Tidal Lossless Streaming
Feb 13, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #4,096 of 5,203
https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/201733627-Does-Bluesound-offer-Gapless-Playback?

In English, what that means is that Bluesound has no influence on gapless. It does not mean, as somebody said, that the Node 2i can make gapless if Tidal doesn't support it.
Seems like people are going around and around in big dumb circles taking wild guesses and making unsupportable statements.

Example albums :
Any Fabric release (fabric 01, 02, all the way up to Fabric 99)
Every Dj-kicks album
Live in Tokyo (john digweed)

Thanks I'll check on desktop, Android, and Bluesound. But without knowing those albums maybe I will not be able to notice.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #4,098 of 5,203
Try the one I mentioned - Rock of Ages, the live album by The Band. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down should segue directly into "Across the Great Divide." It does on the CD and on my rip of the CD, even listening over my network using a Squeezebox. But not on Tidal.

Thanks, I'll give it a listen.

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #4,100 of 5,203
Well Node 2i doesn't support dlna at all, so that doesn't explain why the Node 2i supports gapless.
Sounds like Squeezebox/LMS. Inherently, it does not support DLNA, but it has a proprietary system that can do gapless within its own ecosystem.

Logitech closed down Squeezebox around 2012 (boo), but left LMS open source (yay). Before and since then third parties have developed a range of plug-ins including:
  • a plug-in that can handle the stream from Tidal
  • a plug-in that can convert Squeezebox/LMS code to DLNA. As I do not use DLNA - too many wonky implementations - I do not use this.
  • a plug-in that can convert Squeezebox/LMS code for Google ChromeCasts. I do use this, but the result is not gapless.

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #4,101 of 5,203
In English, what that means is that Bluesound has no influence on gapless. It does not mean, as somebody said, that the Node 2i can make gapless if Tidal doesn't support it.
Seems like people are going around and around in big dumb circles taking wild guesses and making unsupportable statements.

Thanks for calling me someone who goes around and around in big dumb circles.
I don't care what you think, but I hear what I hear. And the node2 has always been gapless when playing Tidal and my guess is it will remain doing so in the future (whatever Tidal decides to do with gapless support).
And yes, this is something the Node2 or the Bluesound software is doing, because there is no other way anymore for me to have perfect gapless playback with Tidal besides on the Node2.

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #4,102 of 5,203
Thanks for calling me someone who goes around and around in big dumb circles.
I don't care what you think, but I hear what I hear. And the node2 has always been gapless when playing Tidal and my guess is it will remain doing so in the future (whatever Tidal decides to do with gapless support).
And yes, this is something the Node2 or the Bluesound software is doing, because there is no other way anymore for me to have perfect gapless playback with Tidal besides on the Node2.

My experience with Tidal and Squeezebox is the same. When I listened to Tidal solely through the Squeezebox/LMS ecosystem it handled my Rock of Ages test without a gap. I read somewhere that this is because the LMS software is turning the incoming Tidal stream into a continuous stream (but now, I'm way over my head:)).

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #4,103 of 5,203
I don't care what you think, but I hear what I hear.

I didn't read anything in the thread that disputed what you hear. I did read there is variation in what people are hearing.

And the node2 has always been gapless when playing Tidal and my guess is it will remain doing so in the future (whatever Tidal decides to do with gapless support).

The fact Node 2 is working gaplessly (for you- I have not verified anything here yet) and the other ways you are listening to Tidal don't does not mean that Bluesound is doing anything extra or special to support gapless. It might mean those other apps don't support it or are broken. Your statement "And yes, this is something the Node2 or the Bluesound software is doing" is not supported by anything you have said, and it's contradicted by what Bluesound says and by thinking through the issue in a logical way instead of getting angry about perceived injustices.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #4,104 of 5,203
Using the Tidal desktop app on Win 10, it is playing gapless on the albums I checked. I tried playing it over two DACs, an Oppo 205 and an Audiolab 8300CD.

For instance, Teena Marie's Irons in the Fire, the transition from track 7 to 8 is instantaneous. The end of track 7 has a good level so you can hear it very clearly.

I will try later on MQA files and more devices.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #4,105 of 5,203
Using the Tidal desktop app on Win 10, it is playing gapless on the albums I checked. I tried playing it over two DACs, an Oppo 205 and an Audiolab 8300CD.

For instance, Teena Marie's Irons in the Fire, the transition from track 7 to 8 is instantaneous. The end of track 7 has a good level so you can hear it very clearly.

That's possible. Not used the Tidal app on windows so can't comment on that.

Also try the web player please via Chrome or Firefox, that way you can compare it with my tests.

Coming back to your other post about people hearing different things is - I think - mainly because most people don't hear it or don't listen carefully enough.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #4,106 of 5,203

Just listened to that (the last two tracks on the unexpanded album, right?) and heard a noticeable a gap. I listened through headphones plugged into my computer using the most recent version of the Tidal desktop app for Windows as well as my browser (Chrome).

Further experimentation - I listened to the same two tracks on my iPad using the Tidal app - terrible gap - worse than on the Win 10 machine.

Then I listened to the same tracks on my iPad using the Tidal plug-in for LMS - either no gap or such a tiny one as to make no difference. (I thought there might be a hiccup, but there was no break in the music. Maybe if I knew the album . . .)

I can see why this is a continuing topic for discussion.:)

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #4,107 of 5,203
Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #4,109 of 5,203
I don't get it. So chromecast audio and oppo are not able to play gapless. We know that for years but i'm sitting here and listen carefully if i hear any gap between tracks but there is none...strange.
Examples: Steven Wilson - Home Invasion Live, Mars Volta Deloused in the comatorium etc. no issue at all.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #4,110 of 5,203
Which Oppo? My 205 certainly does, but there is no app on the 205. It can be used as a USB DAC.

Will get back to you guys on the other questions but maybe not until the weekend. Super busy right now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back