talking about Tidal which is already integraded in the Oppo players and playing it from there. This is 100% NOT gapless.

I was glad that the 205 doesn't have built in apps :wink:

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #4,119 of 5,203
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-UDP-20x-Firmware.aspx

Product Support
OPPO UDP-203/205 Ultra Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Version History

Main Version UDP20X-50-0913
Release Date: September 13, 2017

Loader Version:
TF0033

MCU Version:
MCU203-01-1118 (UDP-203), MCU205-01-1220 (UDP-205)

Download/Installation

Release Notes:

1. Added support for Roon. The UDP-203 and UDP-205 are now Roon Ready network players.
  2. Added HDR10 support for the HDMI input. An HDMI In Specs setting has also been added to the Setup Menu.
  3. Added the Gapless Playback setting in the Setup Menu to set the gapless playback mode for music files.
  4. Added support for the 21:9 aspect ratio for increased compatibility with 21:9 screen users.
  5. Improved compatibility with certain models of Seagate hard drives.
  6. Improved compatibility with Audirvana Plus.
  7. General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #4,121 of 5,203
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-UDP-20x-Firmware.aspx

Product Support
OPPO UDP-203/205 Ultra Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Version History

Main Version UDP20X-50-0913
Release Date: September 13, 2017

Loader Version:
TF0033

MCU Version:
MCU203-01-1118 (UDP-203), MCU205-01-1220 (UDP-205)

Download/Installation

Release Notes:

1. Added support for Roon. The UDP-203 and UDP-205 are now Roon Ready network players.
  2. Added HDR10 support for the HDMI input. An HDMI In Specs setting has also been added to the Setup Menu.
  3. Added the Gapless Playback setting in the Setup Menu to set the gapless playback mode for music files.
  4. Added support for the 21:9 aspect ratio for increased compatibility with 21:9 screen users.
  5. Improved compatibility with certain models of Seagate hard drives.
  6. Improved compatibility with Audirvana Plus.
  7. General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.

Yes, your point?
I told this already in post #4112

I have a 103 myself which does not have this feature, only manually possible with a button on the remote and with music files on a USB drive.

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #4,122 of 5,203
Stubborn? For Music FILES. We are in the TIDAL Thread, so please stop comparing apples with pears. :pensive:

If you're using the oppo as the output device of you pc the pc does the playback..

Amazing how he keeps saying the opposite of what we say.
Even if it means using a Tidal Windows app and putting your Oppo inbetween to just prove a point that Oppo can play gapless in some way (while this is not the cause obviously, like you said already, the PC is doing it)
And posting info from the firmware history of the Oppo 203/205 to prove his point about gapless - clearly proving he doesn't have a clue what we mean in the first place.
I even posted that info before he did, so no clue what he was trying to prove.
Very difficult to get to the bottom of this if we keep acting like this.

Good to see you and others don't act like this :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #4,123 of 5,203
Yes, the regular album. I just listened to 7/8 transition on my phone, Android Tidal app. Absolutely no gap.

The native apps will likely have the best chance for low latency, web versions will be the worst. I have a very fast internet connection.

There is a timer that shows how long the track is. Do you notice the gap at the end after the track counter shows the max. time or at the beginning of the next track? Where is the delay? During the transition, or from when it hits 0 at the beginning of the next track is there a delay until that starts?

At the end of the the the first track, both on the Windows app and the Chrome browser..

I keep thinking that those of us who can, should record the transition (via analog) and upload them, so we know what others are hearing. Not sure how to upload a sound file to this forum, and I've never uploaded to something like SoundCloud. I could upload to my Dropbox unless anyone has a better suggestion. I suggest we all use the same tracks - the Teena Marie tracks are fine.

Edit - I just listened to those tracks using the Win app on my second computer. I head no gap, although the transition sounded a bit awkward to me (similar to my experience with Squeezebox). Maybe that's how it's supposed to sound - I don't know the album.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #4,124 of 5,203
Sorry guys, your English is impossible to understand. I get it that you want to trash Tidal and protest vigorously when anybody says things are ok. But try not to be obnoxious about it. I didn't understand what you wrote so I thought some actual info might help. My mistake :p

As far as I can tell from using the Tidal apps on Win 10 and Android, nothing has changed. I'm getting gapless playback.

I understand it could be different from other people, especially people with an agenda. But I am not going to spend any more time on that.

BTW using any streaming service over a web browser and expecting low to reasonable latency is delusional.You need a dedicated app with ASIO or WASAPI drivers and without the huge overhead of web browers.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #4,125 of 5,203
At the end of the the the first track, both on the Windows app and the Chrome browser..

I keep thinking that those of us who can, should record the transition (via analog) and upload them, so we know what others are hearing. Not sure how to upload a sound file to this forum, and I've never uploaded to something like SoundCloud. I could upload to my Dropbox unless anyone has a better suggestion. I suggest we all use the same tracks - the Teena Marie tracks are fine.

This is a good point, I was thinking the same. But, now that I have a bullseye on me for trying to help these angry Tidal bashers I am not interested. Works for me, YMMV. Thanks to you for being civil :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back